Videogame Movies

Multimedia discussion fun for all!

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

This is the thread to talk about videogames that were turned into movies!

BAD MOVIE!
Super Mario Brothers the Movie

This movie was pretty terrible.
Like, this movie was just a bad idea from the get-go. There isn't a good way to do Mario unless it is a cartoon, live action just doesn't make sense.
They made it too realistic and that just ruined it. Real fungus for the Mushroom king dude? What the heck?! Reptile Goombas? That is not right people.
Not right.

I have almost all of the movie trading cards and a cardboard cut out display for it though XD

GOOD MOVIE!

Silent Hill

Wow, this movie was pretty crazy awesome! I haven't played the games, but Jane told me all of the references in the movie to it, and there were a whole bunch of them.
The whole thing wasn't like, scary, but it was pretty creepy as heck at times. The monsters looked amazing!
I just wish that all the monsters would have gotten more screen time, or there would have been more of them.
The story was pretty interesting I thought.
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Sheexy wrote:Super Mario Brothers the Movie

This movie was pretty terrible.
Like, this movie was just a bad idea from the get-go. There isn't a good way to do Mario unless it is a cartoon, live action just doesn't make sense.
They made it too realistic and that just ruined it. Real fungus for the Mushroom king dude? What the heck?! Reptile Goombas? That is not right people.
Not right.
Oh I don't know. I thought it was pretty hilarious... because of how bad it was, but nevertheless it wasn't too bad. XD
kaze_no_hogosha
Water Thug

Post by kaze_no_hogosha »

DUDE! We were totally talking about this subject at school today! (Going to a gaming school is fun.) I have to agree with Tsurayu. I thought the Mario movie was funny. I think that's one of those "It's so bad it's good" type of thing.
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat 2
Street Fighter
DOA: Dead or Alive.

'Nuff said.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Now question here is do we include non-live-action films (say FFVII:AC)?

I think the funny thing back when Street Fighter live action came out was that they created a videogame based on the film of a videogame... Sad...

As for a good film... Resident Evil (1) was pretty good, all things considered.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

I thought the mario movie was good since it was a mario movie. but I was a kid back then and didnt have a good taste of choice when i first saw the movie. its probably crap now if i watch it again.

Dead or Alive was sure a bad movie. It seems they took the character from the game and put them in bad movie. Now i dont know the story in DoA games, but its probably a sucky one like the rest of the other fighting games.
Ailise
Site Admin

Post by Ailise »

I agree with Faalstar here.
Street Fighter was a disappointment.
DoA was just rofl!
and the mortal combat was just confusing, as they seem to try make it a bit like Bruce Lees Enter the Dragon movie but failed alot.

Resident Evil was to much of action movie. I wanted a scary zombie one.
Silent Hill games are way better ^^
I don't even remember the Mario movie.
Doom movie, うはwwwwww.

Lets just face it. They don't take videogames seriously, so they just take some n00b director, n00b script and make some senseless movie with minimal budget and call it like the videogame. This way they try to squeeze all the juice left possible of game.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

We want Uwe Boll :heart:
The best videogame movie director ever
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

@Ailise: Hollywood's just getting back at the game industry for mangling their movie-based games.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Look at Street Fighter. It got a movie called Street Fighter - The Movie. Then the movie got a game called Street Fighter - The Movie - The Game, which totally sucks even more than the movie probably XD

edit: sorry, my bad its not called The Game...
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

In the defence of the Mario movie, the actor was pretty spot on for Mario. The rest are questionable. Also, the first Mortal Kombat movie was actually good, but part 2 sucked major ass. The first RE movie was also good, and pretty scary, up until they just turned it into a action movie in part 2.

Im afraid to even WATCH the DoA movie for fear that it will waste a good 2 hours of my life...

Im actually surprised no one mentioned the Tomb Raider movies, which I hear are good...
Last edited by Duran on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

I thought the first Tomb Raider movie was good. I dunno why people say its crap.

Since this thread was created some more movies are being shot. First one is a Street Fighter movie. This movie will be about Chun Li and her story. I read somewhere that Kristin Kreuk will be Chun Li in this movie.

The second is a CG movie of Resident Evil. Good news that we wont see Milla Jovovich anywhere in the movie. Two previous RE character will appear in this one
Atria
Lullabud

Post by Atria »

Ailise wrote:Lets just face it. They don't take videogames seriously, so they just take some n00b director, n00b script and make some senseless movie with minimal budget and call it like the videogame. This way they try to squeeze all the juice left possible of game.
+1 ... Absolutely Agreed ^^

In my opinion, The movie of super mario ... psssss ... it was funny but if that movie was inspired in the videogame, I am Harry Potter xD.

On the other hand, I prefer Mortal Kombat 1, that movie was pretty cool =D I like it a lot @O@!. And Resident Evil 2 because Nemesis appears and nemesis remembered me many parts of the videogame in the movie.

Now, emmmm ... Doom is a crap xD ... and Final Fantasy The force within ... I didnt like it <_<!! nothing T^T XDDDD.

I hope the next videogame movies will be better pls! >_<
IrishLuiz
Wizard Eye

Post by IrishLuiz »

Final Fantasy Advent Children rocked! (and this comes from a guy that DIDNT like ff7)
kaze_no_hogosha
Water Thug

Post by kaze_no_hogosha »

FFVII: AC was good because it was done by the same design team as the original FFVII game. It wasn't handled by another party.