Secret of Mana SNES and iOS Comparison

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

manaman
Spikey Tiger

Secret of Mana SNES and iOS Comparison

Post by manaman »

http://www.saint-ism.com/2010/12/secret ... omparison/

I hope this hasn't been posted already and I'm throwing out a useless post, but I came across this which does what I was planning on doing for some time--and probably better than how mine would turn out. I'm currently playing through this on my iPhone and on my SNES, so it's fun to see the differences. I don't think I can tell you which I prefer graphically. The original has a special spot in my heart but the updated graphics are pretty.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Re: Secret of Mana SNES and iOS Comparison

Post by DeadWolf »

I just wish there was an update for iPad support or at least airplay support.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

I totally hear you, DeadWolf. That would be awesome. Actually, I kind of wish they would just do some updating--any! But, that's not Square-Enix's modus operandi in the App Store. I think they treat it like a physical market. It's both refreshing and annoying. There are cons to the established "rules" of the App Store: expected low costs yielding a glut of worthless and shoddy games, tons of updates which sometimes break perfectly great games without a way to review and download an old version. . . . But there are pros as well: games making use of the latest technology and capacity of Apple hardware, low prices.

I am happy that this game is solid and bug-free. I just wish there was a way to play multiplayer through Game Center so that we could all quest together. I can also imagine retina display support for this game and smoothing the graphics with a filter. An iPad version would likewise be sweet.

Rant over.

PS: I am fairly happy that Square-Enix chooses to keep their prices higher because I still wouldn't mind if some developers put out higher priced games that competed with the best of what is on the market in the console and handheld market. A AAA game would be awesome on the iPad.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

I gave up playing this months ago because I just couldn't get used to the touch screen. Maybe if it was on an iPad (and I had an iPad) it would be easier, but having a d-pad and buttons on such a small screen with my fingers constantly obscuring the screen... and not being able to move with precision... iPhone games are not for me. I'll stick to my DS and Wii, thankyouverymuch. :P
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Yes, I totally know what you mean. It is frustrating somewhat. I've found that what I think and what I do don't always match up because of the inconsistency with the controls. Actually, I think that is one flaw to this game. I don't think it's impossible to fix, however. I think the real problem is that the directional pad is floating. Had they made it stationary with controls similar to Shantae: Risky's Revenge, then I think it would be excellent. Right now, I think it's just a bit wonky.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

I've started partying thus version now and agree with the control issues. What is really interesting is that they have done a Spanish localisation and it embellished the text quite a bit. I'll write up more set some point. Very interesting though I don't agree with some of their choices (or spelling).

-Kassidy, powered by Tapatalk, FlexT9 and HTC Desire... and cake.
Mirions
Rabite

Post by Mirions »

Yeah, the script is greatly improved (I think the Eileen the witch mentions Thanatos as an agent of the Vandole Empire after you beat Spikey Tiger, which I'm not sure happens in the original cartridge). Of note, I have found the Bandana as a drop which is equipable to the Wrist slot. To make sure I wasn't misreading, I repurchased the Bandana from Neko's and indeed, I now have one in the Helmet Ring and one in the Bandana Ring. *shrug*

If you like SoM on the go however, you should give the game a chance. I see the controls as just something to get used to, and once you're knee deep in Pure Lands you tend to forget its even a problem. Course, it took me a year to pick the game back up and play it after making this same discovery about the controls.