Who was it..

Multimedia discussion fun for all!

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

..who recommended Yuki Kajiura's music Image to me? I liked her songs for the anime .hack//SIGN a lot, which led me to download ;* and watch the series. I'm enjoying it a lot, so thank you! :-D

(no spoilers please; I'm only up to episode 6)
IrishLuiz
Wizard Eye

Post by IrishLuiz »

"Come with me in the twilight of a summer night for a while...... Tell me of a story, never ever told years before..."

Hack sign has one of the best soundtrack ever. I wish i could have watched it to the end =/
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Watched it to the end? Why not?
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Dot Hack Sign definitely did have an awesome soundtrack, but the plot just seemed overly done. Just felt increadibly stretched for a plot that didn't have that "umph" to begin with.
kaze_no_hogosha
Water Thug

Post by kaze_no_hogosha »

I'd too liked the music to Dot Hack Sign but I thought the Anime was kind of confusing at points. I still enjoyed it none the less.
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

It's like a sin for me to say this, but I actually enjoyed Legend of the Twilight more than I did SIGN. It was funnier while keeping the deep and thought provoking plot, that for me, flowed better than the choppy and confusing plot of SIGN.

Anyway wasn't me. Maybe Deques? <.<
Last edited by Tsurayu on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

I thought it was someone here who mentioned Yuki Kajiura, maybe on the 'what are you listening to right now' topic. Could've been Last.fm's recommendation or similar artists though.

Anyway, just wanted to say I liked the anime a lot. Great soundtrack, good story, interesting characters. Subaru & Tsukasa forever Image

What's next in the .hack series?
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

You mean like what's next after SIGN or what's next for the series in general?

If you are talking about SIGN then, anime wise, it would Legend of the Twilight. Otherwise I think the latest major Dot Hack item would be the .hack//LINK manga.
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

I meant, which anime film or series comes after SIGN. Wikipedia lists a lot of novels and manga and games (.hack//ZERO looks interesting because it's also about Tsukasa), but few anime.
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Ah yeah, next would be Legend of the Twilight and then would be ROOTS. Well also there is the Liminality OVAs that come bundled with the original Dot Hack games - they would come after SIGN and before LoT, but they aren't all that interesting especially if you haven't played the games.
Last edited by Tsurayu on Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
IrishLuiz
Wizard Eye

Post by IrishLuiz »

I started watching Sign on television, but the exibition times were horrible so i gave up.

You prefered Legend of Twilight ???????? Oh lord thats blasphemy ^_^ !!! i watched a few LoW episodes and i felt like murdering Shugo and his stupid/annoying sister.
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Shougo: RENAAAAAAAAA! RENAAAAAAAAA!

That did get blown just A LOT out of proportion, but overall I loved the light-hearted feel out of it. And I know a lot of Balmung fans didn't like the way he was portrayed in LoT, but I actually thought he was pretty interesting. Much more of an intelligent, romantic rather than 'Ooh, I'm all big and bad because I'm Balmung of the Azure Sky RAWR.' <.<
Last edited by Tsurayu on Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

I watched .hack//Legend Of The Twilight Bracelet yesterday, and I have to say it totally didn't live up to the standard set by .hack//SIGN. Some too chibi characters (Shugo is especially annoying), juvenile humor (Shugo's reaction to any and all women), one-dimensional characters (like I-want-challenging-enemies Ouka and where-are-the-rare-items Mireille), cliché characters (like look-at-my-gravity-defying-eye-candy Ouka and helpless-damsel-in-distress Rena), and a plot with large holes barely patched with deus ex machina twists and exposition. Disappointing Image Only watch this for completeness, then ignore it.
I hope .hack//Roots is better.
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Roots is kinda "odd." It doesn't really feel like any of it makes sense unless you play the G.U. series afterwards to understand why anything and everything was happening.
Koren
Tomato Man

Post by Koren »

If you want just anime media experience:

.hack//SIGN, .hack//LIMINALITY, .hack//ROOTS - in that order. The Legend animated set is not canon to the story and they admit as much. If you want the canon side of Legend, you have to read the manga, not watch the anime. (for one thing, the anime butchered Kamui's character).

If you aren't playing the games to go with these though, or reading the few books we've gotten- you're missing a massive chunk of the story. So, in read/watch/play order....

Book - A.I. Buster 1
Anime - .hack//SIGN
OAV - Liminality 1
Game - .hack//Infection
OAV - Liminality 2
Game - .hack//mutation (EXTREMELY hard to find these days)
OAV - Liminality 3
Game - .hack//outbreak
Game - .hack//Quarantine
OAV - Liminality 4 (yes, gotta watch this one AFTER the game unlike the other three)
Book - AI Buster 2
Manga - .hack//Zero (only available in Japan sadly so that's an important chunk many fans miss if they don't poke around.)
Manga - Legend of the Twilight Bracelet (Canon - anime adaption is skippable and non-canon to the .hack story- the .hack team flat out said as much.)
Anime - .hack//Roots (If you miss this...there's a 6 month gap in the first game of the next set you totally miss and certain in-game character ties make little sense.)
Book - .hack//Cell (japan only sadly..gotta dig for info on it)
Manga - .hack//GnU (Japan only, and hard to find info on)
Manga - .hack//Alcor (see the above.)
Game - .hack//GU - Rebirth
Game - .hack//GU - Reminisce
Game - .hack//GU Redemption
Manga - .hack//Link (Same song and dance as the last few books and manga unless something's changed while I wasn't looking).

Does deserve to be noted that Roots' music was done by Ali Project, not Yuki Kajiura, unfortunately. It's not bad, but it lacks the techno-organic feel she created for the first full TV series and OAV set.
Last edited by Koren on Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.