Pokemon Explained (Coma Theory)

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

kirby
Dino Fish

Re: Pokemon Explained (Coma Theory)

Post by kirby »

Tekka wrote:Purely out of curiosity, which OP was this?

The Pokemon gods story was silly, so now hopefully it's time to get back to basics. Defeating gods and turning them into your own personal servants is the kind of story I would expect from a Megaten game. But in Pokemon the same story just seems ludicrous. Considering you could theoretically defeat Arceus and its entire pantheon with a Wigglytuff. Then of course you get to cart them around in Pokeballs and make them do the bidding of a ten year old protagonist... Forcing the creators of the known universe to do stupid crap like battle level 2 Rattatas, or jump hurdles in the Pokeathlon. o_O;

So, yes. I'm looking forward to getting away from DP's story and enjoying something that doesn't try to be quite so 'epic'.
True the whole "poke god" concept was pretty hokey I really do not know what exactly they plan on next. Possibly one of the few things left would be to introduce MissingNo and somehow making a movie out of that.

Also, I did the math and the coma theory makes no sense when you consider that only about 10% of the time you are asleep you are dreaming, so that would mean that Ash would be over 50 years old currently, except that no one has ever manged to be comatose for 40 years.
Tyrfillich
Evil Sword

Post by Tyrfillich »

I'd just like to point out the irony of trying to inject math into something that is intended to defy logic over a topic that never once made any mathematical sense.

Personally I think this theory is another one of those things that seems utterly mindblowing and brilliant at 3AM at the bar, but easy to poke holes in much like an old piece of cheese or even older underwear. For example if Ash is in a coma and constantly being treated with medication why don't we see some really messed-up flower power sequences? Just ONCE I would love to see Brock stuffing himself with couscous. That would make me laugh like an idiot. Second, how does a boy in a coma with bugger-all knowledge of the world STILL have considerable knowledge in pokemon and modern technology that correlates with the games; because I'm pretty sure there's no coma references in MY pokemon games and I'm considering the idea that I am conscious as I write this.

That being said, I'm going to get loaded on caffeine and go play SoulSilver. And I'm pretty sure I won't be in a coma at the time, because I tend to dream of more engaging things than capturing and training monsters. Like blowing up the world for instance!
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

kirby wrote:True the whole "poke god" concept was pretty hokey I really do not know what exactly they plan on next. Possibly one of the few things left would be to introduce MissingNo and somehow making a movie out of that.

Also, I did the math and the coma theory makes no sense when you consider that only about 10% of the time you are asleep you are dreaming, so that would mean that Ash would be over 50 years old currently, except that no one has ever manged to be comatose for 40 years.
I like the idea of the world having its own set of deities, (I like it when the series shows some mature themes. Yes.. I'm one of THOSE people. X3), it's just that they're so easy to beat. But when you're carrying these gods around with you and having them do your bidding, that's what I can't quite get to grips with. True enough, the show handles them better than the game does, but I'm more of a fan of the games than I am of the show, so obviously I tend to care about them more as a result.

Turning MissingNo into an actual Pokemon would be incredibly funny, but the chances of it ever happening are so low they might as well be nil. The only company I know to do something like that is Midway, when they made Ermac, that was pretty funny too.

The coma theory, again, is just silly, full stop. Very creative, but totally out there when viewed in any terms.

Good to see that you're playing too, Tyrfillich! I have two Kanto badges left to win, then I'm off to beat the buffed up Elite 4, Lance, and Red. Then I'll be registering my new cartridge on PBR for some random WiFi battles. :D
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Tekka wrote:Purely out of curiosity, which OP was this?
I saw it on youtube a while back. It involved all the legendaries from Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh. I vaguely recall a "HeartGold" and "SoulSilver" on the title.
kirby
Dino Fish

Post by kirby »

Tekka wrote:
kirby wrote:True the whole "poke god" concept was pretty hokey I really do not know what exactly they plan on next. Possibly one of the few things left would be to introduce MissingNo and somehow making a movie out of that.

I like the idea of the world having its own set of deities, (I like it when the series shows some mature themes. Yes.. I'm one of THOSE people. X3), it's just that they're so easy to beat. But when you're carrying these gods around with you and having them do your bidding, that's what I can't quite get to grips with. True enough, the show handles them better than the game does, but I'm more of a fan of the games than I am of the show, so obviously I tend to care about them more as a result.

Turning MissingNo into an actual Pokemon would be incredibly funny, but the chances of it ever happening are so low they might as well be nil. The only company I know to do something like that is Midway, when they made Ermac, that was pretty funny too.

The coma theory, again, is just silly, full stop. Very creative, but totally out there when viewed in any terms.

Good to see that you're playing too, Tyrfillich! I have two Kanto badges left to win, then I'm off to beat the buffed up Elite 4, Lance, and Red. Then I'll be registering my new cartridge on PBR for some random WiFi battles. :D
True, true and oh so true Tekka. First, I am also more of a fan of the games than of the show because they make the series so broken, if you noticed that once they got through the 3rd gym in Sinnoh they seemed to skip all the way to going to Snowpoint.

Second, if you actually do research on MissingNo it is actually equal to or more evil than Kefka, it was banned from this world by Arceus and the only way it comes through is by making chaos and once enough is amassed it is able to cause itsself to appear in a physical form.
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

Wat?!

Sorry Kirby but whoever you got that information from has lied to you. MissingNo is nothing more than an occasionally useful glitch that was done away with as soon as Yellow version was developed. No company involved with Pokemon's creation has ever acknowledged its existence as anything more than that.

Some fans liked to try to include it in the game's story in some form of fiction, like the one you've apparently read, but I can assure you, none of it is factual.
Tyrfillich
Evil Sword

Post by Tyrfillich »

I call shenanigans! Link me please Kirby; I want to read whatever fic you got that from. It's hard to find a decent pokemon villain outside Giovanni.
Tyrfillich
Evil Sword

Post by Tyrfillich »

Update in a double post! Naughty me, I'll send myself to my room after this, promise.

Read the fic Kirby linked me to. Interesting concept but in true fanfic style is littered with uninspired sex scenes written by inexperienced men (Exhibit A: No man versed in the ways of the world and of women can use the words "bean bags" in that context without dissolving into a fit of laughter). So yeah, definitely came from a fic; Tekka called that one beautifully.

Anyway!

I was thinking earlier there is one thing that gives the Coma Theory some ground - nothing truly bad happens to Ash; at least not irreversibly so. He can always go back and say hi to old friends, retrieve old pokemon, even if he stuffs something up he gets second chance after second chance after one after another. I realize this is a programme aimed at children but even rudimentary elementary entertainment teaches that actions have consequences...
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

Fufufufu, right on the money.
Tyrfillich wrote:"bean bags"
LoƖ. X3

I want to read this. May I have the link please? =(
kirby
Dino Fish

Post by kirby »

Tekka wrote:Fufufufu, right on the money.
Tyrfillich wrote:"bean bags"
LoƖ. X3

I want to read this. May I have the link please? =(
Yes. Even though it will take me awhile to refind the link so i can send it to you.