"n00bz"

A place where you can chat about whatever.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

rrfish
Kimono Bird

Post by rrfish »

Of all the ass lancing words, none tweak me the wrong way worse than the word "n00b."

So I was playing World of Warcraft Saturday and I was counselled by a GM who had a problem with my language.

[Okay first off my language isn't that bad. I'll use certain words in proper situations to emphasise a point or an idea. Second off I'm paying $15+ a month to play that game. That $15+ a month gives me the right to say whatever I feel like saying with the exception of basic restrictions -racism, sexism, threats, etc. And if folks are really offended they can utilize the profanity filter. None the less:]

As the GM was counselling me, over general chat, a couple of my oh so bloody favorite "l337 sp33k" gamers were bitching about a couple of "n00bz." [Honestly if they had such a problem with these "n00bz" then perhabs they should not have been in the new character area...i.e. Valley of Trials.] So I interrupted the GM and asked if he was going to continue to allow these particular folks to go on calling new players "noobz" . He/She/It asked me why?

I explained that when I used particular words it was never to just throw them around, but to enrich, enhance, and emphasize specific thoughts and ideas. They weren't being crudely tossed about, but rather utilized with intent and purpose. I explained that he was asking me to stop using said words because they were "offensive" and because everyone recognized them as "bad" words.

I then explained that "n00bz" is simply gamer "sp33k" for "F-you." It is malicious, offensive, foul, and used for the purpose to speak down to others. I explained that if he was going to counsel anyone, he should counsel the folks whose chat messages look like the dictionary exploded.

Though the GM didn't talk to those kids, he/she/it did leave me alone after that...and I wasn't temporarily banned (I thought for sure I was going to be).

Anyhow, that was just my rant I needed to vent. Morale of the story:

Being offended by insults and words shouted by online gamers from behind their computer screens is like being offended by the old homeless guy when he says that you stink.
Last edited by rrfish on Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Stop being such a n00b RRFish.
Geez, you act like you just discovered the interweb.

:P

I've never really done any online games, but I'm kinda surprised that a GM on WoW would get on your case about cussing, that seems kind of weird. I have some friends who play and they swear like pirates and they've never had anyone confront them.
Maybe you just got stuck with a random up tight dude or something, seems kinda weird to me.
I do wish that all of the "super awesome cool" 1337 5p34k and little AOL kid talk never caught on so much, it's really flippin' annoying. Just little kids trying to be awesome or something. Darned little kids trying to be awesome, they're no match for us!
Anyways, you won't see any of that kind of talk here on Seikens because I'll either delete it or do my best to translate it.

And also, if a stinky hobo told me I was stinky, I'd be a little bit worried. And possibly scared.
Haha.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

A slightly off-topic addendum to this topic, but Australia is apparently allowing text/l33t-speak in academic exams. I hope I'm not the only person to find this to be an abomination.
rrfish
Kimono Bird

Post by rrfish »

Kassidy wrote:A slightly off-topic addendum to this topic, but Australia is apparently allowing text/l33t-speak in academic exams. I hope I'm not the only person to find this to be an abomination.
And the signs of the times shall be thusly:

"There shall be wars and rumours of wars. Brother will rise against brother, son against father, and daughter against mother. The earth shall tremble with great quakes and the winds and the waters shall consume nations whole. Thus I say unto you when the final hour approaches "l337 sp33k" shall be written in the halls of great knowledge and wisdom. Therefore, when these signs come to pass, look up for the end is nigh."
-RRFish 13:13-17

Sheexy wrote:I've never really done any online games, but I'm kinda surprised that a GM on WoW would get on your case about cussing, that seems kind of weird. I have some friends who play and they swear like pirates and they've never had anyone confront them.
Probably, and that is probably why I didn't get a temporary ban. Though I would have fought it if I had been banned. I haven't altered my behaviour (which is relatively sound) since then, and I haven't been "talked to" since then. Hypocrisy just really bothers me...as well as "l337 sp33k." (Bloody exploding dictionaries!)
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

1337 sp33k, 5p0ken 8y 13yo n00bs.
No honor to those people, and no honor to those who feel offended by it.
Varius41
Eye Spy

Post by Varius41 »

RRFish, I feel your pain.

I have been counseled by WoW GM's for similar things. The hardest thing is to really know how the word is being used... Which is the beauty of the english language. You can use a word in a derogative demeaning sense, and then turn around to the person next to you and use it in a completely different way.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, I have no train of thought today... which is bad, 'cause I have a test, and homework to do real fast before the clas.

Question: What server do you play on? I'm on Draenor... and on the beta /flex
rrfish
Kimono Bird

Post by rrfish »

Varius41,

It's okay. I never have a train of thought. It derailed long ago.

As for servers, I play on the Blackwater Raiders RP server. BTW- how do you like their new patch? I love the new images and names for various spells and items, I even noticed an increased frame rate, however I am none too impressed that the LUA "fix" negated the older and current "addons." Not to mention some foul ups in the the macro's as well.
BlueGenomes
Tomato Man

Post by BlueGenomes »

I think the whole l33t and n00b thing is pretty annoying. Don't know what else to say about it, but there's tons of cocky 14 year olds out there playing Halo and other games like that who over-do it. Oh well I guess...they're the ones that suck, you know?
Krow
Mushboom

Post by Krow »

To each his own I guess guys : / .
racx_00
Eye Spy

Post by racx_00 »

Kassidy wrote:A slightly off-topic addendum to this topic, but Australia is apparently allowing text/l33t-speak in academic exams. I hope I'm not the only person to find this to be an abomination.
If that is true, then I can no longer say much for this country...

As for that evil word starting with an n, I refuse to say it and can't stand those that do. Especially my friend who says it to my face everytime he sees me.
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

You may, as Danny did, have noticed that I am skilled with the l33t5p34k. I find no particular pride in this, and do it mostly out of mockery of those who do use it. And then there is |/|y 0//|| L/||gu/g3 t|-|/t 1 u53 3||tir31y t0 |/|/k3 c0|/|pr3|-|3||510|| i|/|p05518L3, which I use to provoke the users of l33t5p34k even further, in the hopes that they will drop it and return to more recognizable writings.

Perhaps this "|/|0ck-sp33ch" of mine should be used to show educators the meaning of nonsense, so as to help them better recognize the kinds of things that do not belong in classrooms - much the way that it's fairly well-recognized that paper airplanes are a leisure-time activity.

n00bz, indeed.
Last edited by The J Person on Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

The J Person wrote:... |/|y 0//|| L/||gu/g3 t|-|/t 1 u53 3||tir31y t0 |/|/k3 c0|/|pr3|-|3||510|| i|/|p05518L3...
LAWL.
'Nuff said.
racx_00
Eye Spy

Post by racx_00 »

The J Person wrote:/|y 0//|| L/||gu/g3 t|-|/t 1 u53 3||tir31y t0 |/|/k3 c0|/|pr3|-|3||510|| i|/|p05518L3
Well it's always fun doing that to confuse the 1337 peoples. XD
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

I often find talking to them in English confuses them more.
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

Hexadecimal, Binary, and Base 3 seems to confuse them more.