School and Stuff

A place where you can chat about whatever.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

The stuff in the title includes jobs and other things that you might be devoting time to, but School and Jobs and Stuff just doesn't have the same alliterative ring to it.

So, what's occupying your time lately be it a job, school stuff, or something else?

Me, I'm in my second to last semester for my undergraduate in Psychology so I'm working on that.

Mondays and Wednesdays I have pretty much all my classes, here they are in order:
Abnormal Psychology- I get to learn about all the different ways people can have mental problems.
Some English Class- I'm pretty sure it's American Literature pre 1900s, but I'm not entirely sure. I show up to class though and read stuff, so I am not doing bad.
Japanese whatever year- I'm not actually enrolled in this class, but I show up anyways just to keep my memory of the language fresh and learn new things.
Advanced Statistics- When I signed up for this class it said it was Computer Applications of Statistics, then on the first day the teacher was like "Oh hey the registrar's office lied to you, this is actually Advanced Statistics and I'm going to treat it like a graduate course.
There are only 8 of us in the class, but I've got a good feeling about it considering I'm the only one who answers the professor's questions at all. And I get them right. 8) I actually really love statistics now.
Experimental Methods and Research- This one goes hand-in-hand with the first Statistics class I had during the summer. It teaches me how to conduct experiments and write up papers on studies so they can get published and stuff. Gonna have a lot of writing to do for this class.

Tuesdays I only have one class on this day. Awesome.
Billiards- Yeah, that's right. I'm taking billiards. XD Easy A class, plus it counts as a physical fitness and wellness requirement that I need two of. The teacher owes me a rootbeer because I made a shot she bet no one in the class could do. 8) It's pretty cool, she got 3rd place nationally for billiards back in 1985.

Thursday, Friday, Weekends
I'm off! But I'm usually dead during this time because of the previous days.

I end up walking like, 5-10 miles each day between my classes etc. Really wears me out, but it's good exercise probably.

Anyways, that's what I'm up to.
I feel incredibly lazy now that I type out just how much time I have off... ^-^; but I read school stuff and write papers during that time, I swear -__-
NightshadeTea
Tomato Man

Post by NightshadeTea »

oO Holy crap. And I thought my Monday-Wednesday schedule was busy. Good luck, man.
Quemaqua
Silktail

Post by Quemaqua »

Ugh. There's nothing I hate more than students. Don't take it personally, it's just projected self-loathing. I just wish I realized how good I had it when I was a student, and that I could go back and try harder.

Me? I go to work every day at a life-sucking hellhole from 8:30 to 5:00, driving in traffic both ways, so I can sit in a tiny office and do work that I hate with people that I hate for a cause I don't believe in.

I try to devote a significant amount of free time to studying Japanese, though I wish I could be a little more fervent in my efforts. Lately I've just been too tired and dejected from everything else. It does make for a good distraction a lot of the time, though, and gives me something to keep my mind from going off the deep end.
Abdul_Moti
Specter

Post by Abdul_Moti »

If you want to ask me about my school, then..

Monday-Friday I have about 13 school subjects in total.
Some are:

Sociology: Learning about social interacts and stuff like that. The teacher sounds a bit 'unforgiving'. Creep.

Geography: Talk about maps lately, such as how to make it, 'azimuth', cartography, and the news. The last seems to be off topic, but still really useful because of its relevance. And this year will be the last year for the teacher.

Economics: Learn "The Way of Moti", pretend to have a trading corporation and make some financial reports. the teacher has a huge sense of humor.

Civics: Constitution, Pancasila (Indonesia's ideology), ideology of other countries and so on.

English: Hoho.. no one could beat me in this subject at school, although most of my rivals had taken the English course. Even the teacher, my class counsel, wants me to help her in teaching. I'm not that good, really, ma'am. It's all thanks for my comrades here..

Saturday:
online day from 9 am to 3 pm. Sites like the Seikens, Advanced Anime, Facebook, Avast! Antivirus are the must. I also aid Anise in learning Indonesian. if she's not there, I'll just give her a note.

Sunday:
rest day. don't even think to disturb. the tropical bear is hibernating.

Well, that's it..
Delvar
Crawler

Post by Delvar »

AS far as school goes I'm taking a couple of courses online as a prerequisite for my entrance into TAFE, which is an alternative to college that focuses on more technical jobs I guess. Next year I am going to enroll in Certificate IV Nursing, which will qualify me to be an Enrolled/Division 2 Nurse. Then the following year I'll find a job as an enrolled nurse part time, and complete a part time conversion course to become a Registered Nurse.

Sorry, that was more my career plans than anything, but I guess it's sort of relevant.

I'm the kind of person who leaves all their work till the last minute and is under a lot of stress to complete it. I submit my best work this way. I still get high marks even when I scrawl an essay the night before it's due, I'm lucky like that.

