New Laptop? Sort of?

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Yeah it's terribly loud, louder than before I sent it in.

The fan constantly runs, even when the computer is just idling or simply using a word processor or something. If I were to take this to class with me I'd probably get kicked out of the room for being a distraction.

Then while I'm just browsing the internet and stuff it will start going really loud and eventually it'll freeze for about a minute.

It's pretty ridiculous, none of these problems existed before I sent it in.

Box should get here on Monday so I can send it all back.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Sheexy wrote:Yeah it's terribly loud, louder than before I sent it in.

The fan constantly runs, even when the computer is just idling or simply using a word processor or something. If I were to take this to class with me I'd probably get kicked out of the room for being a distraction.

Then while I'm just browsing the internet and stuff it will start going really loud and eventually it'll freeze for about a minute.

It's pretty ridiculous, none of these problems existed before I sent it in.

Box should get here on Monday so I can send it all back.
How old is the laptop?

Mine is pretty quiet but it's only about a year old. I'm working on a womans laptop right now that's extremely loud and it's only a little bit older than mine.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Yeah,

I wonder. I had a desktop once where the the fan sensor (I don't know if I'm making this up) stopped knowing when to shut the fan off so it ran continually. It probably keeps your laptop cooler but I'm sure that it will burn out much faster that way--and of course the sound is terrible. I remember it sounding like it was starting up constantly. That same intensity. Yeah, maybe something to do with the fan got knocked out of whack when they were fixing other things.

Good luck,

manaman
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

DeadWolf wrote:How old is the laptop?

Mine is pretty quiet but it's only about a year old. I'm working on a womans laptop right now that's extremely loud and it's only a little bit older than mine.
A few days over a year old. When I sent it in the fan was loud, but not this loud.

I'm thinking you might be right manaman, there is something wrong about that. And apparently the harddrive isn't seated right or something too, I gather from the diagnostics I ran.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Yesh,

Well, keep us updated. I know when I bought my Mac, I had a few hardware problems--something that Mac suggests is a Windows machine-only sort of thing--and it drove me nuts. It at least felt good for me to be able to vent.

Oh, and did I tell you that my original HP laptop didn't come with the recovery discs--instead it prompted you to burn your own. I followed the instructions but came to find out that the disc was the result of a bad burn and so midway through a reformat, I was stuck until I pleaded with HP to send me a recovery disc free of charge. Man! That was annoying!

Peace,

manaman
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

manaman wrote:Oh, and did I tell you that my original HP laptop didn't come with the recovery discs--instead it prompted you to burn your own. I followed the instructions but came to find out that the disc was the result of a bad burn and so midway through a reformat, I was stuck until I pleaded with HP to send me a recovery disc free of charge. Man! That was annoying!

Peace,

manaman
I never reinstall with the recovery disc because of the crapware that comes with it (I do it for clients because they like crap). My laptop has a recovery disc with Vista Home Premium but it won't do me much good now that I have 7 Ultimate. Not only that but I can activate the 7 key 10 more times before before I even have to worry about bugging Microsoft. So, my new recovery disc is a burnt DVD. I don't have to download drivers either.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

I only used the recovering disc for this particular laptop because it had XP Media Center Edition and all my other XP discs were professional. I actually used the Media Center features a lot, so I decided to keep it. Plus, I discovered Revo Uninstaller which made getting the crap off a lot easier. ;)
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

manaman wrote:I only used the recovering disc for this particular laptop because it had XP Media Center Edition and all my other XP discs were professional. I actually used the Media Center features a lot, so I decided to keep it. Plus, I discovered Revo Uninstaller which made getting the crap off a lot easier. ;)
I've got media center to work once with my 360. Now it just freezes up on me (360). I keep my Zune regularly synced so I can just plug it into my 360 for any music. As far as movies I can get any DVD from $0 - $5 or just plug my laptop into the TV.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Cool beans. Heh, now it's funny--since the screen is dead on that computer, I've taken to plugging it into the TV if I ever need something on it. Currently it's all apart on our dining room table as I'm trying replacing the lamp. It's the most intense thing I've done with a computer and involves soldering, so I'm a little nervous, but it's not like I'll lose anything if the screen still doesn't work. I just hope I don't screw something else up. :(
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

manaman wrote:Cool beans. Heh, now it's funny--since the screen is dead on that computer, I've taken to plugging it into the TV if I ever need something on it. Currently it's all apart on our dining room table as I'm trying replacing the lamp. It's the most intense thing I've done with a computer and involves soldering, so I'm a little nervous, but it's not like I'll lose anything if the screen still doesn't work. I just hope I don't screw something else up. :(
I can't solder so that's where I draw the line. I can repair just about anything on a PC or PSP as long as it doesn't require soldering.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Well,

I've had some experience soldering in the past, but never on a computer and never something as critical as this. I'll let you all know if it works (sorry to hijack the thread, Sheexy). It will have to wait a couple weeks, though as I'm waiting on a part plus I'll be gone all next week.

Peace,

manaman
Quemaqua
Silktail

Post by Quemaqua »

You know, laptops just don't last. Sometimes you can do okay with one for a while, but most of them seem to just die before their time. I've had really bad luck with them except for my current, which is a Toshiba Satellite. I had a super-nice desktop replacement unit for a while that was all kinds of awesome, but the company that built it really didn't have proper ventilation and it overheated at times under load. What killed it eventually, though, was the motherboard literally burned a whole in itself, and it was around $700 to replace. I said @#$* it and bought a new desktop.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Follow up: Got the laptop back finally. New harddrive and fan put in, everything is working fine. Fan is quiet and everything.

and it only took a month and a week. T_T
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Sheexy wrote:...and it only took a month and a week. T_T
I would have died.
Tyrfillich
Evil Sword

Post by Tyrfillich »

And drifted around the world as an aimless ghost due to lulz deficiency.