Seiken Densetsu World Manual

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

Is there anywhere I can find a good Seiken Densetsu world manual, something that covers all the different magics, monsters, places and such. If not, would anyone be interested in attempting to compile one?
The premise would be that it would be simply a book of monsters, races, common locations, the spirits, the magic systems, etc. That coule be used for Role-Players, fan-game makers, and fans alike as a reference to the entire universe.
Currently I am trying to distill the information from the games (I have played and beaten them all multiple times, except CoM) into the basics, and then detail it all back up again, like for example right now I am trying to get all the races present in the game named off and at least a paragraph about them with a picture (You should see my poor notebook)

Anyways, anywhere that someone may have already done this, or else can you help out? I plan on gleaning everything I can from the websites, but most of them state the same thing over and over.

EDIT: Here is what is being worked on currently, if you would like to do something, either take the one being offered, or make a request for a job. This way people aren't all working on the same thing, and I have a bit more control over the order the information comes in.
You can download files marked with *'s as tehy are finished. Please right click, then save as.

Races
Human
Elves
Sprites
Jumi
Beastmen (Beast Kingdom)
Beastmen
Magical
Niccolo - Lotus *
Chobin - Lotus *

Spirits
Wisp (Lumina)
Shade
Luna (Aura)
Dryad
Gnome
Jinn
Undine
Salamando

Locations
Wendel
Jadd
Topple
Granz Realm
Ishe
Menos
Forcena
Altena

Thanks,
Lotus
Last edited by Lotus on Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I don't think there is anything like that out there, but if you check the main page of http://www.seikens.com you can find some of the information you're looking for.
If you need any specific information you can ask it here, I'm sure we people could come up with some useful information for you.

Other than that, you may want to look into the Legend of Mana Ultimania guide. It's in Japanese but it's got tons of info and details on Legend of Mana.
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

I have no way to read Japanese, so it won't be of much use to me, I do however have a really nice guide for Legend of Mana, by Brady Games I think.

What I'll do is request one thing for someone to work at, when someone calls it, I'll post something else up, I think that is a fair way of doing it, I'll try and keep the first post up to date on my progress as well as who is doing what, also if someone wants to volunteer for a task, feel free.

First Up: Race - Jumi
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Im actually working on a Seiken Densetsy d20 game, which Im making completely from scratch. I've got the races down (Or the ones Im gong to use anyway...), I've added the general ones (Human, Elf, Dwarf, Jumi, etc) and I created some of my own, based off characters from the game series.

So far, I've only got general information and havent been able to really go into what each race is like.
Last edited by Duran on Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

I have considered doing a d20 based game for it before, but felt a role-play system would have to be unique to get the proper effect of the game. I have a lot of other games on my plate right now, so haven't done this yet, it is a consideration after I get all the information distilled from the games.
rrfish
Kimono Bird

Post by rrfish »

Duran,

That sounds pretty awesome. Let me know if you are looking for any playtesters.

-Reverend Rumble Fish
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

rrfish wrote:Duran,

That sounds pretty awesome. Let me know if you are looking for any playtesters.

-Reverend Rumble Fish
Thanks, but I got a handful of D&D friends to use as guinea pigs...And I'll assure you, there WILL be deaths! *Evil Grin*

As for the world, Im using places from the actual games, and organizing each town and area into regions. Im currently toying with the idea of adding Rolante into the mix.

Here's a few of the races that I've added:

Gatari

Bearing resemblance to both man and cat, they’re normally a peaceful race. As experts at both hunting and fishing, Gatari make their living off not only the ocean, but also the neighboring forests, where they track various game. ex. Daena (Legend of Mana)

Usagan
Rabbit-like people, who are almost always on the move, they are both expert traders and merchants. With their constant traveling, they have become exceptional fighters and travelers, as well. Mostly nomadic, they consider the entire world their home, only making encampments when they decide to rest. ex. Niccolo (Legend of Mana)

Canisean

Half-man, half-wolf, they are a proud warrior race. Masters of melee combat, they are regarded by the other races, as the excellent fighters, but none can surpass the skills of the Canisean royal family, who are the most prestigious fighters in the entire world. Probably the most feared characteristic of the Canesean is their ability to transform into werewolves at will during the hours of the night and making their home within a land of eternal night, gives them a strategic advantage against any force that dares to challenge them. ex. Lugar, Beast King (Seiken Densetsu 3)

Sprites
While resembling humans, sprites grow no bigger than an average human child. Known for their long flowing hair as well as their white ear-like appendages (sometimes colored with paint) protruding from the top of their heads, they are often seen co-existing with moogles in the forests. One with the flow of mana, they have been known to be extraordinary magicians as well as proficient in boomerangs, swords and spears. ex. Popoie (Secret of Mana)

I've added elves, but I've split them into sub-races. I'm also working on a skill-point system for weapons where basically, Im using the weapon abilities from Legend of Mana, and Im adding elements to certain ones like "Bubbles" and "Quakebringer." Im also dividing them into 4 levels based on their level of damage. Once the player has enough skill points, for a certain weapon, they can learn a new weapon skill.
Last edited by Duran on Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

Your Usagan are actually Niccolo. That is the race name as of Children of Mana. Aren't Sprites the offspring of Elves and Humans, I think they said that is SD3, or perhaps SoM.
rrfish
Kimono Bird

Post by rrfish »

Duran,

That sounds like a sweet set up.

I have been toying with the idea of running a modern Mana game via the BESM tri-stat system. Or even utilizing the new World of Darkness system. I most likely would take it online via rpol.net.

-Reverend Rumble Fish
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Oi, Jumi seems like a really deep one to get into, you've got all those different stones, which I'm sure would have so many different effects on the people.
Maybe we should get a geologist for that one, hahaha.
I don't have much time on my hands, but if I did any I would love to do the Jumi's, as they are my favorite race from the Seiken Densetsu series.
So what kind of stuff is needed here?
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

What I am looking for is Physical Description, Culture, Elemental Affinity, Class Preference, that sort of thing.
The easiest way I know of to do this sort of thing is to outline what we know about the race (or whatever), and then figure out how to expand as much detail into that as you can, then after that is done, pull it all together into a cohesive unit.
I'll try and get an example up soon, as not too much is known about the Niccolo, I am going to make up a little bit and fill the rest in as best I can. I should have a PDF of it done in a day or so.
Sheexy, can I mark you down for the Jumi? You can always get help, in fact I encourage it, I just don't want two people working independently on the exact same thing.

I whipped up the information I had on the niccolo, you can download a small pdf from the first post.

I added the Chobins as well. if anyone finds something which needs added, or is incorrect based on game data, please let me know so I can fix it.
Last edited by Lotus on Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Lotus wrote:Your Usagan are actually Niccolo. That is the race name as of Children of Mana. Aren't Sprites the offspring of Elves and Humans, I think they said that is SD3, or perhaps SoM.
Are you serious!? Quite a coincidence...

And no, sprites arent the offspring of Elves and Humans, those are commenly known as half/elves.
Last edited by Duran on Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

So which one is quite the coincidence, the Sprites or the Niccolo?
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Niccolo and his race was quite the coincidence...

As far as my Seiken Game goes, Im going to use the standard D&D classes and rules. Once I finish the overall rules and the like, I'll post it up here so you guys could use them, and perhaps help me work out all of the "bugs," so to speak.
Last edited by Duran on Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

I would be happy to lend a hand, if you aren't able to make pretty documents with the final works, I can help with that as well.

Also, I am going to edit the first post to contain all of the stuff that I plan on having, if I miss something let me know.