Food classics!

A place where you can chat about whatever.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

There are two types of drinks that I love to drink that are only sold in one store(the place I happen to work at) here in the tricity.

Faygo
Sundrop
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

I'm not sure what kind of "classics" we're looking for here... Classic Meals? Entrées? Salads? International cuisine?

Now, aside from that... I've always been a Meat and Potato person. I do eat alot of other food groups based on the :hof: Canadian Food Guide, as well as my own twists and turns that throw in there as well.

For drink, it's either water, 1% milk, juice. If I were to have a Soda/Pop, I stick to Ginger Ale, Root beer, or Orange Crush.

On topic of Jerky; I just made a big batch of venison jerky and sold it off for tuition payments.... I might go back out to the field and see if I can get me another buck for my own personal use.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Kassidy wrote:
Danny wrote:Sorry for borrowing your avatar Deques but I needed the proper expression to give them. img/avatars/2.gif
And then you wonder why people say they are insulted.
It was a joke. Geez, it's not like I posted a pic of a guy flicking his middle finger... I guess by your logic, Deques avatar offends everyone?
Kassidy wrote:And provide me with some reference material on this theory that humans were once carnivores, I haven't found anything substantial myself to support that theory.
Humans all were carnivores before homo-erectus. This is a very well known fact. I'll post a link for this shortly in another topic.

Back on topic: I'm having a hard time finding certain salamies and drinks. The Canadian Fanta isn't as good as the original German and other European ones. I also can't find the Romanian drink Ryo anywhere, not even at the Romanian stores! Luckly they still have that lemon and elderberry one. I can't remember the name of that one right now, I'll get back on that.
Last edited by Danny on Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Danny wrote:
Kassidy wrote:
Danny wrote:Sorry for borrowing your avatar Deques but I needed the proper expression to give them. img/avatars/2.gif
And then you wonder why people say they are insulted.
It was a joke. Geez, it's not like I posted a pic of a guy flicking his middle finger... I guess by your logic, Deques avatar offends everyone?
No, it's a case of context of use. The image itself is fine, it's how you're using it.
Jane Doe
Evil Sword

Post by Jane Doe »

I've never heard that either. I HAVE heard that humans were once herbivores though? Either way, I don't think I really care.
Ailise
Site Admin

Post by Ailise »

Danny wrote:But it has no taste without sugar! It's watered down and flavourless, it tastes like a lemon without citric acid! Sugar provides the body with energy so it actually is a good thing to use it. The only thing our cells need it order to survive are water, protein and sugar. All other things are used for our body but the cells don't use it as food. Calcium for example, is not used as food for our cells, it's used for our bones.

That's why vegeterian's usally have pale skin. Humans were once carnivores, it's in our nature to consume more meat than other things. Of course, all of that is changing now. Evolution is as cruel as it is funny, especially since people are evolving seperatly than how it was before (large group evolution.) That's what they told us in biology class. Meh, I learn more of that kind of stuff at home than at school though.
My first post in the forum... yay!

Now to reply to danny: WTF!?

Our cells need water, protein and sugar!?

1. Sugar
Sugar is carbohydrates, which you can also get from pasta, potato, rice and so on...
Carbohydrates the body uses as energy, just like fat. Carbs is harder for the body to store compare to fat, that's why the body stores fat mainly. Once the carbs are used the fat begins to get used. The problem with people today is that everyone eats to much carbs that the fat energy never gets used and you get fatter and fatter.
Atkins diet is all about not eating carbs. And sugar is just carbs!

2. Protein
Protein is used the build the muscles in our body. Animals is a great source of protein. BUT today you can get protein without eating animals. Beans for example contains a lot of proteins. So the veggies being pale in the skin is just BS.
The body need way more stuff then just Proteins, all type of minerals and vitamins are equally important.

^^ I wonder how "cave" man survived without sugar ^^
Danny

Post by Danny »

Off topic: I keep telling, I used it in a joking context. If I really wanted to insult you I would post an insult or as I said, a guy flicking his middle fingure. The tongue sticking out is a cute childish (and anime used) thing used for a comical response when you don't agree with someone. That's it.

