Anime Thread 2.0

Multimedia discussion fun for all!

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Marini
Zombie

Post by Marini »

hi hi, folks,

I used to be avid anime fan and although I didn't watch a whole lot I did watch the series that used to come on the Cartoon Network or Adult Swim and some local stations when everybody jumped on the anime bandwagon. After a while I just didn't care for much of the newer stuff that came out. Maybe it had something to do with the American dubbed Naruto but I just wasn't as in to it as I use to be. Plus, it got expensive! :P

My favorite anime are older series: DBZ, Sailor Moon, Magic Knight Rayearth, Cardcaptor Sakura (subbed version), and Sakura Wars

Some of the newer series I liked were: Naruto (subbed version but I didn't get to see them all!-_-; ), Last Exile(need to finish watching) and Twelve kingdoms.

My favorite of these has to be Twelve kingdoms (this might change once I finish Last Exile ^_^ ). Just the sheer scale and size of this series (45 episodes) is amazing and beautifull. It was a gem to be able to see this in Japanese with subs. I usually don't mind the dub or the sub unless the dub is poorly done. But I felt this was one anime that better see with Japanese VO.

I also like Howls Moving Castle and Kikki's delivery service :)
Danny

Post by Danny »

My sister loves Howl's moving castle and Kikki's delivery's service as well as many others in those series. I never really got them... Anyways, I also really liked another pretty old anime called Saint Seiya/Knights of the Zodic. Once agian, it was really messed up in English.

Well, at least in Canada I know that they edited out fighting and made the blood green, blue, white ot transparent. They waren't fooling anyone, it was blood! But they did annoy the heck out of some people like me. It was a lot better in original Japanese (the Canadian voices were once again not good), so I did watch this series off the web in original Japanese with English subtitles.

This anime was popular in about the same time that DB/Z, Record of the Lodoss War, Flames of Recca and Yu Yu Hakusho were. There were also others, but these were my favorites.
Marini
Zombie

Post by Marini »

Correct me if I'm wrong, Danny, but I always felt Canada had easier access to Anime than in the US. I mean there are a wider range of shows that are broadcasted. I remember the anime here would be scattered -- shown on only few stations at best and at the time, I believe, the Anime Network wasn't available in the US so the anime on the airwaves was limited.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Nope, the U.S has way more animes then Canada has. We only get five animes once a week (on Fridays) on Y t.v. Canada really messed up DBZ and many other animes, now their importing them better already translated by Texas (U.S).

The U.S has way more and better anime channels since they have more relations with Japan then Canada does and their also better at translating and doing less sditing then Canada. In the U.S you could also have the good old European cartoon network, in Canada you can't since they have their own worse and copied shows (let's not go there ^_^) .
Last edited by Danny on Wed May 30, 2007 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

OK, random question of the hour... how come 90% of male primary characters in US dubbed anime sound like surfer dudes?
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

@ Kass: Thats too high of a percentage if you ask me...As someone who lives in a state swarming with surfers (especially around the beach areas), I can say that not a lot of the American VA's make their characters sound like that.

@ Danny: We don't get many anime channels here, all we have is the Anime Network (run by ADV) and the FUNimation Channel. We have other TV stations that show anime, like Cartoon Network and some of the movie channels, but they're not showing anime all the time.

As far as DBZ goes, I still think that the Ocean Group (Canada-based VA studio) did a better job in terms of acting. The "butchering" was made by liscencing group, FUNimation, under the pretense that animated programs were for children. Of course, with their current re-make of DBZ and anime like Shin Chan and Desert Punk, they've grown out of that mentality. The new dubbing for DBZ was satisfactory for what it was, considering that the cast seemed fairly new to the industry so it took a while for them to get into their characters, and even longer for fans to grow into the new voices.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Duran wrote:Shin Chan
That show scares me so much.

And yet... I cannot stop watching... T_T
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Sheexy wrote:
Duran wrote:Shin Chan
That show scares me so much.

