Seiken Densetsu

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I decided to have some fun with Kanji today.
Ok, we all know "Seiken Densetsu" is the Japanese name of the series.

Seiken Densetsu
聖 剣 伝 説

聖- Sei - Holy
剣 - Ken - Sword
伝 - Den - Impart
説 - Setsu - Folktale
(DenSetsu turns into Legend)
Holy Sword Legend

I got bored and I came up with this.

Seiken Densetsu
青 権 電 拙

青- Sei - Unripe
権- Ken- Authority
電- Den- Electricity
拙- Setsu- Clumsy

Young Administrator Technology Impaired :D

Sound like someone we know? Hahaha!

My uses of the Kanji might not be perfect, but the "Sei" I chose was used many times to form phrases like "Young Man" and stuff. "Ken" means authority, and an Admin is an online authority. "Den" is electricity, and computers and stuff run on electricity, and "Setsu" means Clumsy!

Woo!

I AM SEIKEN DENSETSU!
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

So another translation for Seiken Densetsu could also be Holy Sword Adventure, or Adventure of teh Holy Sword, not necessarily Legend?

Oh and yes, you are Seiken Densetsu.
Danny

Post by Danny »

I think that it roughly translates into "Quest for the Holy Sword". Seiken is also the name of a classical martial arts punch. I have many Japanese books about almost every subject in Japan from the language and writing, history, martal arts, etc. Sorry, I don't mean to brag.

It seems that Sheexy, me and Kassidy seem to know a lot a Japanese things on this fourm. I'm sure that there's also more people, but these are the only ones I know so far. Any more people you know of Sheexy?
racx_00
Eye Spy

Post by racx_00 »

Nice translation of Seiken Densetsu. XD

I wanna be Seiken Densetsu, not sure if I wanna be a Young Administrator that's Technology Impaired though. :P
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Lotus wrote:So another translation for Seiken Densetsu could also be Holy Sword Adventure, or Adventure of teh Holy Sword, not necessarily Legend?
Sorry, I made a mistake.

"Densetsu" turns into Legend, my bad.
BuCUE
Ma Goblin

Post by BuCUE »

It translated to basicly "Legend of the holy sword".

Now if only we could make sense of Katakana this easy... :(
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

Hiragana's not so much a problem for me, if I have a dictionary. Katakana, I need Hiragana matched up against it to read... :/

And that translation of Seiken Densetsu matched up with what I remembered from Japanese class (yes, I asked my teacher) - Legend of the Holy Sword.

"Jei" wa no Baka Densetsu desu! Yatta!!! :D
Last edited by The J Person on Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuCUE
Ma Goblin

Post by BuCUE »

Don't think you need the wa or the no.

Jei "it is" "the" "idiot" "legendary" "This"! "Woo!" - Doesn't quite make sense even in Japanese :P

I can't read any Hiragana but I can read a little Katakana, mostly because I play a lot of turn based strategy games in Japanese and translate the unit names. It's not doing me too bad so far. :)
racx_00
Eye Spy

Post by racx_00 »

I used to be familiar with all Hiragana and Katakana, unfortunately though I haven't been in a Japanese class for about 3 years now. :/
Last edited by racx_00 on Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Japanese grammar doesnt necessary be the same as the English grammar. so having a の "no" (of) isnt really necessary in this case... i believe
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

It's curious, just the other day I was messing around with the translation of Seiken Densetsu, as Seiken if taken as the whole word has the translations:
- Mature dog
- Political views or power
- Biopsy

"Biopsy of a Legend"
"Legend of the political dog"

Opens up a whole new can of nuts.
Densetsu no Alact?
Goblin

Post by Densetsu no Alact? »

Seiken Densetsu
聖 剣 伝 説

the chinese (cantonese) pronunciation of it would be
聖 sing
剣 gim
伝 wen
説 sut

translated it would be Tales of the Holy Sword, do you see the similarity to Tales of Destiny, Tales of Symphonia, Tales of blah blah blah? hehe.... ok to be true i dont know if that's the exact translation, but at least the pronunciation is right.
Danny

Post by Danny »

For me it seems that Katakana folowed by Hiragana and Kanji seem to be the easist for me in that order. I wonder if the samurai katana sword has something to do with the Katakana language. Maybe it was the languge of the samurai! Maybe not, eiter way, I'll try to look into it. Anyone want to see my three katana sword set?
BuCUE
Ma Goblin

Post by BuCUE »

Danny wrote:For me it seems that Katakana folowed by Hiragana and Kanji seem to be the easist for me in that order. I wonder if the samurai katana sword has something to do with the Katakana language. Maybe it was the languge of the samurai! Maybe not, eiter way, I'll try to look into it. Anyone want to see my three katana sword set?
Some how I don't think it's even remotely connected :P

and Katakana is a very English like set up, all the letters are clearly defined (please ignore the " and o for a moment) and it's what it says. Where as Hiragana even if you know what it says, without a working knowledge.. well you're screwed. Add into the fact that Hiragana and Kanji are interbred like and 2 person plot to restore the population of Earth.... and yea.. Katakana is easier for obvious reasons.

Does anyone else find it disturbing when they do stuff to do with Japanese though? For example earlier (erm yesterday depending on how you count someone not sleeping) I watched an entire film raw and understood everything except 1 long ass big long speech of +10 long words, while it wasn't exactly rocket science it was one of those "wow, I can really do this!" type of moments.

Of course this comes after playing RPGs in Japanese (hey I understand the kanji for dodging, and who said running away and dodging everything wasn't a noble tactic!?), but it seemed to be that 1 thing which set off the alarm bells. I guess it's time to start making stupid kanji jokes and buying a Japanese to Russian (hey it's got more flare than English to Japanese even if I don't read a lick of Russian!) :D
Danny

Post by Danny »

Most of my Japanese grammer books are Japanese to Romainan. Of course, I can read both being Romaian and a Japanese fan. It does however have better grammer and discriptions then Japanese to English.