Constructive Critism Please

Show off your mad skills and exchange creative tips.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

ryoko126
Dark Knight

Post by ryoko126 »

I am working with coloring my drawings in photoshop, but this is the extent of my know-how. I want to make it seem a bit more realistic, and smooth. Any ideas on tutorials or anything?

Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Hey, nice drawing.

The left arm is a bit odd below the shoulder..

Perhaps you could add some highlights for added realism?
ryoko126
Dark Knight

Post by ryoko126 »

That's what I posted, I don't know how to. This is litterally the best I can do in photoshop, I'm afraid. I need some good tutorials.
IrishLuiz
Wizard Eye

Post by IrishLuiz »

hey ryoko, i did a lot of photoshop coloring in my life (im a graphic designer).

Well, its hard to say by the net, but ill try to help ya with things i do.

-First, pass your original image (in case you made it in pencil pen, etc..) in some good degree of Levels (image<adjustment<levels) and make sure you have a good amount of black in the outline.

-The white background will probably become gray with the levels, so adjust the Contrast and brightness(image<adjustments<brightness/contrast), and you'll have a white background with black drawing lines.

-duplicate the layer. You'll work at the bottom layer, so put the layer above at Multiply, and do your colouring at the bottom layer (or more layers if you must). This will make your work A LOT EASIER, since the layer above will keep your outlines untouched.

-use the Polygonal Lasso tool to make quick selections of areas you wanna colour. You can do miracles by making these quick selection and adding some shade to them ( a cool way to do shadowing is: have your area selected, then use a difused Brush with a big size, far from the selected area. This will create a "spray-like" shadowing that doesnt look artificial.)

-use different layers everytime you can. you can put up some cool colour and layer mixing effects by using Blending modes at layers, such as multiply, overlay, colour burn etc..)

Hope it helps! Whenever i get the time i'll show ya some of my colouring at photoshop ^_^
ryoko126
Dark Knight

Post by ryoko126 »

That will help alot. Thank you!!!! *bows to your awsomeness.* I'll be sure to try it next time.
IrishLuiz
Wizard Eye

Post by IrishLuiz »

Thats great!

An awesome thing to do also, is to fuse textured images into your colouring. See these images im putting here? These are pages frin a Children's Folklore book that i made with some friends. You can see that i used a lot of scaned textures (wood, fabric, snake skin, etc..) you just have to manipulate them into a colour that fits your artwork (good way to do: Image<adjustments<Hue/Saturation. If can either manipulate these colours directly or click Colorize).

ryoko126
Dark Knight

Post by ryoko126 »

Ok, note taken. btw I noticed your sig. So you're a Chrono Cross fan too? Awsome!
IrishLuiz
Wizard Eye

Post by IrishLuiz »

im a mad fan of Cross!!!!! still dream with the day a new game will come #_#
ryoko126
Dark Knight

Post by ryoko126 »

They were supposed to make Chrono Break but they quit the project. It's a shame... But on Chrono Cross. I'm a Glenn fan.
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Heh. I think I've played CC three times now, and never got Glenn. Plain old guys with swords are so boring. Kid is my favorite :)

Luiz's tip of keeping the outlines in a separate layer is a good one, although I think it'd be easier to just make it transparent in between the lines and keep it at Normal mode. When you do that, you don't need to pay as much attention to staying inside the lines in the lower layers.

Layers are good for lots of things because they allow you to manipulate stuff a lot without touching the original image. If you make a mistake, you only have to undo what you did to that layer. Shading and highlights are easily added with Burn/Dodge or Addition/Subtraction modes.

Do you use a tablet/pen? Then you can just sketch in the highlights if you want with a brush (either use pressure for opacity, or set it to something like 50% and use multiple strokes for more effect).

Lasso selections are handy to quickly limit a tool to some areas. If you're working at a high resolution (like scanned original artwork for example) that is. At low resolutions (like avatars), they're a pain to get exactly right without leaving some pixel artifacts. Selection by color is a good alternative, and you could always use the selection mask editor if you need really fine control.

Btw, I use the Gimp, not Photoshop, so I may get some terms different.
Last edited by Kimiko on Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.