Sword of Mana

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Heck, I'll put my name down for it. As for date, I really would vote on waiting until after December is over, so maybe we start on New Year's Day?
rrfish
Kimono Bird

Post by rrfish »

New Year's Day? What a festive time to start. I am inclined to agree. Anyone second that motion?
Danny

Post by Danny »

Yes, I'll second that motion! New year's day is a great time to start playing Sword of mana again. Count me in!
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

The only thing we'll have to agree on additionally is the start time itself. Although most of the board is based in the States, I know that Destiny and I at least are in the UK, and I can't recall who else is outside the US (I have a terrible memory sometimes).

My proposal would be something like 5 or 6PM GMT, since this would make it daylight in the States and most of Europe. Now this does pose a problem for people in Asia or Australia, but I don't know what members are present there.

Alternatively, the other solution would be to set the start for 00:00 no matter what timezone you're in, and you clock in a total time from that point. So whatever time someone finishes, it will be measured from the 0 hour on Jan1 according to their own timezone. Which would actually make it easier to calculate, since we wouldn't be working on the time differences. It would mean, however, that anyone in the later timezones would have an advantage of a few hours knowing that someone else has finished (ie if someone in NY announces that they have finished at 17:00, this will give someone in Chicago 3 or 4 hours to try and finish quicker than the time difference).

This could be remedied by people waiting a full 24 hours before announcing that they have finished. This would avoid anyone being able to catch up in the manner described, as it were.

In the meantime, I have the track "In Search of the Holy Sword" severely stuck in my head. It is one of my favourites from FFA/SwoM
Danny

Post by Danny »

Well I'm in Canadian est time (Ont. Toronto). I think that I'm 5 hours ahead of you guys, but I'm not sure. We'll have to calculate the time very carfully. I'm sure that we'll figure something out.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

rrfish wrote:
Duran wrote:Im playing through Rocket Slime, Children of Mana, Treasure of the Rudras, Guitar Hero 2, AND Secret of Mana...All while working on my Mana d20 game.

So THERE!!!
So what's one more? :-)

Okay all who are up for a SwoM race to the finish...

Let's select a date and do this. I can wait as long as you can, so recommend times that are going to be good for you. :-) Let's do this thing! :-p (btw-I've been really emote happy lately. Sorry about that. :-/ )
Maybe later...
Major Tom
Mushboom

Post by Major Tom »

Sheexy wrote:
Major Tom wrote:As far as Isabella and the Death Jester go? Well Death Jester is a servant of the Dark Lich, who is in every game and seems to be up to no good usually.
This might explain the lack of having to fight the Lich in SwoM like you did in FFA.
Hahaha.

I'm gonna still stick to my claim that they feel tacked on, but you make perfect sense with your explanations, thanks for pointing those out to me.
If I weren't so lazy I'd try reading my Japanese Sword of Mana guide and figure this stuff out for us. It's got a section in the back of it which talks about the things they added into the game, and I can see a spot that has pictures of Goremand, Isabella and the Shining Knight (Apparently Dyluck from SoM) paired with their SNES counterparts.
I should get someone to help me read this, this could be some good info!

Nice call there.
Dyluck?! Good sir, please do that! Its been a rough time connecting Secret of Mana to any of the others. The old theory was Bogard is Randi, but it doesn't seem apparent now. In the intro for Sword where it shows like a mural depicting the heroes who defeated Vandole, the one who looks similar to Bogard isn't the one with the sword. And the other is Granz. So this "hero" is very unknown. This is whats known:

He wears clothes similar to Sumo, but has more of a sash coming down
He wears green clothes and bronze armour.
He could pass easily for a female in a warrior get-up.
His hair is long and brown and kinda wild
Strangely enough (at least to my knowledge) he is not talked about even ONCE within the entire game. The only reference of him is when they mention the three Gemma knights who beat Vandole. Why? Why wouldn't such a legendary man/woman be spoken of? Its very very strange.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Major Tom wrote:Strangely enough (at least to my knowledge) he is not talked about even ONCE within the entire game. The only reference of him is when they mention the three Gemma knights who beat Vandole. Why? Why wouldn't such a legendary man/woman be spoken of? Its very very strange.
Weren't the three heroes revealed to be Granz (the guy playing music), Selah (the one you mentioned that could pass as a girl) and Bogard?

*breaks out some stuff to read on it*

I dunno, that's all I'm finding.
Yeah, it's definitely those three.

