Secret of Mana remake for Mobile phone

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Square is all about false hope. I thought for sure they were bringing SD3 to the states. Front Mission was ported over to the DS. Heroes comes out referencing SD3 so that seemed like a good sign at them time. A DS release of Chrono Trigger comes out showing that they are still loyal to their older gamers. It's like they are giving hints that there may one day be a US release of SD3.
nick912012
Pebbler

Post by nick912012 »

An SD3 port or remake was for sure going to happen. I don't have proof, but it just is dead obvious. It's in high demand and has been hinted at so many times. I don't think they understand that just because Heroes of Mana sold poorly, a good game like SD3 won't sell bad. They just need promotion, which is easy since they're Square. There's already a good amount of SD3 fans waiting for it, but they won't give it to us. All they dished out was subpar games and that led to the series's potential death.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Reverend: Please to be buying everyone on Seikens the cheapest mobile phones you can while you're in Japan, and load them up with SD Mobile, Friends of Mana and SoM Mobile. :heart:

:P
Fates
Lullabud

Post by Fates »

nick912012 wrote:An SD3 port or remake was for sure going to happen. I don't have proof, but it just is dead obvious. It's in high demand and has been hinted at so many times. I don't think they understand that just because Heroes of Mana sold poorly, a good game like SD3 won't sell bad. They just need promotion, which is easy since they're Square. There's already a good amount of SD3 fans waiting for it, but they won't give it to us. All they dished out was subpar games and that led to the series's potential death.
Promotion would help, but I think the fanbase here would promote it by word of mouth immensely. Every youtube video relating to SD3 talks about a port, and these people would explode if it were announced. It would be HUGE news. Even among gaming journalists who also realize how big of a miss it was back then would make note of it.

Heroes of Mana flopped... and I hope they don't read that as "well people must hate SD3 too!". Because HoM was a badly put together RTS and that has nothing to do with SD3.

I don't think SD3 will ever make it over here. I have a bad, bad feeling any SD3 port may go to mobile phones, and again be missed here.

If they're smart, they'll go the DS route and give japanese fans and for the first time ever (and like 14 years late), english speaking fans the game they wanted so bad.
Abdul_Moti
Specter

Post by Abdul_Moti »

yep, and talking about Heroes, they should put it on PC, making it something like C&C or War/StarCraft series. such immense mistake to put it on DS that could wither Mana series.

Those Squee people are to learn, and we hope that the prologue words in Front Mission 3 (mankind never learns) won't apply.
Fates
Lullabud

Post by Fates »

It's not so much that it was a DS game as much as it was it was just a bad DS game. Theoretically, stylus controlling works for RTS, just not on such a fast paced scale. An example would be Revenant Wings... while not a stellar game, it at least worked.

Heroes of Mana did not.

And the mobile games have no music? What the heck? Can you play these games without their music!? I pray Seiken Densetsu 3 does not go this route. Seriously, I love that game's music so much it's one of the few soundtracks I coughed up the cash to import.

Even Seiken Densetsu 2's music... how can you fight bosses without that intense battle theme rolling!? How can you wander through Thanatos' dungeons without that creepy ringing-bell (or whatever that sound was) music?

Dragon Quest III was recently announced for cell phones too... how can you play Dragon Quest without Koichi Sugiyama's music? That's like having Dragon Quest without Akira Toriyama. It just ain't right! -_-;

Also... has anyone found it odd that Seiken Densetsu 3 has yet to appear on the Virtual Console even for Japan?
Last edited by Fates on Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Ouch, I didn't know they didn't have music in them. That makes sense, considering the limitations of the machine, but really I couldn't imagine playing them without the tracks.

Yeah, I wonder why SoM would make it to virtual console but not SD3.

Does Japan get virtual console updates that the US doesn't, or do they both get the same things? I don't pay attention to that stuff so I dunno.
Fates
Lullabud

Post by Fates »

Yeah, japanese VC is different from the US'.

We don't have access to their games unless a special event, such as the Hanabi Festival for EU, where "imports" were made available for a while.

We got Seiken Densetsu 2/Secret of Mana a little later than Japan did.

The fact Seiken Densetsu 3 isn't on VC... I dunno, it just makes me think they may have something else in store for it. Chrono Trigger too, never appeared on the VC either, not for JP, EU, or US, likely because they wanted to market it as they did with the DS port and obviously a cheaper VC release would hinder that, even with added content.

