Yet, Another Anime Thread (The Revivial)

Multimedia discussion fun for all!

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

I demand wasabi!
... brb.
*wasabi get!*
OW!
:rolleyes:

I don't mind the raw stuff; I watched all of Advent Children without subtitles my first time through. Didn't understand more than just the simplest common, everyday Japanese, but I hafta say it was much better than seeing Cait Sith speaking with a lisp -.-; god did I hate the subtitles when I got my hands on the DVD. And on that note, I find Cid's English voice talent to be talentless. But we've all heard enough about FFVII, I think, so I'll just stop there.

I'm about done watching anime for this month, but I'll be checking up on it again as it nears the end of the year. Hopefully my friend'll have all the good stuff downloaded by then and I'll have more to say. And with that, I think I'm off to check out the local bookstore, to see if I may find new manga.
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

Some words for the Red Garden staff (writers, producers, especially): Stop the singing! You're gumming up the production with needless theatrics, and distracting from the psychological thriller you've got going!

Yeah, I know, ep 3 is already done and awaiting broadcast, and there's not much I can do about it. *sigh*

It was probably one of the few psych sci-fi thrillers I was interested in, too. Bother.

Okay, rant over.

Negima!? is hilarious stuff. Glad I have a comedy while Bleach is mid-angst (though Negima!? is likely as not to be in similar fashion).
Last edited by Magus_Melchior on Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

I am SOOOOO not caught up with anime right now... -.-;;
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

Aw, that's okay. I'll just talk to myself ^^;;; (just kidding).

Okay, I think I have some idea of what I'm watching this fall:

(still watching fresh Bleach episodes... I think that's the only multi-year anime I've been tracking. From the looks of the new OP they're finally going to start the arc the manga had been doing, so the Bount stuff is mainly giving the original artist time to get a head-start. But I think we guessed that by now.)
(oh, right, NANA was still airing.)
Asatte no Houkou-- Drama about how a young girl and a twentysomething switch ages. Well animated, interesting characters.
Pumpkin Scissors-- Postwar anime about a tank(crew)buster and the new unit he's with. Hopefully they won't make all the battles seem too cliche.
Kanon-- Superb animation (from the makers of Haruhi) and acting; what a difference a studio and director make.
Negima!?-- I think they're trying to strike a balance between thriller/horror and comedy, and so far they're doing a good job.

(time-wasters)
La Corda d'Oro-- Actually, I might drop this one eventually, even though it's about a girl who gets a magic violin. << violinist
I mean, I like shoujo, but I've gotta draw the line somewhere.
Red Garden-- Psych thriller/supernatural mystery. And if they don't shape up and get focused, the only good thing about this anime will be the OP.
Mamoru-kun ni Megami blah blah-- Obligatory fanservice comedy, sort of in the style of Midori Days.
Code Geass-- (don't they mean Code Gears? silly Japanese and their Engrish). A schoolboy chessmaster receives the power of conquest. Seriously. A number of parallels to Gundam SEED for some reason, except they killed the Lacus equivalent (sort of) early on.
Hataraki Man ("Workaholic")-- Interesting show, but do I really want to watch a journalism drama?...
Happiness!-- Obligatory magical girl.
Tokimeki Memorial-- Weird shoujo.
Crescent Love-- Ditto.
Last edited by Magus_Melchior on Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

Hey, I still listen after all... heheh...

At this point I'm just ranting for rant's sake. No cable for downloading things to speak of, so no chance to view anime since the last time. But... I need to finish some other, older series, first, anyway. And I have a rant on my mind that's itching to be posted, so here you go; stop me if I start unknowingly ranting about something I already ranted about.

As much as I hate to say it, I'm gonna hafta go back and finish NOIR and Ayashi no Ceres. Both of them had potential to be good, and I have a lot of time to waste, so I'd like to actually finish these series myself rather than read a review. Blood or no, I'm bored. Mysteries always get my attention, as long as they don't end in Magical Girl or Mech Armageddon. Those are things that occupy their own seperate niches. Yes, I realize Aya is like, possessed or whatever. But doing something and doing it well makes all the difference. And I don't think having the ability to deftly kill people qualifies as Baho Shojou, either, even if it does have its roots in mythology. So those two sort of pass under my radar, for now. I wonder why I get into so many series that get bloody... maybe it's a subconscious thing?