Interestingly enough, in the same SwoM guide as that other stuff there is a short Manga about that battle taking place, and the people behind it.
I've really gotta get better at reading Japanese. Or getting my Japanese friends to read it for me...
Major Tom
Mushboom

Post by Major Tom »

Selah huh? So a girl? I didn't recall the hero being revealed, but still....that thing with Dyluck is interesting. Is Shining Knight even in SwoM?
Last edited by Major Tom on Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
rrfish
Kimono Bird

Post by rrfish »

Kassidy wrote:Alternatively, the other solution would be to set the start for 00:00 no matter what timezone you're in, and you clock in a total time from that point. So whatever time someone finishes, it will be measured from the 0 hour on Jan1 according to their own timezone. Which would actually make it easier to calculate, since we wouldn't be working on the time differences. It would mean, however, that anyone in the later timezones would have an advantage of a few hours knowing that someone else has finished (ie if someone in NY announces that they have finished at 17:00, this will give someone in Chicago 3 or 4 hours to try and finish quicker than the time difference).

This could be remedied by people waiting a full 24 hours before announcing that they have finished. This would avoid anyone being able to catch up in the manner described, as it were.
Actually this is a brilliant idea. So those of us who want to do this will start on the 1 Jan 07 at 00:00 in our respective time zones. Once complete we will post exactly 24 hours after completion with the date and time completed. I think this sounds great. (Sorry I did not reply sooner, I have been bloody sick and out of commission all day.)
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Major Tom wrote:Is Shining Knight even in SwoM?
Yeah, the Shining Knight guy is part of a series of sidequests you can do. You've gotta find shining items for him. His name is Vega and he pops up three times. He'll only show up each time if you did his quest before it.

Glittering Sword at Wendel
Glittering Armor at Menos
Glittering Helm in Jadd

I think that's all he's in.
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

Major Tom wrote:Selah huh? So a girl? I didn't recall the hero being revealed, but still....that thing with Dyluck is interesting.
Selah? ...that's weird. I had a little thread going elsewhere in this section, but it's probably going to be deleted upon my (more or less) request, for being stupid and know-it-all-ish. Also, I seem to keep proving that I really don't know it all, so that's probably for the better.

Anyhow, that thing with Dyluck is interesting, but like I said elsewhere, I really don't think it's the same guy. You can look at it any way you want, but in SoM, Serin was still the Mana Knight before Randi. If SwoM is SoM's past, it's the distant past, so Dyluck being there makes no sense - to further explain, there's no mention of Bogard, Granz, or Selah, and Serin's party was comprised of himself and Jema.
Last edited by The J Person on Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major Tom
Mushboom

Post by Major Tom »

Wtf. THAT is Dyluck? Thats lame. Still though, thanks for the information. Its too bad they translated his name as Vega instead. But there is a problem with that. If thats Dyluck, then that would make Fuji Randi's mother. If THATS the case, then Serrin would have had kid Randi with her. But ah...where was the time for this? And Serrin is also an old man when we see his ghost, yet Dyluck is young. I think SD2 is in need a definate remake to fix the holes as far as connecting the games goes. Also, are you sure it says DYLUCK, Sheexy? Could it say its a relative of Dyluck's maybe? I see what you mean J Person. At best guess I'd say Vega is Dyluck's grandfather/father maybe and not Dyluck himself.
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

Major Tom wrote:Wtf. THAT is Dyluck? Thats lame. Still though, thanks for the information. Its too bad they translated his name as Vega instead. But there is a problem with that. If thats Dyluck, then that would make Fuji Randi's mother. If THATS the case, then Serrin would have had kid Randi with her. But ah...where was the time for this? And Serrin is also an old man when we see his ghost, yet Dyluck is young. I think SD2 is in need a definate remake to fix the holes as far as connecting the games goes. Also, are you sure it says DYLUCK, Sheexy? Could it say its a relative of Dyluck's maybe? I see what you mean J Person. At best guess I'd say Vega is Dyluck's grandfather/father maybe and not Dyluck himself.
Wait a minute. Fuji?... you talkin' about CoM or something? I don't remember a Fuji... but then again I'm still working on beating SwoM myself, since I am a lazy bastard and still haven't done that yet. Guess I oughtta remember I have it in my DS when I go places, instead of going nuts playing Advance Wars all day...

And because I just realized I confused myself, I'll set the record straight:
Serin = Serin
Dyluck = Dyluck (maybe Vega's his ancestor or something, I dunno)
Selah = apparently one of the Gemma Knights, which seems reasonably familiar from my earlier attempt at a SwoM playthrough
Fuji = ??? (refresh my memory please)

Dyluck = Vega is something I dunno about, but I'm assuming the likeness was made the subject of some sorta controversy in one of Japan's magazines... that is what you were talking about, right?
Last edited by The J Person on Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major Tom
Mushboom

Post by Major Tom »

Well Sheexy mentioned that thing with Vega and Dyluck so it seems likely that Vega is somehow connected to Dyluck. Fuji is the Heroine's default name. Sumo is the Hero's. They don't have them in the game in the US versions (I personally prefer Dar and Kiri...) but I generally figured those names would be recognised by Mana fans. Guess I was wrong...sorry. うはwwwwww. But um yeah those other people are pretty much right on who they are...
Last edited by Major Tom on Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.