Yet, Another Anime Thread (The Revivial)

Multimedia discussion fun for all!

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Makubesu
Blat

Post by Makubesu »

Well, I finally finished Card Captor Sakura yesterday, pretty awesome manga. I didn't like how the whole last volume had no action in it, but I was really impressed by how developed each of the love stories were, and thought the world design was fantastic.

Now I need to find something to keep me busy until the rest of Fate/Stay Night downloads...
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Hey Makubesu...You don't need to worry about Fate/Stay Night...its an excellent series.

2 other anime series that I've seen.

Ouron High School Hosts Club - Its about a club of gentlemen at a prestigious school, who "bring fortune to the ladies." I've seen the first few eps, and even though it seems a little girly at times, its pretty funny.

When Cicadas Cry - First off, this is one f'ed up series...The first 3 eps are creepy as hell, and then the following episode leaves you thinking: "WTF!?"

I also got done watching Eureka 41 and 42. They were really good, I think. I hate how 42 leaves you hanging...
Last edited by Duran on Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

Coyote Ragtime: I don't know, but the series title does remind me of Cowboy Bebop.

After reading the info on the website and ANN, it's reminding me of both Bebop and Outlaw Star (sci-fi western). I think I'll let yous watch it and tell me how it goes.

When Cicadas Cry (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni): It's a murder mystery, I'm told, but I'm not into thrillers or messed up psychological anime myself. If you're into stuff like The Game, I think this one'll get your adrenaline going.

Eureka Seven 42: This is actually a very important episode for Anemone.
Last edited by Magus_Melchior on Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

I take it that you're not into the sci-fi western or the murder mystery things... ^.^;;
Well thats cool I guess. I'll let you know how they turn out.

As for Eureka 42, I was unaware of it being important for Anemone. How so?
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

Duran wrote:I take it that you're not into the sci-fi western or the murder mystery things... ^.^;;
Well thats cool I guess. I'll let you know how they turn out.

As for Eureka 42, I was unaware of it being important for Anemone. How so?
More like, I don't have the patience or the guts to watch said genres (respectively).

After episode 42, Anemone is never the same; this episode will get the ball rolling for episode 48.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

I see...I'll let you know how they turn out.

And I'll patiently wait for the next Eureka
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

(I wonder if they'll be bugged with me res'ing an old thread?)

Just finished Honey & Clover II...

I'm sure I said it already, but although it has a sad ending, I don't feel let down like I normally do. Maybe it's because both manga and anime didn't make a big fuss out of the letdown, or overdo the drama like so many other productions do.

Or maybe it's the coffee I'm drinking.

Seeing as how it's yet to be licensed (if at all), I highly recommend both seasons of Honey and Clover to those who like anime (even if you don't dig slice-of-life or romance). I don't know who subbed it, having stuck with the raws, but I'm sure the more well-known groups have good translators on board.

Other anime news:
They're gonna air another season of Nanoha in 2007, called "StrikerS". This might be a good thing, but I know very few anime series that did well in its third iteration. But maybe they'll have their budget expanded this time (the first 2 seasons had MIDI BGMs, in-house theme songs (by the leading voice actresses), and, well, passable animation... at least the drama was good).

As a possible filler episode, Ah! My Goddess season 2 will be doing the chapters in volume 6 they skipped after all-- Urd gets turned into a little kid and a boy falls for her. Oddly, Shoboi Calendar (Japan's anime community's answer to IMDb and TV Guide, sans reviews) said the latest episode (#22) is the last one. Weird.

And finally, a few quotes from episode 20 of said series (Keiichi and Belldandy (with suspended license) get stuck in an infinitely large room through a machine Skuld built):
Urd: So, what does that machine run on?
Skuld: Batteries.
Urd: How long until it runs out?
Skuld: A week.
Urd: Hey, can't you make a machine that can advance time by a week?
Skuld: I can make it if I have to, but it'll take six days to finish.
Urd: That's not good.
Skuld: Agreed.
Urd: Oh, how about making two machines that advance time by 3 days apiece?
Skuld: Well, I can make one in two days, so that's four days!
Urd: Until then, Keiichi can hold out against starvation!
Skuld: ... But onee-sama won't hold out watching that...
Urd: Good point...
Urd: How about six machines that advance time by 1 day?
Skuld: Well, that's half a day apiece... Sweet! I'll be done in 3 days!!

(Extra credit: if Skuld actually builds the machines, how much of each-- assuming she has the three choices above-- should she build to minimize the "time" spent in the room waiting?)
Last edited by Magus_Melchior on Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Im still waiting on Eureka...Turns out that the last 8 eps are going to be put on a batch file...
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

"It's you and me, pal!" "We've got the synergy."

