In the beginning . . .

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Wow,

That shakes my understanding of the sequence of the games! In a good way. I need to play the games in that order and see if it makes sense.

Thanks for your insight, kirby--even if you did just call into question the authority of the supreme Seikens fan: Sheexy. :D

Peace,

manaman
kirby
Dino Fish

Post by kirby »

Thank you for the supreme compliment manaman.

Also, another few tidbits: if you look closely at the dialogue in SwoM/FFA Medusa was always a Mavole, except when she was not in Mavolia she slowly became sick, when she died in the deserts of Jadd (I forgot the name of the exact location), her soul returned to Mavolia.

Except if you take the dialogue from DoM and apply it we can infer that sometime earlier Grantz produced a sword like Keldy did, but it was consumed by Thanatos, somehow some of that energy leaked into Medusa aka Anise, causing her sickness to come around.

If this is all true then that also means that when the 1st mana godess created the world it was one with Mavolia. So that also means that ... that ... I forgot what else I was going to say.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

Hehe!

No, I'm on board now. I just don't understand why DoM makes such a big deal of out the whole "beginning" aspect. And the name "Dawn of Mana" implies that there was no Mana previously . . .
But what you say makes sense.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Yeah, who knows. I bet it was an attempt to make a restart of the series so they thought prequel. I don't know, though. I've never thought too much on the connections between the games because it seems they just aren't overly apparent. I still say SoM is the best there is. I enjoy all the other Mana games but I've thought of their connection more in terms of style. I'd like to go back and play them all with an eye for story continuity. That will have to wait for the summer--if even that soon--however.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

Now that I see some loose connectivity, it would be fun to play them in "chronological" order and see how the connection holds.

What this series has going for it is that every game tells you a pre-history that involves some great disaster coming on the world and some hero stepping up, armed with the Mana Sword, to fix it . . . which could apply to nearly any of the other games since it's never very explicit.
kirby
Dino Fish

Post by kirby »

bastian wrote:Now that I see some loose connectivity, it would be fun to play them in "chronological" order and see how the connection holds.

What this series has going for it is that every game tells you a pre-history that involves some great disaster coming on the world and some hero stepping up, armed with the Mana Sword, to fix it . . . which could apply to nearly any of the other games since it's never very explicit.
You are not kidding, Bastian.

Wait a minute I just thought of something! What if each time there is a new Godess of Mana, a new mana sword is mande?
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

. . . That doesn't seem likely because we never hear of the Mana Sword being destroyed and in SoM, we see a rusty old sword, long forgotten in a rock and known only as a shiny treasure to locals, as the Mana Sword. Furthermore, we hear in the intro to SoM, that the Mana Sword goes by many names but all of them point to one sword. So, not only is the sword in the Mana series the Mana Sword, but Excalibur, Gigas and others from other stories are all the Mana Sword. CoM sort of messed up some of this idea, though. . . .
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

Except in cases where the sword is destroyed (SD3), in which case a new mana sword would have to be forged or brought into existence in some other manner, after the thousand years it takes for a new tree to bloom.

Though TBH, I still prefer to think of most of the games as being unrelated.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

We've seen in DoM that the Mana Sword can be born anew fairly easily. Do we know how any other Mana Swords came to be? In DoM it is born of the seed in Keldy's hand from the Mana Tree . . . and we know that the creation myth of Fa'Diel states that the Goddess used the Mana Sword to create the World . . . so She creates it, I suppose, of her own will. Do we have any other stories about how any of the other Mana Swords came to exist?

As for the games connecting or not, I know Ishii says that they don't connect ((unless otherwise stated otherwise (DoM -> CoM -> PoM and HoM -> SD3)) by the games themselves) but are the same "karmic" tellings of the same story. Does he mean us to believe that SD3/HoM takes place in a parallel world at the same time as one of the other games? Or maybe not even a parallel world at all, but an entirely different world? Maybe SD3 isn't Fa'Diel but an entirely different world. Which would make sense since HoM goes out of the way to explain that Anise is not from that world at all. And SD3 makes it pretty clear that Mana Sanctuary (Illusia) is in another world.

So the way I see it is that SwOM/DoM/CoM/PoM/SoM all take place in the same world and then HoM/SD3 take place in an unrelated world (except that there's a portal to Illusia in Fa'Diel) at the same time.

maybe.

Okay, I'm done rambling for a bit. :P
Last edited by bastian on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kirby
Dino Fish

Post by kirby »

bastian wrote:We've seen in DoM that the Mana Sword can be born anew fairly easily. Do we know how any other Mana Swords came to be? In DoM it is born of the seed in Keldy's hand from the Mana Tree . . . and we know that the creation myth of Fa'Diel states that the Goddess used the Mana Sword to create the World . . . so She creates it, I suppose, of her own will. Do we have any other stories about how any of the other Mana Swords came to exist?

As for the games connecting or not, I know Ishii says that they don't connect ((unless otherwise stated otherwise (DoM -> CoM -> PoM and HoM -> SD3)) by the games themselves) but are the same "karmic" tellings of the same story. Does he mean us to believe that SD3/HoM takes place in a parallel world at the same time as one of the other games? Or maybe not even a parallel world at all, but an entirely different world? Maybe SD3 isn't Fa'Diel but an entirely different world. Which would make sense since HoM goes out of the way to explain that Anise is not from that world at all. And SD3 makes it pretty clear that Mana Sanctuary (Illusia) is in another world.

So the way I see it is that SwOM/DoM/CoM/PoM/SoM all take place in the same world and then HoM/SD3 take place in an unrelated world (except that there's a portal to Illusia in Fa'Diel) at the same time.

maybe.

Okay, I'm done rambling for a bit. :P
Woah! I understood what you said in the first paragraph but then you lost me. I have only played SwoM, DoM, and SoM.
Why I asked in my previous post if a new mana sword is made with the awakening of a new Mana Godess is because of that reason though.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

You haven't played the glory that is SD3? Blasphemy! :P

Anyway, sorry about the ramble. I was all hopped up on Mana because of my DoM remake.

Basically I was saying that I disagree with Ishii that these are all "karmic retellings of the same story" because they are all so different. And also because apart from Heroes of Mana/SD3, they all seem to take place in the same world. Well. Legend of Mana is debatable.
Tyrfillich
Evil Sword

Post by Tyrfillich »

Hm. All of that sounds pretty good to me, but I always thought SoM was the chronological first; simply because of all the references to modern day real life. I always figured we blow ourselves up, SoM takes place once nuclear winter dies down, and everything else follows after. Hm.
kirby
Dino Fish

Post by kirby »

Tyrfillich wrote:Hm. All of that sounds pretty good to me, but I always thought SoM was the chronological first; simply because of all the references to modern day real life. I always figured we blow ourselves up, SoM takes place once nuclear winter dies down, and everything else follows after. Hm.
I really have no idea what you just said, probably because I am going insane due to the lack of people on the site the last couple of hours. I think I should log off soon because I can not see the computer completely.
Tyrfillich
Evil Sword

Post by Tyrfillich »

Apparently you've never finished SoM either...

Near the end of the game you battle your way through a functional subway. Never mind the old folks who point out the ancients used a strange device called "veedios" to view past events as they pleased; or that they even had clips from the news and even Jeopardy they could listen to.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Oh, yeah. Sheesh--I may quit my short-lived goal of playing Final Fantasy games and go through my beloved series again!