Silly Poetry

Show off your mad skills and exchange creative tips.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Koren
Tomato Man

Post by Koren »

This was actually written at someone's request on another board; figured I'd share it here too. If you're familiar with Warcraft III or WoW, it'll make more sense but hardly required. If you know what an orc and a dwarf is, you're good to go!

It's not very well metered but then it really wasn't intended to be. ;) Just a really long bit of doggeral.

----

There once was a gathering of dwarves oft seen,
Drunken from the moment they could worship the mug;
Twas not a liquor they did not love-
Be it the ale dark or the wine so clean;
If it were rich down they would chug.

Then a passerby did say unto the dwarves:
"Well proper dwarves you surely be;
But this mountain brew is weak to be sure;
Get yourselves down to the wharves,
Off over the ocean to try orcish whiskey!"

Honor insulted to think one would speak so;
The dwarves drew themselves so high;
And with beards bristling they did say:
"Then across the sea we go!
Straight t' the blasted orc lands as the crows fly!"

So away they did go, hammer and stein in hand;
And many an adventure did they brave;
But nothing could prepare them for what they saw-
Deep in the pits of that dark orcish land;
Not a thing could their impared sanity save.

For before them frolicked the orcs-
Drunk and pleasant as you please;
Having a brewer's festival in honor of Thrall-
They sang joyously of spoons and forks-
And the orcish whiskey flowed with ease.

A mighty battle the dwarves then fought;
Axe to blade and stein to skull;
But so drunk were they all no blow did meet;
Mostly they simply stumbled about a lot-
And to their horror they found..mugs no longer full.

The dwarves paused in horror and looked down...
Steins turned slowly over the ground;
And many a beard soon turned damp-
Not a drop of dwarven brew fell before the orcish town;
There was not a bit to be found!

Lamenting this cruel twist of fate;
The drunken dwarves wept on orcish shoulders;
Finding no solace in this time of despair.
Yet then down did come the wall of hate;
If only to spare rust upon orcish spaulders.

Dwarven steins were seized and filled;
With orcish whiskey they soon foamed;
And the drunken warriors saluted brave dwarves;
One could not help but honor ones willing to be killed-
Just to taste the whiskey for which they had roamed.

The fair went on for a day and a night;
Though they could not understand each other;
For a moment they put aside their rage and hate;
As with beer goggles in place they saw no reason to fight;
Before the god of whiskey orc and dwarf were as brother!

So across the ocean the dwarves returned;
Enlightened and inspired if far more sea sick-
And to the brewery they promptly went-
In each now the dwarven spirit burned;
To brew this rich drink so quick!

Within Ironforge one may yet buy;
If they look to the proper place-
The famed orcish whiskey so divine;
Sure to make your senses fly;
And straight to the floor you'll race!
Last edited by Koren on Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

Post by Danny »

That was great Koren, I didn't know you have such a humerous view! It came out great again, as usal. You have a real natural talent and skill in writing and poetry that never ceases to amaze me! Always a classic, great work once again Koren!
Koren
Tomato Man

Post by Koren »

*snerk* Silly poetry's much easier to write than serious stuff. I wouldn't call this 'classic', however. Still, glad you liked it. ^_^ Ten to one that guy'll never request a poem of me again.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Hee hee,

I love it! It reminds me a bit of some of the fantastic poetry of J.R.R. Tolkien that is found in The Tolkien Reader under The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.

Peace,

manaman
Koren
Tomato Man

Post by Koren »

I never did get around to reading those. ^^; I'm honestly not as big a Tolkien fan as many people say I SHOULD be. I don't much care for all the hype around him. -_-

Still, glad ya liked it. ;) So did the guy who asked for it, thankfully. *うはwwwwww*
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Hey Koren,

I thankfully read all the books long before the movies came out. Movies have a way of bringing in some fresh new fans, pleasing (or otherwise) existing fans and turning off some people who otherwise might enjoy the stories. I happen to think the movies did a pretty good job of it all, but if you ever do get around to reading the books, I don't think you'll regret it.

Peace,

manaman
Koren
Tomato Man

Post by Koren »

Oh I read the original series and the Hobbit- I just didn't read the extensions off of them. Well I did read the Similarion- very dull read, rather like the Bible. Fitting since that's all it honestly was: Middle Earth's bible.

After the fantastic boredom (to me) that was someone apparently taking credit for a lot of things that already in existence in legend and lore for centuries...well yeah. I never bothered to touch his other stuff. ^^; I do like the movies though- I think they did very well without going off into the overabundant details Tolkien so loved to indulge in.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Heh, that was pretty funny. Nice little story.
I like the way it flowed, made it seem like a little song or something.

Man, when I write poetry I can only do silly stuff. If I try to make anything serious I start feeling stupid XD
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Hey Koren,

First of all, I'm a huge Tolkien fan (I'll just lay that out there on the table). I just wanted to say you're entitled to your opinion. I find it a bit funny what you said about The Silmarillion, though. I've heard it likened to the Bible often and neither I find boring because both provide context and that is what Tolkien was attempting. As for allegedly "stealing" other legends and myths and compiling them . . . well, I think that is just simply not fair. What Tolkien (a scholar who intended to create a myth for his England) did was provide archetypes that imbued his world with reality and a sense of place that was supposed to be England. Also, let's bear in mind that Hobbits are original inventions of Tolkien that are propagated all around the fantasy world simply by the fact that the term "halfling" is used instead of "Hobbit."

Anyway, you're entitled to not be fond of the series. I just thought I would add my two cents. Love your poetry!

Peace,

manaman
Last edited by manaman on Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

Post by Danny »

I lot of movies like Lord of the Rings and others are copied from myths, legends, lore, etc. and the people using info and ideas from these sources claim it as their own. The fact is that many people don't know about these tales of history so movie producers, writers, etc. can easily fool them into thinking that they made it.

I've studyed a lot of history and know many writings from the Japanese, Vikings, Romans, Greeks, Germany, Romania and from many other countries (mostly European and Asian though). And Koren does too, so I agree 100% with her on that. It pays to have culture in your blood, it's too bad most people don't think like that anymore which is kind of sad if you think about it.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Yes Danny,

BUT Tolkien knew his sources and intentionally used them. He presented none of the book to be "as his own." In fact, the entire story is supposed to be from a book that Tolkien found that was in fact written by Bilbo and continued on. Tolkien tried to distance himself as an author more than anyone so while I agree with what you and Koren are saying right now in many cases, this is one I don't.

Peace,

manaman