School Rumble 2nd Term ended a day or two ago; not as insane as the season 1 ending, but a cute one nonetheless.

Probably will edit some more as other spring/summer series close.

edit:

Simoun ended also with a frayed ending (read: lots of loose threads). This either means they're promising a sequel (hah) or they didn't find an ending everyone in the staff could agree with.

edit pt 2: Oh, forgot Utawarerumono. I don't know why, but this season they couldn't find an ending more interesting than "let's get rid of the main character(s)!"...

and...

A!MG season 2 is officially over, and they put a preview for the season 1 DVD special as a "next episode" teaser. Weird. Kinda like how they put a nonexistant episode as the teaser for the episode after the second S1 DVD special. Is there anyone doing any planning over there?
Last edited by Magus_Melchior on Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

Just thought I'd chime in - again - since I've recently finished a couple of series.

First of all... I'll just reiterate that my taste in anime and such is... weird, at best. I like a lot of things.

I've recently completed Spiral, GunXSword, and Air. I have to say, out of the three, Spiral is probably the one I liked the most. It's somewhat in the lines of a detective series, but it has this lingering feeling that there's always more to the story than what you see on screen, right down to the last episode. I look for a sequel or a game or a manga, but I haven't been able to find any such thing. Also, Ayumu Narumi is my role model. In that... manly... -ish... way... ><;

On a side note... if you find yourself tending to mimic the behavior of anime characters right after you've watched an episode, spending about three days in isolation after you finish Spiral is the best reccomended course of action. Otherwise you'll come off as paranoid, and alienate all of your friends. :D

GunXSword, or Gunsword for those of us who have to say it aloud, is by far the best mech series I've ever seen. It's not all mechs, though, which is why I like it. There's... some blood, but it's not overly gory or really even that bad on the eyes. It has a bit of an air to it of "THIS IS ANIME. IT'S JAPANESE. WITH MORALS," but by the last episode that's pretty much gone out the window. Unfortunately there are only like... 26 episodes. About the middle of the series, there's a lot of "WTF?!" going on. You'll love it. But it is still only 26 episodes long, so those looking for a long diversion had best look elsewhere. Same goes for Spiral, and Air is even shorter, so... yeah. The main character's name is Van, and he's wearing what passes for a tuxedo on his world through the whole thing. Some might say he looks like Vampire Hunter D, but I really don't care. All these series, by the way, have been fansubbed, and if you watch fansubbed anime on a normal basis you shouldn't be bothered by the lack of good translations of stuff in a few parts, so long as you're paying attention to the corrections of grammar and the like that have been made later on as you watch them. Anyway, I had a third one... oh yeah.

Which brings me to Air. Quite possibly THE most dramatic/emotional series I've ever seen, even if (and perhaps because) it is based on an H-game. The ending will seem really depressing if you don't understand the last few minutes of it. It's made by the same people who made Kanon by the way, so that makes it kind of a niche type of anime that most people just don't watch. This one was recommended to me by a friend... seeing as how she's female, I figured it'd be safe to watch. Luckily, that turned out to be true: no hentai action. So I also figure it's safe to recommend here. It was good, after all. IMO.
Even so... this series will make you cry. The fansubbers even posted a little warning in one of the episodes about that.
At any rate, this is still the shortest anime I've ever watched, with only 13 episodes, the final one being a recap of everything that's happened. So if you wind up liking it, you will be screaming for more. Well, there was more, but the movie was just a retelling with lower quality art style, from what I recall. There is also apparently a "summer special", which I know next to nothing about at this point, but I've been told to watch.

I always have too much to talk about, so here's another round.
Final Fantasy Unlimited is another series I've completed - with emphasis on the fact that it was discontinued *cries* - which was intially promoted by Square and then dropped due to a surprising! lack of popularity in Japan. It's no surprise, then, that when it was actually translated and dubbed into English officially, it sucked. Hard.
It's too bad, really, because back in the day there was talk of turning it into a game. It's one of the few Final Fantasies I actually liked, too. It might remind you of it a bit, but it's totally different. It would have made a nice entry into the Seiken Densetsu series... if for no other reason that it has so much in common with it: mana, and being overlooked by Square! On a side note, all the music was composed by Uematsu (to my knowledge) and the songs with vocals were sung by his daughter, or so I heard, so if anybody's interested, there should still be some fansubs floating around.

