CR-48 the Chrome OS Notebook

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

CR-48 the Chrome OS Notebook

Post by DeadWolf »

Did anyone else happen to get one of these? I happen to be one of the lucky ones to get one in the mail to test pilot Chrome OS. I had no idea I was getting it. Made my day yesterday. It's really nice for a free laptop. I have this whole wall of text I can post of anyone cares to know every detail about the laptop. I can also take pictures.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Re: CR-48 the Chrome OS Notebook

Post by Kassidy »

Just applied for the pilot program (not that I'll get selected, but gotta be in it to win it). They do look very promising devices, and very much in the spirit of "net"book.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Wall of Text

I tried my best to explain every detail in that one post. The first thing you should do when you get it is to flip the switch to get it in developer mode. Developer mode allows bash terminal access and a few other features that are locked down in the normal OS. Developer mode even allows you to install another OS over top of it.

When these things do hit the market next year I would presume that they will be fairly cheap. Chrome OS is open source so there isn't the extra 100+ that is needed to spend on Windows/Mac OS. Google will get the money from their app store; however, I'm sure the web based apps will be a lot cheaper than their enterprise counterparts.

I really enjoy using this thing. It's a fast little machine. 5 seconds from powering it on and I'm browsing the internet. (I know that people have manage to cut out bios and do the fast boot years ago but we are talking about implementation here. Same goes for the cloud computing concept. Many people have done this type of stuff. Google just has the money to implement it.)
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

LUCKY!!!!

AFAIK, only American's are candidates for the moment for the trial/testing period.

Never the less, it sure as hell didn't stop me from applying.
SoMFan
Lullabud

Post by SoMFan »

"All your apps, documents, and settings are stored safely in the cloud. So even if you lose your computer, you can just log into another Chrome notebook and get right back to work."

As if saving everything you type into the search engine isn't enough - Wow, google is SO SKETCHY. Talk about an invasion of privacy.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

SoMFan wrote:"All your apps, documents, and settings are stored safely in the cloud. So even if you lose your computer, you can just log into another Chrome notebook and get right back to work."

As if saving everything you type into the search engine isn't enough - Wow, google is SO SKETCHY. Talk about an invasion of privacy.
But you trust closed source operating systems like Mac OS and Windows. There is no telling what Microsoft and Apple grab everyday from the average user with out them knowing it. If you want complete protection then unplug your router.
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

Don't stop there. Infact, disable your Parallel Ports, USB interfaces and Serial interfaces. While you're at it, might want to rip out and readable media mediums and rip out any network interface as well.
Bolt your panels closed with a head-less bolt and encase everything but the air return in cement.

Only then, might your data be fully secure.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Diffie-Hellman can also help when you want to share something with a friend.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

At first, admittedly, this was my reservation with the use of Chrome browser (privacy etc), but TBH, considering that I use their e-mail, their search engine, and so on, they have enough data on me as it is, if they are data-mining at a browser level it's not going to tell them any more or less about me.

Also, re trial's only being available in the US, why then would they even give you the option to enter your address and details... oh hang on.... ;)
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

haaaaaaa....
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Remember how cool Google Wave was a year ago? Now it's a simi-abandoned project. I guess it never caught on.
Last edited by DeadWolf on Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.