SoM Randi (Costume Design Sketch)

Expanding the Mana Universe. For fans, by fans.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Lumineux
Werewolf

Post by Lumineux »

Sooo... in that other thread, I played with Luka's design drawn in a Dawn of Mana/Children of Mana style, with original intent to update Randi's design for a little backburner project Koren and I are playing with.

The art style isn't QUITE there yet, but I did manage to design Randi's outfit to my satisfaction, sword and all.

And now, I share it with the lot of you. ^.^

Last edited by Lumineux on Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I really like most of it, especially the hair.

I don't like his headband he's got going on, it should be more like a bandana, this one looks like it is made out of heavy rope or something.

Bracers and chaps are cool, the little shawl thingy he has on reminds me of Popoie because of the designs on it, but it is really neat.

Sword looks stunted.
Also maybe his legs do too, if his knees are where those marks are near that seam then his shins are super super super short.

Also his shoes need to be fancier XD
I always liked how the clay model of him had such out of place fancy looking shoes XD
(the fancy part is a joke, but I do think the shoes look a bit off, too boring compared to the rest? Weird shape)

That's just me being really picky, it's really a great picture.
Lumineux
Werewolf

Post by Lumineux »

Actually, I appreciate criticism that's as intelligent as you just offered, Sheexy. Much more so than the typical "wow, looks neat!" or "don't really like it" stuff that so often gets tossed about. So thank you~! ^.^

I'll probably tweak the shoes, because I honestly just kinda fudged them up real quick. They're even still in rough mode. I was aware I made the sword a tad too short, but er.. it was kinda too late to correct that problem, as the rest of the picture was all done.

His knees are actually higher than the stitching marks; they were just a random design element.

I went for the braided bandanna/rope since it seems to be a common motif in the DoM/CoM artwork. I might tweak it a little on the next try.

And the hair was way fun. XD I wanted to avoid shoving it ALL up into the bandanna like you see so many spiky haired heroes having.. so I tucked some of it underneath. I'm really happy with the end result there.

Still a project in progress, so I encourage other ideas and criticisms. ^.^ Also some suggestions for others in SoM and SD3 drawn in this fashion, because I intend to give them a try too.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Try to make Purim from SoM look cool.
She's seriously got the worst design of any character ever.
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Heya neighbor. Mind teaching me how you do that? XD
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Im curious...are you going for the CoM look or a DoM look?

From what I gather, the design leans more towards DoM, with the way the sword is designed. At the same time, the boots remind me too much of Duran from SD3.

Anyways, I have to agree with Sheexy. The headpiece should be more of a bandana than a thick rope around his head. I do love the "poncho" look though (yeah, the shawl reminds me of a poncho).
Lumineux
Werewolf

Post by Lumineux »

Tsurayu - Umm... draw regularly for about 14 years? Oh, and collect pictures and artbooks. A lot.

Duran - The eventual hope is a DoM look.. but right now he looks a little more CoM-ish to me. -_-; Blahhh.

Hehe, and it is indeed a poncho. Good call! The DoM-style Mana Sword exists for a reason beyond just design fancy...

Still, votes for the braided-bandanna to go away are stacking, so I guess I'll give it another shot. And then get cracking on other folks. XD
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Haha, and it shows.

I only recently started drawing again, so it's jsut a step above stick figures for me. XD
Lumineux
Werewolf

Post by Lumineux »

Well, I got bored at work and scratched out this 3 minute doodle on some random inspiration.

Behold, the bandanna is closer to its original design form, a braided-rope no more!

And Randi is so very, very sad. ^.^
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

That bandanna is a lot better yessssssssssss
also that's an awesome expression you've got going there, the face looks great
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

He looks a bit like Crono with that hairstyle.. Image
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I always thought they looked really similar.

When I was eight I would tell my friends that Chrono was the Japanese version of Randi XD
I had no idea Chrono Trigger was a game, or that America got the same games Japan made XD
Lumineux
Werewolf

Post by Lumineux »

Spiky-haired heroes were all the rage of the 90s. ;) What can we say, Randi is (was?) trendy. ^.^
Koren
Tomato Man

Post by Koren »

Poor Randi...looking all sad and forlorn at that mark...

...heheheheheh....

Ahem. Anyway; you already know I adore it; the second sketch is my favorite for sheer expression, though. ^.^
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Hey,

I really like that! Thanks for sharing.

Peace,

manaman