As for other stuff I've watched, all of that can pretty much be summed up as "you wouldn't like it." From my experience, anyway. Even so, I'd be interested to read into Tsubasa: RC and xxxHolic as anime, but I'm generally convinced that after CCS, nothing CLAMP makes will be as good as an anime as it is as a manga. I could be wrong, though. In the manga, I've progressed up to chapter 12 in *owns all 12 - not to brag*. Looks to be getting very interesting, though I still have to say I prefer CCS more because it was more upbeat. However, I'm particularly interested in the side stories that are introduced here, mainly because A: they're not about Sakura and Syaoran, and B: because they're complex. I look for the truth behind Clow Reed to be revealed. Muhahaha, I'm lame. *shame*

Comic Party is another manga I will recommend. It's also an anime but the manga is far better (5 volumes long, for those who care, as opposed to four DVDs). It's about - surprise - a doujin artist and his struggles to become an actual manga artist. It's pure comedy, with an annoyingly underdeveloped love story. If you don't like to laugh at everything, this one's not for you.

Finally, Chrono Crusade (which I have finished) was recommended to me by my **** of a friend who lives in another state - I'm sure I've mentioned him once before, but he doesn't really need the publicity, *evil grin*. As an anime and a manga it's pretty superbly done, though, don't go looking for anything deeper than "IT'S JAPANESE, IT HAS MORALS, Oh My Gosh! YOUR MOM" in terms of plot development. Hell, it could have been a retelling of Final Fantasy 7, but with - somewhat dissapointingly - less depth. Even has something like the lifestream. Still, I love the intro music for it (it's called Pleasure Line, you've probably heard it, it's pretty popular), so it gets an honorable mention just for that. It also has a lot of religious propaganda (one of the main characters is a nun) but it's twisted in that Japanese way that everything gets when they mess with stuff, so it really shouldn't bug you unless you're deeply religious - but hey, you read manga/watch anime, so why would you be? *stereotyped*

In other news, I still want my Seiken Densetsu anime series. Get with the program, S-E!!!
*puts everyone else's anime on To Watch list*
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

First off, welcome back J Person to the anime discussion, and great post!

I have a feeling you'll like the new season's Pumpkin Scissors, which I just saw episode 1 of. No mechs to speak of, but a very gritty postwar series about a guy who was a tankbuster.

Well, he didn't kill the tanks themselves, he didn't have the ordnance. He killed the crews.

Re: Tsubasa Chronicle; I don't think Mad House did the series, like they did CCS, so that might be part of the difference. Whoever did TC took their sweet time fleshing out the various stories (mainly for eye-candy purposes, I think) in season 1, and this tended to make the arcs really drag. I didn't like that, or the fact that the first few worlds seemed a bit repetetive to me, as the feathers were kinda like Jewel Seeds from Nanoha or S2 reactors from Eva. They were powerful, but individually weren't unique except for the memory that they contained, so there wasn't as much depth as to their retrieval as there was in the Clow Card arc of CCS *.

Air did confuse me-- maybe you can tell me what happened to Yukito? That plot thread to me was the fuzziest. The three arcs (Yukito's arc, the past, and the crow) that they presented is certainly unique. It could be a production best appreciated to those who've played the game. I dunno.

As I haven't watched either Chrono Crusade or Comic Party (though the latter's premise is pretty good from what I've read/heard), I can't really comment on those.

SD anime seconded. Here's for Square Enix taking a lesson from Namco (not for Eternia, but for Phantasia) and releasing an adaptation of SD2 or SD3 on DVD.

* Incidentally, that initially turned me off to Nanoha. I didn't know that there was a bigger backstory lurking beyond episode 4. D'oh.
Last edited by Magus_Melchior on Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

On Air: It's confusing because it's weird. Just for starters, Yukito became the bird, presumably either because he died because of the curse, or because of whatever magic he had, or both. If that wasn't what was confusing you, I can explain more, but I'd rather not give away the plot to anyone who hasn't seen it, so... PM time for that I guess. :D

Pumpkin Scissors? The name alone intrigues me. Since I'm someplace where downloading stuff is easy, I'll put my (cable-equipped) friend's skills at tracking things down to good use. He needs something to do anyway. *maniacal laughter*

Oh, and just for the sake of discussion, Ouran School Host Club (did I get that right?) is all over deviantArt under fanart, so anybody who's interested in seeing decent/weird stuff like that can just zip over there and do a quick search for it (though there is much yaoi; ye be warned!). I have yet to actually give it a watch, but chances are I'll see it at some point or another. I'll take the fact that it showed up here as a pretty decent recommendation. :D

I've been wanting to finish the CCS anime just because I don't own all the DVD's yet, but I have watched it kind of out of order; that doesn't bug me like it does other people for some reason. So, I know how it ends, I just missed a little bit of the stuff that happens along the way. Just on a side note, I find it downright amazing how much music was created for that series, even the stuff that was just on the CDs and not in the series itself.

