Seiken Densetsu d20 Collab Thread (Help Welcome!)

Expanding the Mana Universe. For fans, by fans.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

Let me know when you are finished with the project, I think what I'll do is put it all together in chapters and then one big package as well. This is because if the file is already big then you'll find that the PDF will be huge, especially after pictures. Does that sound like a good idea to you?
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Yeah! sounds good...

My biggest challenge will be adding game mechanics (which does what die-roll, etc...) Luckilly, I know a LOT of D&D experts to help me out on that.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Items are finished, Seeing as how Im a relatively new to the D&D scene, Im starting off small. I'll probably expand it later.
Hero of Spirits
Ma Goblin

Post by Hero of Spirits »

Duran wrote:My only problem right now are the game mechanics...
By game mechanics you mean weapon damage and other rules of the type? If you ask stuff here I know a fair bit about the D&D universe, I might be able to help you.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

So do I, but not much...I have a D&D Player's manual with practically all the combat rulings I need. My only problem would be weapon skills and spells.

I also need to work on a skill-point and leveling system...
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

Might I suggest trying to find a copy of BESM d20 edition, I founf the stingy version for a couple of bucks at a local store.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=8338&

It's $8 from RPG Now, if you can't do that I may be able to find a spare around for you. It is a point based system that is built out of the d20 system, very cool and anime ish which should fit well with Mana.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Im familiar with the BESM game, a friend of mine is DMing a campaign that Im in. I actually want to construct my own system, instead of ripping off another.

So far, I have rough idea of how I want to work the system, but its going to need a few kinks to work out.
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

If you wanted to make your own, wouldn't it be more logical to simply disassemble the engine they used in the Mana games and used that instead. Currently you are ripping off another games engine, using available tools is far from ripping off at this point :)
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Technically, thats what Im trying to do, per se...

Im hoping to use the class upgrade system from Sword of Mana, but since using the weapon/magic skill system in Secret of Mana would be too much of a hassle, I figured I'd try a different approach, by going with a point allocation system ala Dragon Quest 8.
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

Hmm, I think I get what you are doing. So you are thinking that the characters may freely multiclass and if the meet certain requirements they kinda automatically get inserted into a Prestige Class?
That may work out decently.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Thats about the size of it...

And instead of earning weapon skills by how often a weapon is used (ex. Secret of Mana, Legend of Mana, Sword of Mana), I figured that I could just have them allocate skill points after every level up like in Dragon Quest 8. Im sure it would work seeing as how you have to allocate points in D&D anyway...
Last edited by Duran on Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

Yeah, that should be feasible. So you would earn X Weapon Skill points each level, and those points can be allocated in any weapon you would like. Man, now you got me all interested in doing a D&D campaign again.

Mind If I take a look at what you have so far, maybe I can be useful, I've been playing D&D for some 10 years now, I have a lot of newer books, so yeah. If you don't mind, you can just email me.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Good luck on your mana D&D style mana game Duran, Lotus and who ever else is helping make this game! Tip for Duran: Try to mix fresh ideas with old mana classic events, monsters, places, candies and some people. Sort of like they did in SwoM. I once made a fan mana game (well sort of) by using some long lost application on my old computer. It was a mix between SoM, SD3 and SwoM as well as some other games not part of the mana series of games. My two favorite games of which I know by heart in the mana series. It was a Breath of Fire 1 style with a mix of Chrono trigger, ToP, SoM, SD3, SwoM, Fire Emblem, Final/Phantasy star as well as some other. It took a long time to make since I did it all by myself, but it was great. Except that it was way to slow and short. I lost it along with my old computer when it broke down. I hope that you have better luck then me! It's sad to work so hard then to lose it all like that. I hope that never happens to you like it did for me. Good luck, with all my blessings Duran!
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Lotus wrote:Yeah, that should be feasible. So you would earn X Weapon Skill points each level, and those points can be allocated in any weapon you would like. Man, now you got me all interested in doing a D&D campaign again.

Mind If I take a look at what you have so far, maybe I can be useful, I've been playing D&D for some 10 years now, I have a lot of newer books, so yeah. If you don't mind, you can just email me.
With the system I have in mind, when a player allocates enough skill points for a given weapon/element, they get to learn a new skill or spell.

Im probably going to do what a friend of mine did for his custom-made Final Fantasy Campaign and just skip feats altogether. I'll post up my current progress on my second post...

And Thanks for the moral support Danny! This project will require a LOT of work, but if you have any general ideas, feel free to post them here! ^.^
Last edited by Duran on Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Thanks Duran, I'll help you all that I can. I'm always a supporter of fan games. Did anyone notice how almost every mana game has Watts and Neko or in SwoM's case Nicco (some form of traveling salesman)? Those are some of the most used classic mana characters. As for monsters, the Rabite and Mushboom. Towns - Jad and Wendel Items - Candy, chocolate, starburst herb, puipui grass, angel's grail, etc. (the names differ in games) How is this Duran? I hope that it was at least some help to you. I'll post more things for you when I find more out.