Duck Tales Remastered

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Khyron
Iffish

Duck Tales Remastered

Post by Khyron »

For $20, Duck Tales Remastered is old-school platforming bliss! Beautiful graphics, flawless controls, easy learning curve and all of the original voice actors returned to add tons of dialog throughout. Easy pick for a young, casual or retro-gamer.

Tyler
Mushboom

Re: Duck Tales Remastered

Post by Tyler »

I currently have next to no expendable income, but I know what is going on my birthday list.

I was a huge fan of the original. I was able to beat it on hard without getting hit once while holding the controller behind my back. In recent years I've tried playing it and it's a stretch for me to beat on easy.

I did get to test the remastered version at PAX and it played awesome, I look forward to owning this.
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

Tyler, just think if youtube would have been around when we were kids, all of those awesome video game tricks we could do would have given us our 15 minutes of fame. A buddy of mine's younger brother could beat Mortal Kombat using only his toes. Funny stuff.

Yeah, for twenty bucks it's a great deal. The graphics are great and the physics are superb. Capcom really had their act together 25 years ago and it shows here. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it given your experience with the original.
Tyler
Mushboom

Post by Tyler »

Khyron wrote: A buddy of mine's younger brother could beat Mortal Kombat using only his toes.
:o O_O :o That's insane! Mortal Combat is not an easy game! :o O_O :o

I tell the kids at my work about the days before youtube.

It's only $15 on steam right now, I'll just have to pick it up and play it. I'll definitely come back with a review and comparison to the original.
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

hmm... perhaps with the next sale, or if it is available for iOS.
I have played and finished Ducktales a few times, and even liked Ducktales 2. I really have to play this game, but would like a review first, Tyler :-)
Tyler
Mushboom

Post by Tyler »

Sorry for the delay, I finally got the game and played it through.

I thoroughly enjoyed this remake.

Gameplay:
The main thing that stands out for this game is: It is so much fun!
The controls were smooth and refined, I easily picked them up because they are exactly like the original.
The level design is well done and most sections are direct copies from the original; however, I do prefer the original levels, they had a more expansive feel and a lot of the secret areas became a required part of the level.
All thge boss fights had been revamped to be more diverse, not sure if I fully like it yet but each one was fun regardless.
The game sucked me in though, at the end I was standing up yelling at the screen saying it was cheating against me like I was eight again.

Graphics:
The graphics are beautiful.
The sprites are drawn, cell shaded style, my favorite graphical part of the game were the sprites. The sprite animations kept extremely true to the original, it was great.
The backgrounds were also done in a traditional animated style wonderfully done.
What I really didn't like were the "3D" made parts, the platform you play on and different things such as Launchpad's plane and the space ship were made in 3D. It just didn't fit with the rest of the games graphical style and looked unfinished and unrefined.

Audio:
The Audio was pretty great.
The voice acting, you can't get any better then the original cast, and I recognized various lines from the show.
The sound track was updated, some of the tracks get a bit crazy with the electric guitar but overall the sound track was great. I instantly recognized the music, they didn't change it just updated it. I really liked Transylvania's track as well as the Moon's.

Story:
The story was good classic DuckTales adventure, very whimsical, silly, and fun.
The cut scenes were tedious, especially if you play on hard because you'll be seeing them over and over again as you die. But I discovered that you can skip any cinematic small or large by going into the menu and selecting "skip cinematic", then it was good times.

Differences not addressed yet:
This game has three difficulty settings (and apparently an extreme mode to unlock) . Easy mode I would say makes the game kid friendly but then I remember how good I was at this game as a kid, so I saw that it makes it friendly to the adult who can't devote his life and attention to this game like he used to :P . In easy mode you get infinite lives.
You can swim in the money bin. Sweet!
The money you collect you can spend to unlock things like concept art, character sketches, and more that I need to unlock. This made me actually want to go out of my way to collect money and was a good reward system.
You get an intro tutorial level in scrooges money bin as you defended it against invading beagle boys. You also get a new final level, no more having to visit Transylvania 3 times (probably my favorite change).

The only reason this game would get any bad marks is because it has the original to compare to, alone this game is basically flawless and would be an awesome retro styled platformer about an awesome show.

As an added note: The nostalgia hit me hard when I went to the moon level, the music, the aliens, it all took me back.

If you were a fan of the original, get this game it is a beautiful rendition that captures the spirit and fun of the original masterfully.