I want to check out YukiKaze, because it looked trippy as hell when I saw it at Comic Con last year, but I haven't had the chance because it was just so bizarre and none of my friends were into it too much - specifically, the friend who recommended Air fell asleep on her ex-bf's shoulder, and he, well.. just didn't get it at all. From what I saw it was about a fighter pilot and his friend, and the AI of the fighter he... pilots. And... faeries? So yes, very bizarre. It has a very realistic style to it, which is odd because it came from Studio GONZO, the people who did the CG in Final Fantasy Unlimited, and, well... the art style of that anime was kind of... very NOT real. But I anticipate just about everybody here would find it interesting once it picks up enough speed to make that much sense. Assuming it ever does.
Fun stuff.

I think it's about time I take a long nap, so I'll get back to this later, but hafta say I'm having loads of fun. Glad to be back.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Right now, my major anime veiwing has been temporarilly suspended, since Im waiting for Nanashi to finish E7, and trying to get a hold of Ouran High School Hosts Club, as well as Tenjou Tenge. Until then, Im watching whatever random anime on my computer that I haven't seen yet...

One series that caught my attention was one called Chocotto Sister. Its basically about this young man who always wished for a younger sister as a child. Unfortunately he never got that wish as his mother miscarried their second child and was unable to have children after that. Interestingly, duing a cold December morning, this boy recieves a visit from the one and only Santa Claus (Who is apparently portrayed as a busty, biker woman, riding a uniquely festive-red motorcycle that flies), who then delivers a younger sister to this boy.

My first impression of the series is that I think its really cute seeing as how the boy's sister (Who eventually is named "Choco"), knows next to nothing about the world except basic things like walking and talking. If anyone has seen this, do you know if its really good or not?

Oh, and just for the sake of discussion, Ouran School Host Club (did I get that right?) is all over deviantArt under fanart, so anybody who's interested in seeing decent/weird stuff like that can just zip over there and do a quick search for it (though there is much yaoi; ye be warned!). I have yet to actually give it a watch, but chances are I'll see it at some point or another. I'll take the fact that it showed up here as a pretty decent recommendation.
Unlike the deviantArt fanart, Ouran is actually pretty funny. The closest thing to yaoi in the entire series is the twins, and they only act that way to tease the girls. If you think about it, each of the members of the Hosts Club (minus Haruhi) spoof on each type of Bishounen that fangirls love the most, by taking it to the extreme. I guess thats why I find it entertaining.
Last edited by Duran on Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

*quickpost*
Fangirls are fine; it's the creepy yaoi-obsessed ones that keep me at arms-length (not a typo, Shinai = wonderful defense against fangirls... <.<;; ).

So I'm on my friend's computer, looking for Pumpkin Scissors... I could only find episode one. I'm gonna hafta wait awhile, it seems *starts paying attention more*. From the review that was available of just the first episode, I'd say I'm definetly into that. Didn't know it was made by GONZO. The art here is only slightly less realistic than YukiKaze.

On the off-chance anyone knows, when's the next Tsubasa Chronicle manga due out? I've been sitting on #12 since Comic Con.
Last edited by The J Person on Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

Well, only ep 1 of Pumpkin Scissors came out in Japan, so you're stuck there until a couple of days when the next one airs... There's a bit of technical stuff in there, so it might take some time for a fansubber to translate (unless you're like me and like the raw stuff. speaking of which, my parents sent me some wasabi. coincidence...?).

Usually (it's been my experience, anyway) animation studios will try to match the style of the original artist (if the production is based on a manga), adapting it to the screen as needed. If it's an original, often they'll come up with a distinctive style for that work. GONZO, I'm told, has been hit-or-miss, but I think it has more to do with the entire production, not just the animation.

Speaking of whom, they're airing a GONZO original called Red Garden, which is set in (I believe) New York City, and is a combination supernatural (as in zombies) murder-mystery involving four girls at a Catholic school. It sounds bizarre enough to be a comedy, but it's definitely not aimed at kids. Episode 1 was good, but they had an insert song that was excessively long IMO.

I've also been following the Wings of Rean, which is Tomino Yoshiyuki's (creator of Universal Century Gundam and Turn-A) latest creation. Interesting stuff, a lot of stylistic similarities with Turn-A Gundam.

Another one I'll be watching to kill time is Crescent Love, which is a low-budget romantic comedy.

Re: Air: Meh, I figured as much. I'm not much of a fan of "rewinding" the plot of an anime, because that often means reused animation, dialogue, etc.

"Yeah, you can get a nickel for boosting Starfall. But jacking Heal's a ten-day stint in County. Now lifting Faerie Fire, they just let you go for that—it's not even worth the paperwork. But Reincarnate! Man, that'll get you life!"
Last edited by Magus_Melchior on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.