Stencyl Game Project

Expanding the Mana Universe. For fans, by fans.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

You can't change your body shape or size, merely your skin tone and possibly eye shape. You may also choose your hair style and color. Everything else can be determined in game (supposing we have the spriting resources to throw at this)
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

Well I decided to make a list of features you can expect from the early demo, this is by no means complete, just an idea of what will be ready by the first demo launch.

SD3 and SwoM character leveling systems
SD3 and SoM style Magic
SoM style Weapons, though SD3 can be forced using the same system
- Sword, Axe, Spear, and Whip, more to be added.
A handful of enemies and a few bosses
Walking talking NPC's that can assign quests and such
Produce (though it may take on a slightly different role, such as healing and things)
Fishing (similar role as healing items and such)

I know I am probably missing a ton of things, but this should help for now.
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

For some reason, I envisioned Charotte (or Carlie) using nunchaku a la LOM instead of a ball and chain flail...
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

There was no nunchaku in LoM, there was a true Flail. Basically a long two handed handle with a few chain links, then a large metal bar covered in short spikes.
Major damage, slow and unwieldy though.

Charlotte used a variety of flail types, which does cover the Ball and Chain, and the more traditional flail design, however they only had one sprite type.

Anyways, why did you post that here?
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

Erm, I seem to recall a flail that was a bit faster than "slow and unwieldy" in LoM... besides, I thought a nunchaku was a flail variant (originally a rice thresher used by Okinawans, like the medieval flail was for Europeans), unless your weapon knowledge is more in-depth than mine. The "flails" that Daena uses in the game look very much like nunchaku in the character portrait.

You're right in saying that the flails in SD3 (which I think is what you meant in your first sentence) are actual flails using morningstars or other heavy weights on a chain with a handle. I was just commenting on why the hell Charlotte would use a slow, unwieldy weapon that would render an otherwise OK healer into a monster magnet; why not go the Eastern monk route and give her something faster, like a flail, so a team with both her and Angela wouldn't be smacked into next week? Just an idea tossed out there from whatever jumbled mess that's in my brain, mind you.
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

Ah, yeah, I never managed to have Daena in my team, so unsure of her weapon, you are right about the art being more nunchaku styled.
As I recall though the flail in LoM is pretty slow with slow to recover specials.
The Flail discussion really belongs in a different thread though, this isn't about old games, but an engine to make a new one. Not trying to be rude, but I'd like this to attempt to stay on topic.
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

Well, you are basing it on ideas from older games, so I thought I'd liven up the discussion a bit, but you're right. I haven't given much thought to ideas for your project, and I apologize.
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

That's fine, there is not much to really talk about yet as we first have to have something to really work with. Though we are making a public press release soon which will have a lot about enemy creation, which should be interesting for all.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Lotus,

This whole project looks fantastic. I'll wait for as long as it takes. ;)

Thanks for updating us,

manaman