20 Disc Seiken Densetsu Box Set

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Zergrinch
Kid Goblin

Re: 20 Disc Seiken Densetsu Box Set

Post by Zergrinch »

Thanks nick! I didn't know why I glazed over your post. That bridge definitely is a few bars from Polpota!
nick912012
Pebbler

Post by nick912012 »

Zergrinch wrote:Thanks nick! I didn't know why I glazed over your post. That bridge definitely is a few bars from Polpota!
Haha yeah, I thought that was the case there. Glad I could be of some assistance to this for ya.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

I just can't understand how's there's no "Angel's Fear" in the medley. :/
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

bastian wrote:I just can't understand how's there's no "Angel's Fear" in the medley. :/
Itoken

-Kassidy, powered by Tapatalk, Swype and HTC Desire... and cake.
Zergrinch
Kid Goblin

Post by Zergrinch »

What's an Itoken
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Kenji Ito.

-Kassidy, powered by Tapatalk, Swype and HTC Desire... and cake.
Zergrinch
Kid Goblin

Post by Zergrinch »

So basically, Rising Sun is so awesome, Angel's Fear can't help but stay away? :(
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Not so much that. I'm pretty certain that I've covered this point previously (in fact I know that I have), but basically, here's the deal. If you were to ask most people who have had a moderate exposure to the series what the main theme for the series is, the chances are that, if they have played SoM among the titles played, they'll say that Angel's Fear is the main theme, which would be fair; it has been remixed a lot, it has received a lot of exposure, and given that the game was seen, at least outside Japan, as the first one in the series, it makes sense that the title theme for that game, which was reprised in SD3 (though not a copy&paste job), which was very much sought after by fans of the former game, would be the answer to that question.

Another point to mention now is that at events with orchestrated live VG music, SoM tends to be the source of choice (Symphonic Fantasies, for example).

LoM and HoM had themes of their own. Somewhat a separate kettle of fish.

As for the rest of the series, Ito was the main composer. His title theme for FFA was Rising Sun. It was understandably reprised in SwoM, since that was a revisit of the same basic story retold, and other themes were re-used. This made sense. DoM and CoM had Rising Sun as part of their title themes too, and for the most part it remained the same as the original theme, though orchestrated or with different instrumentation. Now I could be wrong on this, but it strikes me that there's an attempt to push Rising Sun as much as possible when it comes to Medleys or collections of music, as if Ito is trying to fight back against the popularity of Angel's Fear.

My irritation at this is only increased by the fact that the theme doesn't change from iteration to iteration, or at least not enough to warrant including it again. If you take the difference between Angel's Fear in SoM and Where Angel's Fear to Tread or Angel's Fear from SD3, there is a same underlying theme and melody, but the feel of the song is different, it is worked into another song, and it keeps it fresh. The most work that Rising Sun received was on the Let the Thoughts Ride on Knowledge album, with Takayuki Hattori at the helm, and all I have heard since from Ito is attempts at doing the same thing that Hattori did with the theme.

When you've heard one Rising Sun, you've heard them all.

Now don't get me wrong, I do like the song, but as with all things that receive too much radio play, as it were, I get sick of them. The chances are that there isn't the underlying agenda that I am describing, but to me it feels a heck of a lot like there is.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Got 6 tracks actually titled "Rising Sun" in my winamp, and that's not including the many tracks that incorporate parts of it in them, haha.

It's a really good song, but man, I've heard it more times than I've heard myself speak.