Hey hey hey!

Introduce yourself here! Farewells and returns find their home here also. Post counts do not increase here, so feel free to prolong your warm welcomes!
Hideo_Sakaguchi
Lullabud

Post by Hideo_Sakaguchi »

Umm... hello. I'm new to these here boards. My real name is Eric, but my online handles are always either 'Bob the Almighty' or 'Hideo Sakaguchi.'

'Bob the Almighty' is a reference to a joke religion I started in junior high as part of a web page development class. We had to make a web page about something unique so I thought my own religion would be a good choice. I called it 'Bobism' and I even wrote a semi-long 'Book of Bob,' describing our great religion (including the 15 Demandments - my favorite one was 'Thou shall not kill unless thou art provoked).

The second one, 'Hideo Sakaguchi,' comes from the first name of Hideo Kojima (the father of Metal Gear) and the last name of Hironobu Sakaguchi (the father of Final Fantasy). I wasn't a fan of Metal Gear until I played Metal Gear Solid 2 (yes I know.. the one that "sucks" :p) in 2001 (it was my first MG), but I've been a big FF fan since I first played FF 4 on the SNES all those years ago.

RPGs used to be my favorite genre, but as I grew up, graduated, and was forced into getting a job (I'm an aircraft mechanic for those of you taking notes :p), I find myself not willing to dedicate a large amount of my time to long RPGs these days. I used to play any and every RPG I can get my hands on, but now I just stick to a handful of series' that are my favorites. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are the two big Japanese RPG franchises and I love them both. Of course I'm a huge Mana/Seiken Densetsu fan (that's how I found this site). I'm one of the few people who loved Chrono Cross, even more than Chrono Trigger (but to be fair, I tend to enjoy a lot of 'unpopular/crap' games likes Final Fantasy 8, Chrono Cross, and Metal Gear Solid 2).

My favorite Mana game is Seiken Densetsu 3. It's just a blast. Everytime I play it I try a different character for my lead. I really enjoyed the 'triangle story' aspect. I've played and finished all of the games released in the US, from Final Fantasy Adventure on the Game Boy to Children of Mana on the DS. All of them were highly enjoyable, but my least favorite is easily Sword of Mana. It's not a bad game, it's just I find in average when all the other games range from enjoyable (Children of Mana) to down right satisfying (Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3).

Outside RPGs I really enjoy the following franchises: Devil May Cry, Metal Gear (as stated above :p), God of War, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Mega Man (the older ones - classic and X mainly), and, of course, Super Mario. If there's one game series that I will play to the day I die, it's Mario. How can you note love Mario? Sure Mario Sunshine was kinda crappy, but everyone's allowed a miss now and than.

I don't know what else to say really, other than March 2007 is going to kick ass. That's when the long awaited Guns n Roses album Chinese Democracy is due. Believe people.

Anyway, I guess that's it, so w00t and what have you. :)
koopa
Werewolf

Post by koopa »

Yo, welcome :D

Maybe you can teach me some Mana-basic-knowledge :P
Yeah, MGS is a real good game :D
Destiny
Steamed Crab

Post by Destiny »

Hello and welcome to the Seikens! :) We're a friendly lot, but just watch out for Duran - he has this bizarre appetite for new members.... *ahem*.

SD3 is my favourite Mana game too, but unfortunately I've only ever been able to play that and Secret Of Mana, as LOM was (as far as I can tell) not released here and the others were for consoles that I do not have. :)

Whoa I didn't realise FF8 was "unpopular"! I loved that game.

Anyway. Yes. Have fun. :)
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Welcome to the board, Hideko. Looks like we're getting to the stage at which we're gaining members in so many days as pass. Also great bio info there.

Just a thought... I wonder whether we should have some sort of bio page for board members? *ponder ponder*
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I swear I replied to this before, but now my reply is gone? I am very confused and am not sure what to think.

Anyways, great to see a new member around here!
Good to see someone take the time to type out lots of stuff, 'tis great fun and all.

Yeah, this board could use a profile thing, the one at the old board broke, not sure why.
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

*Welcomes*
*Welcomes again, because at this rate, I'll have to do it again in a few days anyway* :P
Third time's a charm, right? :D

Anyhow, hope you enjoy yerself here - with all the insanity, there's plenty to do. And don't worry about Duran. The only danger after being eaten is indigestion. And the occasional new member landing on your head. :D

Also, consider these words of wisdom I'm passin' along to Dekky - if you keep doin' that with your face, it'll stay like that. ;)

I'll be seein' ya around.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Same here here, my favorite mana game is SD3, SoM and SwoM. Welcome to the board, I hope you enjoy it here!
Hideo_Sakaguchi
Lullabud

Whee~

So many friendly responses! Thanks everyone.

It's really hard (in my opinion) to find a good SD/Mana community online. I mean there's always Game FAQs, but that's usually just full of people who only post on a board that they are currently playing (I'm guilty of this too, so I'm not pointing fingers :p). Once someone finishes Children of Mana, they'll leave the Children of Mana board for years until they decide to replay it.

