Square-Enix sells Mana (and kingdom hearts) ??!!??!!

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Tallon
Kimono Bird

Post by Tallon »

ok, so back to Kingdom Hearts...Think of it this way, PS3 sales are sucking, and the company must realize that most gamers are not going to pay 500 - 600 dollars for a system so they can own Kingdom Hearts 3, so they might want to move the game over to a system that is selling well. For instance...the Wii!!!!
BuCUE
Ma Goblin

Post by BuCUE »

Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Lotus wrote:Actually if Squares contract with Disney is running low they may be forced to sell the game series off. Keep in mind the KH does NOT belong to square, it belongs to Disney.

Also Mana and Chrono are not big sellers as Square pays them little mind. If a company offers to purchase them, then Square will have more staff to a lot to FF.
Thats possible considering that S-E's main focus is FF and could care less about the rest. To be honest, Im losing a LOT of faith in that company nowadays. They only seem to care about FF and are too scared to improve on their other franchises.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Re that latest link, so if I read correctly they want to collaborate on making Serious Games, whatever the bugger that is... So they could be selling franchises to dedicate themselves to this new area?
racx_00
Eye Spy

Post by racx_00 »

I thought they lost it with all the Final Fantasy games, but I must have been wrong because this is completely buggered up. I hope this isn't true but if it is, maybe we will get some new interesting and innovative series from Square, and less Final Fantasy.

If it doesn't workout though, Square will definitely be lost I'd say.
Mark
BuzzBee

Post by Mark »

The point of all this is Square is screwed and they are pulling us down with them...
am I right or wrong to say that?
rrfish
Kimono Bird

Post by rrfish »

MOTHER F<Section censored for the sake of the children...and Danny ;-p >

This explains the recent Mana projects (as good or as poor as they may or may not be). It seemed like a quick flash to show the Mana series's potential, and gave potential buyers an opportunity to see what it would be like to work on these projects via the out sourcing. Who ever does pick up the series, I hope that they continue the legacy that started many years back. (And hopefully we will see a re-release of SoM and an official english port of SD3.)
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

Kassidy wrote:Re that latest link, so if I read correctly they want to collaborate on making Serious Games, whatever the bugger that is... So they could be selling franchises to dedicate themselves to this new area?
For those who aren't subscribed to Game Designer Magazine, Serious Games are basically... games that have practical training applications. Such as, military training games, career training games, etc. These games have the potential to be fun, but more often than not, are too real-world oriented to see much beyond the 1st-Person Shooter gamer picking these up as favorites... at least, in my opinion.

The U.S. Government has quite a bit of interest in these things, apparently; one of these was on the local news in the last month or so, pretty realistic and very interactive, but... I see a lot of war propaganda in it, if nothing else an overdose of patriotism (though, it can also be used to give people out on the battlefield a pair of eyes that are *not* entrenched in combat, so, for life-saving purposes, it has its uses). And, when I say very interactive, I mean you can actually *talk* to characters in the game and they respond to just about everything you ask. Very good conversational AI (note: this stuff works well with RPGs... I think I see Square's plan).

For career training games, there'd probably be a lot less propaganda of that sort... but like anything, you can do it to death, or you can do it right - and I think "Serious Games" is one of the ultimate oxymorons of modern days.

Back to topic though, I hope *the Ishii* (hey, maybe that's where the name of the town of Ishe came from?) sticks to the Mana series like glue, even if it leaves Square. I mean, there's plenty of people, I'm sure, who have a very good handle on what goes into the series, but... like all fan-projects, they usually don't quite capture the original weight of what the creator was trying to do. So unless the guy's retiring, I really hope the series stays with him.

As for the Chrono series... it has been a long dry spell. Longer than Mana had before LoM, I believe. If it does wind up getting bought and produced by another studio, I want to see it have superior or equal quality to what's seen in the FF franchise.

