Norton Antivirus - Evil in a Yellow Box

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

kaze_no_hogosha
Water Thug

Post by kaze_no_hogosha »

Like Enslaven00bs I use AVG Free. It was recommended to me by my school's network administrator. I haven't had a problem with it and I like that fact it automatically updates daily.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

My mom just got some Norton junk from her workplace and brought it to me asking me to install it on the home computer and I told her to take it back. XD

I use AVG free, and my mom said she's gonna take the Norton back and get Avast.
If Kassidy uses Avast it's gotta be pretty good, I'll take it when she brings it XD
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

I have used Avast before, but I stopped because it was such a system hog on my old computer. I highly doubt that would be a problem anymore, but I just prefer Avira now. I think my dad still uses Avast on his computer.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Kas, you should watch this

Ailise
Site Admin

Post by Ailise »

I use Avast. ^^ I think it's good :P
mirage223
Rabite

Post by mirage223 »

Even Symantec realizes the evilness of their products.
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ts ... 3108162039
Ailise
Site Admin

Post by Ailise »

This tool was created because many Norton software don't have uninstalls anymore. To avoid some "virus" to auto-uninstall their software.
So if you want to uninstall you have to download this kind of uninstaller. That is how I had to uninstall the later Norton softwares.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Yeah, I used that recently too. Only way to get rid of the damned thing. Vader's computer went from taking 15 minutes to start-up to 4 minutes, which is still a lot but I didn't have time to work any further on the issue. I think that was enough of an improvement for one session though. ;)

Re Dekky: Very interesting marketing idea, though they forgot the scene where Norton Fighter clings on to the PC and doesn't let go. Good laugh though, cheers. ;)
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

I remember when NAV didn't suck (around, oh, 12 years ago. Now get off my lawn!!).

I use Clamwin nowadays.
Enslaven00bs wrote:Macs get viruses too. It's just rare because they are only 3% of the market share.
Um, yeah, and there's what, 4 for OS X? << didn't bother to Google for it in depth
You also have to manually install the payload and/or run it as a privileged user, IIRC.