This site seems to be the best SD fansite I can find, which is really cool. It's a great series but it tends to be a cult favorite here. It's a shame that the Mana games don't have as big of a fanbase as FF or Chrono. Since the Chrono franchise appears to be more or less dead (seeing how Chrono Cross, the last installment, came out in 1999...) you'd think Square would put more effort into expanding their other signature franchises (like Mana and SaGa).

Oh well. At least Square-Enix are actually making new Mana games, which is something we can't say about Chrono (sadly :().
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Silence Destiny!!! Don't make me eat you!!!

*drools* FRESH MEAT!!!
BlueGenomes
Tomato Man

Post by BlueGenomes »

hey! And it's awsome to see another Chrono Cross lover here. Me and my sister (My sister more than me actually) are die-hard Cross fans. I tend to play Trigger more often than the other, but Cross in my opinion is a lot better/deeper, and it blows most other video games out to Neptune, or beyond. But yeah, it's a great series in general, too bad it's literally dead right now.

But welcome to the boards, and I think you'll find that you'll really like it here. Sheexy is working on amazing amounts of stuff to make this site better than any other when it comes to the Seiken Densetsu stuff, so kudos to him for that. And yeah, it is sort of a cult-classic game series, isn't it?

Oh, and March also will rock because that's when Modest Mouse's next LP is coming out, not to mention it's coming out on my b-day. shaw.

stick around for a while :)
Last edited by BlueGenomes on Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

I'd like to read the book of Bob.
We can exchange if you want to

*hands out three books*
- book of blood
- book of curses
- book of death

Familiar?
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE!

Ok, enough of that. Hideo, I take it you're Bob the Almighty over on GameFAQs, no?
racx_00
Eye Spy

Post by racx_00 »

Welcome to the forum Hideo!

I personally thought Final Fantasy 8 was one of the best and Chrono Cross is a great game too, so you're taste in games is definitely good. XD

Also I didn't realise that Chinese Democracy will be due out in March, need to keep my eye out for that. :D
Krow
Mushboom

Post by Krow »

All duran did was drool? Man I wasnt that lucky...but anyways welcome to out lil forum board :D.
Hideo_Sakaguchi
Lullabud

racx_00 wrote:Welcome to the forum Hideo!

I personally thought Final Fantasy 8 was one of the best and Chrono Cross is a great game too, so you're taste in games is definitely good. XD

Also I didn't realise that Chinese Democracy will be due out in March, need to keep my eye out for that. :D
Well FF 8 and CC get a lot of hate for being too different (ie, they weren't FF 7 Part 2 and Chrono Trigger Part 2), but I found them both highly unique and strikingly artistic. Those two games actually feature some of my favorite openings ever in a game. The whole 'I'll be here' part in FF 8 and 'when did the wheels of fate begin to turn' in CC are great.

Although I think that Square was at their best in terms of game quality with the SNES, I do feel that Square was at their highest artistic peak on the PlayStatioin. I mean Final Fantasy 8, Chrono Cross, and Legend of Mana are all works of art. They each are highly beautiful to look at. The music in all three are among the best ever in Square's history. And the stories of each are engrossing and show a lot of depth.

As for Guns n Roses, Axl has said that March 2007 is looking to be 'it.' Earlier rumors said that it will be out in November/December of 2006, but March 2007 is the first time Axl has stated a release date. I just hope they make it. March will prove to be a very good month. The first GnR album in 15 and a half years, Seiken Densetsu 4's US launch, plus MotorStorm comes out for the PS3. What joy!
Kassidy wrote:DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE!
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!
Hideo, I take it you're Bob the Almighty over on GameFAQs, no?
Aye. 'Tis me secret shame.

For there is only one Bob that is Almighty. Any other claiming such a title are naught but false prophits, corrupting my teachings. :(

Heh. That just reminded me of something. In my Book of Bob I made my own version of the Anti-Christ called 'Un-Bob.' I thought it was pretty funny. I used to use Un-Bob (or Unbob) as an internet handle as well (back when Enix was separate from Square I would post as both 'Bob' and 'Un-Bob' on the Enix.com forums :p).

Another little assuming thing about the Book of Bob was that it didn't have a 'Genesis' section. Instead of The Book of Genesis discribing how Bob shaped the world, I had The Book of Mega Drive discribing how Bob shaped the world. The Sega Genesis was known as the Sega Mega Drive in Japan and across Europe (I think), so it was a little play on words for fellow video game geeks. :)
BlueGenomes wrote:Oh, and March also will rock because that's when Modest Mouse's next LP is coming out, not to mention it's coming out on my b-day.
This is worth quoting because Modest Mouse rocks.

Thanks for all the replies. Don't feel let out if I did not quote you. It'll give me a reason to come back tomorrow, haha.

At the very least this seems like a good group of people, so yay!
Last edited by Hideo_Sakaguchi on Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.