And Parasite Eve? I'm not sure how they're going to revive that... but it can't be simple.
Tallon
Kimono Bird

Post by Tallon »

I know it's not square-enix, but I was reading my Game Informer last night, and Sony lost the exclusive rights to Assassin Creed and some other game, I forgot the second one. Anyway, they were supposed to be big games for the PS3 only, but the president didn't get buy all the rights in time apparently.
rrfish
Kimono Bird

Post by rrfish »

Tallon wrote:I know it's not square-enix, but I was reading my Game Informer last night, and Sony lost the exclusive rights to Assassin Creed and some other game, I forgot the second one. Anyway, they were supposed to be big games for the PS3 only, but the president didn't get buy all the rights in time apparently.
They tried too hard, and a $600 system is not a system that will have a place in the average home. Really, who has that kind of money to drop? That is two car payments, a luxurious tattoo, a new computer, two Wii's + games, an Xbox 360 + games, a year's worth of Aikido classes, etc., etc., etc.

I'm sorry to say this, but Sony gets what it gets. They were already on the verge of bankruptcy...this can only have made the situation worse.
Marini
Zombie

Post by Marini »

To add to the woe,

I received this from my Nintendo January 2007 Handheld Gaming Newsletter:
Final Fantasy VI Advance is more than a simple port—every aspect of the game has been reviewed and enhanced. Additionally, new elements have been seamlessly merged with the original, providing unexpected surprises for longtime fans. With new dungeons, new job classes, and other exciting features, both old-school players and newcomers can enjoy this genre-defining title in a portable format...
http://ffvi.nintendo.com/teaser/

FF just keeps on coming... Sorry if you folks mentioned or posted this before.

*off topic* I might, might get FF Crystal Chronicles, though.... :/
Danny

Post by Danny »

rrfish wrote:MOTHER F<Section censored for the sake of the children...and Danny ;-p >.)
Hey, man I'm 15 not a child plus I see people using those words all the time so it's only for the children. Kind of bad for sony, but I guess that you're right. To bad the square also isn't doing that well any more. What will happen to them? Even if they disapear, there mana games will always remain classics.

Another thing, is square soft and square enix the same? I noticed that square has been making a lot of new games and selling them to others. eg. BoF 1 was sold to capcom who then made BoF 2. It's strange isn't it?
BuCUE
Ma Goblin

Post by BuCUE »

Danny wrote:
rrfish wrote:MOTHER F<Section censored for the sake of the children...and Danny ;-p >.)
Hey, man I'm 15 not a child plus I see people using those words all the time so it's only for the children. Kind of bad for sony, but I guess that you're right. To bad the square also isn't doing that well any more. What will happen to them? Even if they disapear, there mana games will always remain classics.

Another thing, is square soft and square enix the same? I noticed that square has been making a lot of new games and selling them to others. eg. BoF 1 was sold to capcom who then made BoF 2. It's strange isn't it?
Firstly : for your own good I have to put it this way, I don't mean to insult but..

Shut up, you're a child. When I was 15 I thought I knew everything, now I'm almost 21 and I know I knew nothing back then and very little more now. You think you're not a kid but when you're as old as me you see just how much of a kid you are at 15 and I suspect when I hit 25 I shall see how much of a kif I'am now. The second you claim you're not a kid, you just show you're a kid..

Square made ideas and sell said ideas. They always have, it's not until FF7 that this really stopped.
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

BuCUE, you have absolutely no right to ever tell another forum member to shut up and I don't care where you go. Least of all one who is an active and good member of the community.
Now you may consider him whatever the hell you please, but it gives you no right to call him whatever you want.
When I was 15 I considered myself a a mature person (Note I was going to say responsible, but I knew I wasn't) and looking back, I was a very mature person then. So don't push your experiences in life on anyone else.

Note to mods, sorry for Rent-A-Modding.

Anyways, I hope Square picks a new home for the Mana games who actually care about said games.
BuCUE
Ma Goblin

Post by BuCUE »

Lotus : I speak my mind and if you read my post it's not ment to offend anyone. But there isn't ANY way to put that in any other context and still say what I want it to say.

Pretty much everyone thinks they're mature at 15 and they're not even close. That is a fact of life and anyone who denies it is too young to grasp it yet.