Just look at your mouth, your front teeth are sharp not flat, humans were once carnivores. They turned into omnivores during homo-erectus. At that point, our appendix also allowed us to eat grass and leaves (in other words, we were able to digest celulose). I think this is what you heard Jane. Now we can't eat raw meat nor digest celuose any more which kind of sucks. The appendix still helps in digesting fruits and vegetables so it's not as useless as people thing. If it was completly useless, then our bodies would have taken it out through evolution. Our bodies don't feed useless organs, it still has a use. It's all well documented by Charles Darwin and a lot of other researchers.

Sugar is naturally found in fruits, vegetables and meats, duh. This is how the cave men survived and it's pretty darn obvious too. Yeesh! Once again, our cells need only water, sugar and protein for food to live. Everything else is just meant to build our bodies using different materials and componets. Just like how we need food to live but a house only needs materials to be built that we don't need to eat. You all need to study a lot more science before debating with me.

Can we also talk about evolution in another topic or through PM now? We're getting way off topic and this is also scaring away members who want to talk about classic foods they like. Funny that I should say this to an admin but I think that both Deques and Sheexy would agree on this.

On topic: Some teas are naturally sweet but most do require sugar to be drunk. Teas are also well spiced with cinnamon, mint, sugar and other things as well. Hench the popular British saying, "One lump of sugar or two?". Imagine trying to drink Earl Grey which is kind of bitter without sugar... I tryed and it wasen't very tasty, sugar made it great tasting though.
Last edited by Danny on Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jane Doe
Evil Sword

Post by Jane Doe »

tl;dr. I just skimmed through it a bit.

IMO, I'd say our teeth aren't very sharp. Not at all to tear chunks of meat off a cow.

And I don't care for tea very much.
Ailise
Site Admin

Post by Ailise »

I don't know where you get your faqs from.

If a human can't survive without sugar then it can't survive without minerals and vitamins.
Sugar just gives energy and it is short carbs which means temporary quick energy.
Example the mineral Calcium is needed by the body to build the bones and the teeth and to keep them in shape. Else you will suffer from different bone problems which could lead to death. Calcium alone is useless as the body need Vitamin D to absorb it.

Vitamins is needed by the immune system, else you will get all kind of diseases then all the Water, Protein and SUGAR in the world can't do crap for you.

edit: And with the lack of calcium you won't have teeth to bite the meat.
Also I hope you didn't get the sugar fact from the word "blood sugar".
Last edited by Ailise on Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Off topic: I got my facts from school. Although, they are wrong a lot of times. I need to study more on my own... And I didn't get the sugar fact from blood sugar. It was also from school...

On topic: What also happened to camembert? It tastes awesome and the softness is also quite nice. Darn it, all my timeless classics are dying. Is it so hard to get beef jerky, camembert and aloe drink? The European and Asian stores are the only thing keeping me alive these days.
Ailise
Site Admin

Post by Ailise »

I always heard/saw "Oreo" on movies and tv-series from the US. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oreo)
Here in Sweden we didn't have them. Until a few month ago I was walking in the supermarket and I saw them. I said: "Oh My Gosh!, IT*S THE COOKIES FROM TV"

Well... I bought a pack of cookie and to my surprised, they were totally disgusting ._.
The cookie was very hard, strong in taste (almost painful) and totally dry. In the tv they twist the cookie open to lick the write cream. Which was totally not possible here without breaking it and getting all black cookie stuff on your clear clothes.

Never again Oreos!
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Black cookies? Have they baked them too long?

There are double biscuits here with sweet filling between them, but they don't look like that (and they taste good).
Ailise
Site Admin

Post by Ailise »

There is allot of tasty double biscuits with filling in Sweden. I just taste this one because I got fooled by TV :D

I guess when Twinkie arrives to Sweden I'll stay far away from them.
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

Cookies made commercially in N.A. have always been, for a lack of better terms, over-cooked.
Only for the sol-reason for a longer shelf life before they expire.

RE: Twinkies.
I have one thing to say about them... over-kill on the sugar.
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Ailise wrote:There is allot of tasty double biscuits with filling in Sweden. I just taste this one because I got fooled by TV :D
Stop watching TV? :-P

I remember those double/filled biscuits in Sweden (or was it Norway?). They were indeed awfully tasty, with many more flavors than here in NL (vanilla and chocolate are the only choices here).