First attempt at Stop Motion

Show off your mad skills and exchange creative tips.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

To cut a long story really short ('cause I'm bloody tired and it's 4:30 in the morning), a little contest/collaboration/whatever thing is going on over on YouTube, and I decided to make an entry, and the idea came into my head to do this. And it took ages... But the results aren't too bad for my first try.

Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Well Kassidy, it seems my computer doesn't have enough patience for this video. It said it completely downloaded it when it got to 22 seconds... I know that isn't right.

Anyways, I'll try to view the whole thing when I'm on a more awexome connection.

From what I saw though it looked really fun, it would kinda make me want to do something along this lines with a Chess board, or if I were really risky, a Risk board (wow that was terrible)

I did notice that two of your yellow pieces are off color :P
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Yeah, the thing is the colour basically comes through by reflection. If you look at the balls from a certain angle with the light coming from above, you catch the reflection of the light off the wood passing back up through the ball, and it really makes them glow. It seems those balls just don't have the same reflective quality, which is unfortunate.

Shame it isn't loading properly for you. After 30 seconds is when it gets more interesting. ;) My wife suggested a while back I do something like this with the chess board, you should give it a go. I used AnimatorDV Simple, or something like that, it's a free program and works really well.
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

That was really cool, I really liked the part with the eye.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Thank you. :) That was the main focus. The silly thing is that I planned out what the eye should look like first, then took i all apart and started the lead-up animation, then forgot how on earth I wanted the eye to look, so had to ad lib it (hence there's a couple of mistakes that I correct in it). I probably could have done a better job if I'd done the whole thing in separate steps, then reverse animated and things like that, but I went for the one long take approach.
BlueGenomes
Tomato Man

Post by BlueGenomes »

dude, this is nice. I don't know if I'd have the patience to do something like this for that long, and make a good video out of it. Thumbs up definately.
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

Okay, that was friggin' nifty.

Do it again.

:D
Krow
Mushboom

Post by Krow »

I enjoyed that very much and like the others said the eye was my favorite part as well;keep up the good work :D.