In the beginning . . .

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

bastian
Weepy Eye

Re: In the beginning . . .

Post by bastian »

Anise seems to be the same Anise throughout the three places her name appears. Dawn tells us of her beginnings and end, Heroes tells of of an alternate reality where she succeeds in her Dawn plan and makes it into SD3's world, and then Legend tells us a story that may well have taken place before in-game Dawn.

As for the timeline . . . I'm pretty sure it goes Dawn > Children > Princess > Sword > Secret > Legend with Heroes > SD3 taking place on a completely different world. Remember in Heroes all the in-game stuff about Anise coming from another world all together? And in SD3 the Mana Sanctuary isn't even in the actual world, it's in a completely different world that you have to get to via portal.
nick912012
Pebbler

Post by nick912012 »

I disagree with Heroes and SD3 being in a different world. In Children of Mana, one of the stages bares a very similar appearance to Mana Holyland in SD3. If I recall correctly, that's the future of Illusia Island as stated in the game.
kirby
Dino Fish

Post by kirby »

nick912012 wrote:I disagree with Heroes and SD3 being in a different world. In Children of Mana, one of the stages bares a very similar appearance to Mana Holyland in SD3. If I recall correctly, that's the future of Illusia Island as stated in the game.
Hmmm... This really helps my understanding Nick912012, but I know that SD3 does happen in the same world otherwise the lack of the Mana tribe in LoM makes it sort of hard to piece together. The more information you all can provide on Legend, Children, Heroes, and SD3; the easier it is for me to connect the dots or to figure out the actual order. The others I have either beat, or are close to beating so I know most of what happens in Secret, Dawn and Sword.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

My placing of Heroes and SD3 would be after SwoM and before SoM.
The other possibility thinking about it, though, would be before SwoM, but that is based purely on the airship tech in SwoM.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

nick912012 wrote:I disagree with Heroes and SD3 being in a different world. In Children of Mana, one of the stages bares a very similar appearance to Mana Holyland in SD3. If I recall correctly, that's the future of Illusia Island as stated in the game.
The Mana Holyland in SD3 is in another world. Or at least another realm. Unless I'm remember things incorrectly (totally possible as I've only played the game twice and have a terrible memory) but don't you have to open some sort of portal to get to the Mana Holyland? Like it's not even an actual place in that world? You go to that island in the middle of the ocean and find a portal that transports you to a totally different place?

Also, in Heroes, they talk about how Anise is from a totally different world.

These two things make me think that Heroes/SD3 takes place in a completely different world and you find that portal on the island in SD3 that takes you to Illusia/Mana Holyland.

This also explains why the continents are similar enough in all the games except SD3/Heroes. To me, at least.

But again, maybe I'm misremembering SD3 and the Mana Holyland really IS in the same world.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Yeah I think the Holy Land in SD3 is in a different "world", but I think that might only be due to limitations of Mode 7?

The Holy Land is surrounded by clouds, so maybe it's just supposed to be floating way up high in the sky? You couldn't pull that off with Mode 7 so maybe they opted for a portal out of convenience.

Pure speculation of course.
kirby
Dino Fish

Post by kirby »

Your speculation is most interesting Sheexy. I think that they mention that Anise is from a completely different world as to mean Mavolia, but at that time Mavolia and the actual world are so far apart that no one in the actual world remembers the name of Mavolia.
LunarWisp
Iffish

Post by LunarWisp »

Sheexy wrote:Yeah I think the Holy Land in SD3 is in a different "world", but I think that might only be due to limitations of Mode 7?

The Holy Land is surrounded by clouds, so maybe it's just supposed to be floating way up high in the sky? You couldn't pull that off with Mode 7 so maybe they opted for a portal out of convenience.

Pure speculation of course.
I believe that in Heroes of Mana, the Mirage Bishop said that the Sanctuary of Mana was "Everywhere, yet nowhere". Given that the Sanctuary of Mana is apparently where the Mana Tree is, it's safe to assume that the Sanctuary and the Holy Land are the same place. Given the Mirage Bishop's words, the Mana Holy Land could be an entirely different dimension all together, with a time flow different than that of Fa'Diel.