I guess I should look into my viewing history if I want the answer to that question. Robotech. That's what the name of that series on Cartoon Network, back in the day, was. Prolly the first anime I ever saw, sadly. Yes I hate the cliches, and the universe it's set in is actually a little too weird for me, but I loved their ship design for some reason. It's been years, and I was a kid; I don't know if my artistic sense today would still tell me it kicked ass, but there's no avoiding it - I'm going to have to hunt it down and watch it all for judgement's sake. And maybe without the English dubbing. Holy crap, I'm a fanboy. ^^;

I'll reiterate, since I'm gonna rewatch it, too: Spiral kicked ass. If everything had actually gotten resolved and gone into a Season 2, instead of ending abruptly because the creator had a lapse of faith (or money or whatever) in his series, I'd still be watching it. Even though it was short, there is not much in the way of an existing multi-season anime (that I know of) that has ever had so much potential before actually becoming one. Not that I have no criticisms of the series; In fact, there are enough loose ends that if I hadn't enjoyed it so much getting up to the end of the series, I'd have said it became sort of an existential failure, which is what the last episode almost makes you think. But the fact remains, if it had gone on longer, it would have survived. Fanservice, plz! :D

Anyway, that was short. Hehe. I had much more to say. But I'm all done.
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

Well, if you're gonna watch the "original" Robotech, you'll have to look for two different shows under the Japanese titles (unless they're releasing them in R1 subbed, which I doubt). Macross was Robotech's "first saga", and later sagas are actually different anime titles that the American staff "massaged" (read: mangled) into the same timeline and universe. They got away with it, because the animation studio (and I think the director) was the same.

That said, I enjoyed the movie version of Macross, even though it's basically a condensation of the series into 2 hours or so. The first time I saw it was on a PBS network in Southern California, dubbed with British voices. I don't remember the dialogue then at all, but I did recognize Hikaru (Rick) and the Valkyrie (Veritech) fighters.

Side note: They (Caltrans, methinks) were just tearing up the concrete next door. I guess they can only go about a foot every ten seconds, so it took them about an hour to finish using the cutter. Made a frightful amount of noise.
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

Hmm... sounds like this could take awhile.
Stupid American staff... why do they do these things...? Anyway, I'm all for looking for the original Japanese stuff, but if it probably wasn't subbed, I'm not decided on whether it's worth it yet or not.

Reply to said sidenote: Indeed, Caltrans sucks. But PBS broadcasting anime? Wtf?
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

Mind you, it was in the 80s, when the Americans were more concerned with influencing children rather than the stuff they were handling. As I mentioned, I don't know if the original anime was released here with subtitles, but nowadays licensees are a lot better at doing this (with more recent anime, that is).

Re: sidenote: It was KLCS, as i recall. They had a 2-hour chunk of dead space, or they had a program on Japanese culture. Something like that.

Edit: Anyhoo, I'm keeping Red Garden. Episode 3 was pretty good in terms of character and story, and they didn't add filler, which is always appreciated (read: they brought in some backstory to fill in some of the mystery at the beginning). I'd mention more, but it'll ruin ep 3; I can only say that it's definitely a zombie thing that's pretty good in terms of production, and there may be vampires. Maybe.

The funny thing is, I'm not into scary or adrenaline-pumping stuff, but this is more horror than your typical scary movie, and the action scenes are quite intense, though nothing like the Eva movies or the like in terms of graphic violence.
Last edited by Magus_Melchior on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Finally the last 8 eps of E7 have been released! I'll get to watch them this weekend...

<Edit>

The last 8 eps had some interesting plot twists, some of which I didn't expect. I liked how Renton's attitude changed during the climax of the series. And is it just me, or does Eureka look really cute with those wings?

Magus, you were right about Anemone. The first few of those eps were very important to her as far as character goes.

Overall, I was quite satisfied with the ending, despite not showing what became of Gekko State.
Last edited by Duran on Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

"Hit me... hit me, please... I couldn't save Dad, or my sister... I couldn't protect Eureka...! I'm just a kid who can't do anything. I'm the worst sort of person who can only talk big..."
"Are you done?"

Probably the definitive moment in the series for Renton for me.

Yeah, it's cool how Eureka's character design came full circle.

I want a Big Burg dinner. Oh, wait, I'm not a Thurston.

In other news, I discovered the music in The Wings of Rean is written by the same guy who did the trippy music behind Gundam X. Woot.
Last edited by Magus_Melchior on Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Yeah, that was a good line...

I also think its kinda funny what Eureka and Renton did to the moon...
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

I have a feeling that was more the Nirvash than Eureka and Renton; then again, they didn't really bat an eye when their photograph on the longboard was plastered on the ray=out magazine
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Magus_Melchior wrote:I have a feeling that was more the Nirvash than Eureka and Renton; then again, they didn't really bat an eye when their photograph on the longboard was plastered on the ray=out magazine
Yeah, they actually liked that picture and didn't mind if Stoner published it.
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

I just realized that practically all of the anime I'm watching this season (except for Bleach, NANA and a couple of others) fall on Thursday in Japan.

Which means the distros have 'em up on Thursdays (usually) if they're quick.

I just got hammered today. Hopefully they'll be late next week...

(edit: 10/28/06) Just read the last volumes of the Mahoraba manga, and I have to say that I like it better than the anime; at least it explains how Haibara got the brown dog puppet, and is a more plausible explanation of Kozue's multiple-personality disorder. That, and it ties up a lot of the plot threads in each of the characters' lives.

... and if you don't understand what I was talking about, go watch the anime.
Last edited by Magus_Melchior on Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.