Also: Sheexy, I did a short course in Psychology and there was a small unit on research and statistics, it seriously did my head in. I admire you for being able to take a whole class on it!
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Quemaqua wrote:Ugh. There's nothing I hate more than students. Don't take it personally, it's just projected self-loathing. I just wish I realized how good I had it when I was a student, and that I could go back and try harder.
:P Yeah I know I've got it pretty good, that's why I plan to stay in school even longer. XD
Delvar wrote:Sorry, that was more my career plans than anything, but I guess it's sort of relevant.
Nah, that's a cool use for the thread.

Honestly I wish I could put more details on what my career plans are, but I'm still working that out. ^-^;
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

The more years go by the more likely it is I won't return to school; if I could find a decent job to live off of I know I wouldn't likely go back to school. I still want to major in Economics though, but I doubt it will ever happen. Suffice it to say, I don't really miss school, but I do miss having something important to do with my time.

Really the only thing that occupies my time now is watching anime and reading manga. I do a lot of work on the club I'm responsible for on MAL, but that hardly occupies my entire day. Everything else, remotely prodcutive, is spent working around the house or in the yard. I've become a discouraged worker too. I haven't even tried to put an application in for about a month now. I'm tired of trying and getting nothing for my efforts. I'll try again closer to the holiday season I figure.
Last edited by Tsurayu on Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

I practice my magic to become a greater and stronger wizard everyday.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

My weeks vary but here's a sample week.

Monday: 7am-8pm Work
Tuesday: 7am-8pm Work
Wednesday: 7pm-8am Work
Thursday: 7pm-9am Work
Friday-Monday No Work

Start the cycle again on Tuesday, next cycle starts on Wednesday, so on and so forth.

What day is it today? I don't know anymore...
Delvar
Crawler

Post by Delvar »

Kassidy wrote:What day is it today? I don't know anymore...
I hear you on this. My sense of time is awful also. Feels like each day blends into the next D:
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Delvar wrote:
Kassidy wrote:What day is it today? I don't know anymore...
I hear you on this. My sense of time is awful also. Feels like each day blends into the next D:.
Same, although for different reasons. I don't have anything to break up the monotony of my day, so all of the days really do blend together because there is nothing to distinguish them with. XD
Abdul_Moti
Specter

Post by Abdul_Moti »

This usually happens when someone is too focused on something.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Where I work they mess up my schedule as much as possible so nothing is set in stone.

Monday: 12-7 Work.
Tuesday: 11-12:15 World Lit (add on an hour and a half for driving to and from).
Wednesday: 8-4 Work.
Thursday: 11-12:15 World Lit (add on an hour and a half for driving to and from) Then 2-7(or later) Work.
Friday: Sometimes 9-6 or 10-7 Work.
Saturday: 7 hour shift different parts of the day. Alternates each week.
Sunday: OFF!!!

Not too bad. I'm running all day Thursday. Sometimes I get assignments on Tuesday that are due on Thursday and it seems like I'm really pressed to get it done. The work isn't hard it's just really time consuming and seeing as I have to have whole books read within that time frame I don't get much sleep.
NightshadeTea
Tomato Man

Post by NightshadeTea »

Kassidy wrote:My weeks vary but here's a sample week.

Monday: 7am-8pm Work
Friday-Monday No Work

Before I read the rest of your post I thought: "Apparently your average week contains a time paradox. Go you!"
That is a freaking insane schedule, man. oO I could not imagine working 13 hours a day. though you do have three days off in a week.

Eh, since we're all sharing our weekly schedules, here's mine:

Mon: 8:30a - 5:20p school (gymnastics, Chemistry, watercolor, Biology)
Tues: 10:30a - 5:20p school (Chem and Bio labs. 3 hours each. Yes, both in the same day)
Wed: 8:30a-5:20p school (same as Mon)
Thurs: 10:30a - 1:20p (Chem lab)
Fri: 10:30a - 11:20a (Chem lecture)
Sat: 12 - 3p (yay, swordfighting practice, huzzah!)
Sun: catch up on anything I might have slacked on, 8/10 time: 10a - 12n (archery)

This isn't taking into account the 2-3+ hours every night studying and homework and what not (and searching for a job, dammit. >> ). 8D But then when I do get free time I get to play~
Quemaqua
Silktail

Post by Quemaqua »

I have the "what day is it?" problem too, at times. Mostly I just can't remember anything I've done in the last month. Back in the day I used to either ride or walk to public transit for work, and there were days when I couldn't even remember how I'd gotten there in the morning. I'd walk halfway home and have to go back because I realized that I'd driven, or I'd look for my car convinced that it should be somewhere and only later realize that I'd walked. I also routinely forget what I've eaten, like what I've had for lunch the day before, etc. Often by dinner I can't even remember what I had for breakfast.
Last edited by Quemaqua on Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.