Resin RPG monsters

Show off your mad skills and exchange creative tips.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

BuCUE
Ma Goblin

Post by BuCUE »

I'm looking sculpting and then doing small production (like 20-30) classic RPG monsters. So I'm trying to work out what people would like to see made and obviously.. make them hehe.

So basicly I'm asking on every forum I hang out a simple question. "If you could have a model of any RPG monster, what would it be?" and hence I've just asked it here :P

I'll post pictures of the WIP Chobin hood in a few days (nothing worth seeing right now :( ), but the basic scale of him is 2 and a half inchs tall and probably an inch and a half wide. So he's pretty much as far as models go. Other kits will probably keep to this scale (Hence a human sized enemy would be 4-6 inchs tall) and anything beyond that.. Well probably a lot of praying and a down sized version.

But any way yes, if you could have anything sitting on your shelf what would it be?
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

-The Mana Sword in a stone, with some rocks and water and a few small flowers around it.
-A Cannon from the cannon travel centers.
-A Rabite doing a bite attack in the general direction of a piece of Candy.
-Flammie, as seen in the CoM animated scenes, not the concept art.

Here's hoping those sound easy to you, and not difficult like I'm imagining. :D
BuCUE
Ma Goblin

Post by BuCUE »

The J Person wrote:-The Mana Sword in a stone, with some rocks and water and a few small flowers around it.
-A Cannon from the cannon travel centers.
-A Rabite doing a bite attack in the general direction of a piece of Candy.
-Flammie, as seen in the CoM animated scenes, not the concept art.

Here's hoping those sound easy to you, and not difficult like I'm imagining. :D
Flammie would be extremely hard because he has so many textures and large parts, plus expensive to everyone.

Cannon would be hard again.. it's doable but hard.

Mana sword.. really really easy, hell depending on the version it could be done in an afternoon. I might just do some concept sketchs for that infact.

Yep.. I will do a Rabite sooner or later, and it shall have several versions. Biting, sleeping and "normal". Mostly because it's so easy and so insanely cute.
BlueGenomes
Tomato Man

Post by BlueGenomes »

this is evil mask, from Final Fantasy 4. one of my favorite enemies of all time in classic rpgs. If I could have this on my shelf......
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Every enemy from the Seiken Densetsu series would end up on my shelf. :D

Rabites, Goblins and Mushbooms would probably be the ones I would most like to see. The Jackal and Mantis Ant would be pretty sweet too.

I totally used to build Seiken Densetsu monsters out of LEGOs, I've still got a LEGO Flammie put together that I've had built since I was around eight!
I built a Turtlance out of clay once, he's really cool. Instead of holding a spear, he can hold your pencil, and his shell is open so you can put stuff in it. I've got a weird Mushgloom container thing I built too.
Hero of Spirits
Ma Goblin

Post by Hero of Spirits »

does the Mushgloom glow??? You could wire up an LED inside it or something.
BuCUE
Ma Goblin

Post by BuCUE »

Hero of Spirits wrote:does the Mushgloom glow??? You could wire up an LED inside it or something.
That's rather insane.. but I've seen worse. Plus LEDs give me the worst headaches and make my head go all funny.. So I say avoid them.

Everyone of the Seiken monsters hmm.. yea doubt I could pull that off in 1 life time. To do any of them justice it will take a month or two of modeling daily. Add to the fact I can't do it EVERY day and running out of putty and things, by the time I got say 5% of the monsters done another little game would come out and add another 10. Add to the fact that we have Square's w(h)or(e)ld of mana going on.. well do you honestly think anyone could do that or even a team of people?

Mantis ant would be really really easy to do and I had considered making it the first "large" peice down the line. I mean make it stand about 5 inchs tall, plus it's something you can cast in multipule parts, so very posable unlike some of the other models.

Lego, the maker of.. everything. Of course I had a screwed up older cousin who just like to smash lego cars into each other.. so my creativity with it rather.. collapsed in on a maiming car accident involving lots of red bricks.
Hero of Spirits
Ma Goblin

BuCUE wrote:
Hero of Spirits wrote:does the Mushgloom glow??? You could wire up an LED inside it or something.
That's rather insane.. but I've seen worse. Plus LEDs give me the worst headaches and make my head go all funny.. So I say avoid them.
I've never hear of them giving people headaches, that's a new one, and as for insanity, what do ya mean? It wouldn't be that hard.
BuCUE
Ma Goblin

Post by BuCUE »

It depends what the things are made out of. Some things take LED easily and others don't.

Plus Mushglooms glow two different colours.
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

I was going to post that I'd like to see an Excise Omega monster (from Grandia III) on my shelf, but I realize I've never found concept art or even a screenshot of it for reference purposes, myself - and I was looking to draw one not too long ago.

Anyhow, if you can find one, that'd be great.
I noted that Flammie's textures are somewhat reduced in anime form (no feathers, just the wings and the tips colored blue), so that would likely be easier to model, than with them, but.

What materials exactly were you using to make these? (Just curious)
Last edited by The J Person on Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hero of Spirits
Ma Goblin

Yea, I suppose it does matter what its made out of, however dual color LEDS do exist, and are quite fun in series when making flasher projects.
BuCUE
Ma Goblin

Post by BuCUE »

The J Person wrote:I was going to post that I'd like to see an Excise Omega monster (from Grandia III) on my shelf, but I realize I've never found concept art or even a screenshot of it for reference purposes, myself - and I was looking to draw one not too long ago.

Anyhow, if you can find one, that'd be great.
I noted that Flammie's textures are somewhat reduced in anime form (no feathers, just the wings and the tips colored blue), so that would likely be easier to model, than with them, but.

What materials exactly were you using to make these? (Just curious)
Well I'm waiting for CoM to arrive, we'll see how he looks in that. But if I do a mana beast it's all out or nothing. Why do a half arsed job when you can do a full one? :P

I'm working in milliput, green stuff and whatever fits my needs. Basicly if it works it's getting used. Lets just say a pingpong ball will be involved in something very soon :P