And yet... I cannot stop watching... T_T
Oh my god...that show can be so wrong, but its downright hilarious... :D
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Duran wrote:@ Kass: Thats too high of a percentage if you ask me...As someone who lives in a state swarming with surfers (especially around the beach areas), I can say that not a lot of the American VA's make their characters sound like that.
Yeah, I think I may have let myself get carried away with hyperbole. I seem to come across too many examples in what dubs I have heard (generally I stumble into them when an anime has dual-audio and I forget to switch it), I guess. Plus I'm also unfairly stereotyping "surfer dudes".

And yes, Shin Chan is scary. xD
Elazul
BuzzBee

Post by Elazul »

Danny wrote:My sister loves Howl's moving castle and Kikki's delivery's service as well as many others in those series. I never really got them... Anyways, I also really liked another pretty old anime called Saint Seiya/Knights of the Zodic. Once agian, it was really messed up in English.

Well, at least in Canada I know that they edited out fighting and made the blood green, blue, white ot transparent. They waren't fooling anyone, it was blood! But they did annoy the heck out of some people like me. It was a lot better in original Japanese (the Canadian voices were once again not good), so I did watch this series off the web in original Japanese with English subtitles.

This anime was popular in about the same time that DB/Z, Record of the Lodoss War, Flames of Recca and Yu Yu Hakusho were. There were also others, but these were my favorites.
Saint Seiya was a huge success here in my country. it is probably the first anime that I've watched, I can think it as a part of my childhood. :-P
The anime was so popular that some years ago, they re-dubbed it and put the anime on TV again. and it still on air in a channel. They even put the vocalist of a heavy metal band to sing the opening theme. ^^

The portuguese(brazilian) dub of this anime is good, but I still prefer the japanese one. :P
Danny

Post by Danny »

Duran wrote:@ Danny: We don't get many anime channels here, all we have is the Anime Network (run by ADV) and the FUNimation Channel. We have other TV stations that show anime, like Cartoon Network and some of the movie channels, but they're not showing anime all the time.

As far as DBZ goes, I still think that the Ocean Group (Canada-based VA studio) did a better job in terms of acting. The "butchering" was made by liscencing group, FUNimation, under the pretense that animated programs were for children. Of course, with their current re-make of DBZ and anime like Shin Chan and Desert Punk, they've grown out of that mentality. The new dubbing for DBZ was satisfactory for what it was, considering that the cast seemed fairly new to the industry so it took a while for them to get into their characters, and even longer for fans to grow into the new voices.
So the U.S has Anime Network, Funimation Channel, Cartoon Network and some other channels that sometimes have animes. Ok, now Canada has 5 animes on only Y-T.V once a week on Fridays. And those animes are Fullmetal Alchemist, Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny, Bleach and Eureka Seven. I have to wait until Friday just to see them... and a lot of them are unchaged repeats. I think they took out Hack./sign for Bleach.

Double checks: Yeah they did. And even that was repeated about 3 times before they changed it. Same with many others.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Wow...you get Gundam SEED? I feel sorry for you...
Danny

Post by Danny »

Huh, why? Gundam Seed is pretty good. We had the original Gundam Wing a long time ago along with a lot of other animes that are now gone like DBZ, Saint Seiya, Escflowne (I can't remember that correct spelling for that one) and many others.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Gundam Seed was pretty much every cliche from the entire gundam series crammed into one. Its even worse because its being milked by the sequel series, a movie, and a rumored 3rd series.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Crammed into one... that sounds a lot like what I do with my mangas! Mixed games, ToP, SoM, SD3, SwoM, Shining force 1 and 2. I'm going to start on my own manga ideas from now on.

Gundam Seed is followed by it's sequel, Gundam Seed Destiny. Ironicly, on t.v Gundam Seed comes on before Gundam Seed Destiny. It's still a pretty good anime, I like it, but it's not quite as good as the original Gundam Wing. It's does however give the meaning behind 'Gundam'. That's something original.