Now, I'm not jumping the gun. In fact, I'm pretty certain we'll still never get Seiken Densetsu 3 at all =(... but there are a lot of things to be seen that certainly hint at it. Such as Heroes of Mana being a prequel, leading in to it, and Seiken Densetsu 2 just being released for mobile...

... which could lead to SD3 going mobile too. Meaning we're boned. Again.

Oh and for the "no music" thing, going by Questor's post which seemed to indicate bits about it. But I should point out the trailer that showed gameplay had no music in it so it fits.

Probably was done to save strain on the already generally weak phone batteries. That's why I really can't see Seiken Densetsu 3 work on cell phones unless it's really, really dumbed down.

Sorry, this topic makes me ramble. ^-^; I've been avidly hoping to see SD3 again for 11 years-ish now, and I feel like we have the best chance we ever had of doing so with the DS... of course leave it to ol' Square Enix to let people down, huh?
Last edited by Fates on Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quemaqua
Silktail

Post by Quemaqua »

They're pretty good at that when they want to be.
Abdul_Moti
Specter

Post by Abdul_Moti »

Creep, if SD3 shall be made mobile, maybe I'll re-play that ancient USSR game Tetris. Even it has Kalinka (Russian folk song), and I'll jump on my portable helicopter then make some demonstration.

Still, it is just "maybe" and "if".

Speaking of which, welcome back to comrade Quemaqua, who is MIA for some months.
Last edited by Abdul_Moti on Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryoko126
Dark Knight

Post by ryoko126 »

Abdul_Moti wrote:Creep, if SD3 shall be made mobile, maybe I'll re-play that ancient USSR game Tetris. Even it has Kalinka (Russian folk song), and I'll jump on my portable helicopter then make some demonstration.

Still, it is just "maybe" and "if".

Speaking of which, welcome back to comrade Quemaqua, who is MIA for some months.
What's wrong with Tetris? You should try the even more ancient Oregon Trail.

Here's a parody of it from Mega64
http://mega64.com/2009/07/03/oregon-trail/
Tyrfillich
Evil Sword

Post by Tyrfillich »

Either that or if they try to "remake" it, such as the canned Megaman 64 project or these horrible excuses for Zelda games that are coming out now. If I ever came across a fluorescent Kevin going on some Richter Belmont-inspired monologue about the darkness within him I would shoot Square Enix in the FACE.
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

Tyrfillich wrote:Either that or if they try to "remake" it, such as the canned Megaman 64 project or these horrible excuses for Zelda games that are coming out now. If I ever came across a fluorescent Kevin going on some Richter Belmont-inspired monologue about the darkness within him I would shoot Square Enix in the FACE.
I find myself very torn on this subject. I really want SD3 to get more mainstream western attention because I feel that it deserves it, but I also often find myself a part of the crowd that doesn't like to see reimaginings of the games/shows that are dear to me... I get nightmare flashes every time I think of Bubblegum Crisis 2040...And sometimes sequels and prequels can be just as bad.

While there are exceptions to every rule of course, such as my favourite series of all time ever in the whole multiverse itself being a remake, like you I worry too much about all the things that could go wrong.

I know that ultimately that it's all talk and speculation on my part, but even if SD3 were to be translated as it is and kept clean, I don't think it would draw significant attention because it doesn't tick all the dazzling visuals and melodrama boxes that mainstream audiences would require it to.

Any upturn in interest would likely be short lived, and in the end the following's only benefit would be the translation itself.

As much as my selfish brain doesn't want anything bad to happen to it, a remake is probably the best, if not the only way for SD3 to succeed in the modern market.

Blah.

But hey, if the original game's style is retained, how awesome would it be to see all the characters in high resolution, super detailed 3D models? Being able to see facial expressions of enemy characters when they spout their evil monologues and tragic death speeches. :P An improved battle system, big detailed bosses. I can just picture Zable Fahr's floating heads inside a black swirling void and the Dragon Emperor perched on the smouldering remains of the mana tree, baring all his teeth at the party, sending the air rushing by the party as he roars. Kyaaa~

But that's all in my head, and as hard as I may try, Square won't receive my brain messages.

I just don't know. I know a remake wouldn't make the original any less special, but I'd want it to be just as, if not more special to me and all its potential audience.
Tyrfillich
Evil Sword

Post by Tyrfillich »

Hey, SD3 redone in the style of Tales of Symphonia.

Gentleman, start your engines.
Res
Rabite

Post by Res »

Hm... I saw all kinds of Seiken, but LoM is the best!