Online relationships

A place where you can chat about whatever.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

ManaChick
Mushboom

Post by ManaChick »

:love:

Has anyone ever tried anything like that? I've been in an online relationship once but it didn't work out because we were not so committed to putting the effort and time into it to make it work out.

I think if both partners are really committed to each other and want to make it work, it can work. It is not something I would never try again for the right person. :party:

Why about you? Any experiences?
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Hmm, been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I think in certain instances it can work, just crashed horribly in my case.
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

*laughs nervously*

Been there, done that. Don't wanna do it again. My last girlfriend was someone I met online and we dated for two-and-a-half years. We - well really her, but it was a difficult situation - broke up on Valentine's Day '05.

We did everything that you could do as an online couple. From the good to the uh... not so good. I'm not going to get into that here, and really wouldn't divulge any of that to someone I didn't really trust.

Anyway, the whole thing left me fairly sour when it comes to online relationships, and truthfully relationships in general. Can't say I wouldn't do it again someday, but I certainly would go about doing it differently.
Last edited by Tsurayu on Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
se37
Mushboom

Post by se37 »

Same here, I've been there and done that and I never want to do it again. My last girlfriend was someone I met online, in fact, I met her on a message board a long time ago and knew her from online for years. We were just near our 2nd year when she broke up with me. I don't want to go into details since I don't want to reopen any old scars that it left me.

I wouldn't be open to doing it again, but only if I did it would have to be someone within driving distance or at least within 50 miles of me so I could at least see her once in a while then waiting almost 2 years before seeing them again. My last g/f lived in California and while we did see other maybe two times (once before we became a couple as friends and once after we were a couple during a anime convenstion we both went too) it still hurt and that was one of the main reasons for the break-up.
ManaChick
Mushboom

Post by ManaChick »

What would you do differently Tsurayu?

That's really rough se37 especially when you met twice before breaking it off. California? Where did you live?

Don't you think it's possible for someone to move just to be closer to the one they love?
se37
Mushboom

Post by se37 »

I live in Maryland near Washington, DC. But I do think it is possible to move closer, but at the time for me our school's didn't agree. She was only in high school and I was in college (and trust me, her parents didn't like her dating a college guy since we were about 4 years apart). I couldn't really get transfered since my grades weren't really "good" back then. I was planning on moving near her after I got out of college and she was going to be going to a college near me or when I get out of college go to a college near her home.
Ailise
Site Admin

Post by Ailise »

Kassidy wrote:Hmm, been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I think in certain instances it can work, just crashed horribly in my case.
exact same thing for me.
ManaChick
Mushboom

Post by ManaChick »

That's sad to hear se37 although 4 years apart is not a big age difference really.

You too Ailise? It looks like everyone has had an experience with this.
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

ManaChick wrote:What would you do differently Tsurayu?
Everything really. I won't go into detail since this is a family oriented site, but we did things that we shouldn't have done especially as young as we were and with how little we really actually new each other. It just made things complicated and awkward by the end.

I guess essentially I would make sure I didn't go into it like a raving teenager as I was before.
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

Never appealed to me, never cared to bother to try.

I mean sure, I've had feelings for someone online before, but in the long run it was nothing more then a silly, albeit wishful, teenage-crush.

I hate to show-off the mushier side of myself... but I give into my human-nature.
I want, nay, need some one to be there. Someone to listen, someone to hold, someone to be a physical part of my life.
Getting my ambrosia through a screen doesn't do it for me, a bit on the screen is nothing more then what it sounds like, a bit.

My personal experience with relationships aside, I just wouldn't be able to take an online relationship serious at all.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I think after a while they tend to become less "online relationships" and more "long distance relationships".
That's what happened with me anyways.

If you'd have been a couple months earlier with finding this place you'd have caught wind of the only online relationship I've been in. Seemed like it was pretty solid but I guess she had other plans.
Probably would avoid another cause distance is just painful.
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

yeah, when i was fifteen (8 years ago).
this girl in another town and we got emailing and text-messaging.
i was in love.
then i got to know her best friend and was having an online relationship with her.
again i was in love.

strangs things those online relationships.
Ailise
Site Admin

Post by Ailise »

Sheexy wrote:I think after a while they tend to become less "online relationships" and more "long distance relationships".
That's what happened with me anyways.

If you'd have been a couple months earlier with finding this place you'd have caught wind of the only online relationship I've been in. Seemed like it was pretty solid but I guess she had other plans.
Probably would avoid another cause distance is just painful.
That is so true sheexy :(
This topic is making me depressed :(
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

I've never had one of those, but I HAVE had an underage stalker... >_>
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

I should just start going around forums asking any girl if they want to be my girlfriend. :P