Seiken Densetsu d20 Collab Thread (Help Welcome!)

Expanding the Mana Universe. For fans, by fans.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Well look on the first page...and on my second post to see how much I have done...

I might make a small section for NPCs...
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

BLARG!!!

I was almost done finishing the major cities, until I accidently deleted the file...thankfully I had the backup uploaded, though its going to set me back a little...
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

Did you not check your recycle bin?
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

It was already gone...

In my half-asleep state, I thought I was deleting 2 folders that were taking up space, but ended up deleting a good chunk of my work...
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

See that there, that's what I like to say Sucks the Big One.

I have no idea what it means, but that's what I say.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

It just means it really sucks...

Im going to try and start again tomorrow...
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Just thought I'd put up some ruling ideas I've been toying with:

(xx = number, d-- = dice type)

Defense Boosts:
Target suffers -xx% of total damage.

or

Temporarilly adds +x to armor class

Counter Magic/Agility Boost:
Defender may roll d20-Save to reflect/evade an attack/spell. If defending roll is higher, the spell is reflected back at the caster or attack is evaded.

Elemental Damage:
If target is of the opposing element of the attack or spell, target suffers +xx% more of total damage.

If target is of the same element of attack or spell, target will instead heal for half (or all) of the total amount inflicted.

Healing Magic:
Target heals xd-- + WIS of caster.

Offensive Magic:
Target suffers xd-- + INT of caster.

Magic Items:
Magic effects last for a fixed amount of time or deal xd-- of damage (do not count WIS or INT).
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

This is something for you to chew one. Magic Items (Coins, Statues, etc.) actually used the Users stats in the real game. Also Magic Damage in the real game was determined by multiplying together the damage and the INT/SPI of the user Meaning High level spells always did insane damage.

Defense Boost makes sense that it would reduce the damage by a percentage, however this is very hard to calculate in game, might I suggest reducing it by a number of dice, with the die removed being based on the Int or Wis modifier of the caster, so if a wizard casted Defense Up, and his Int were 16, you would reduce it by 3dX (d4 seems most likely)
Adding to the Armor Class works best as an Evasion style more than a resistance.

I'll add more later, I have to run to work.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Lotus wrote:This is something for you to chew one. Magic Items (Coins, Statues, etc.) actually used the Users stats in the real game. Also Magic Damage in the real game was determined by multiplying together the damage and the INT/SPI of the user Meaning High level spells always did insane damage.

Defense Boost makes sense that it would reduce the damage by a percentage, however this is very hard to calculate in game, might I suggest reducing it by a number of dice, with the die removed being based on the Int or Wis modifier of the caster, so if a wizard casted Defense Up, and his Int were 16, you would reduce it by 3dX (d4 seems most likely)
Adding to the Armor Class works best as an Evasion style more than a resistance.

I'll add more later, I have to run to work.
Keep in mind this is a d20 game so not EVERY element of the series will be added.

With the magic items, seeing as how its "artificial" spells, I figured a fixed amount would be better. Otherwise, there would be no real difference between a spell and a magic item, and could be abusable by mage characters. On top of that, I would also like non-mage characters to have a more diverse arsenal other than weapon skills against elemental enemies.

In the case of defense boosts, I would be better to either increase AC or to just have a fraction of the damage taken.

As for Magic defense, I would have to either make it an INT or WIS save against magic attacks and to use AGL for physical evasion.

I could also have players roll a d4 to see how many turns the spell's effect will last and have players roll a d20-saves before their turn for ailment recovery.
Last edited by Duran on Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

That's why I just said it was to chew on, this is your project, and I think it is great, I just wanted to say a few things that might give you some other ways to do things. I do know it is d20 and having played sine the day f launch (literally) have a very good understanding of the whole game, I just though I would provide some bits of feedback and maybe some ideas, which I'll continue to do so.

On the spell duration, is that just for Stat Boosts? I would say a d6 would be a good place to start, depending on how you make combat flow, it may be wiser to have stat boosts last longer, but then that also depends on the level of the spells, I would say the boost should last around 3/4's of the combat duration, that would be a little lower than the "feel" of the Mana games, but also be within balance of the d20 system.

Oh, BTW I do actually agree with you on the Magical Items thing, but I thought I would point it out in case you wanted to go for a more game feel for them.

Later,
Lotus
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

On the spell duration, is that just for Stat Boosts? I would say a d6 would be a good place to start, depending on how you make combat flow, it may be wiser to have stat boosts last longer, but then that also depends on the level of the spells, I would say the boost should last around 3/4's of the combat duration, that would be a little lower than the "feel" of the Mana games, but also be within balance of the d20 system.
I mean for both stat boosts and weapon enchantments. I might make the stat boosts a d4, and weapon enchantments a d6.

I could make it 3/4 of the battle's duration, but the duration is dependent on the players' actions, so some battles will be longer or shorter than others.
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

I meant the average battle duration during testing. Depending on how your monsters and character classes are designed you may have longer or shorter battles than in stard d20 D&D especially if you have high average AC's and HP's, so say your average battle lasts 6 turns, I would say a d6 would be a good choice, if it last an average of 8 rounds, I would say a 2d4, it all depends on how long your battles last on average.

Then again you could just stick a d4 in there and play it a few times, if it seems too weak, then up it. That could potentially save yourself some time, assuming you can find someone to help you try it, doing it on your lonesome is rather boring.
Last edited by Lotus on Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Did you mean drawings when you said astists welcome Duran? I've got three of my manga character that I want to post, but I'm having some problems doing that so Sheexy agreed to post them for me after I send it to him though email. I don't know what it will look like sice my scanner isn't that good. I'll also write about them after Sheexy posts them. Will it be my topic or his, I don't know yet, but I'll keep you posted if you want me to on that topic.
There will be a new topic most likely.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Lotus wrote:I meant the average battle duration during testing. Depending on how your monsters and character classes are designed you may have longer or shorter battles than in stard d20 D&D especially if you have high average AC's and HP's, so say your average battle lasts 6 turns, I would say a d6 would be a good choice, if it last an average of 8 rounds, I would say a 2d4, it all depends on how long your battles last on average.

Then again you could just stick a d4 in there and play it a few times, if it seems too weak, then up it. That could potentially save yourself some time, assuming you can find someone to help you try it, doing it on your lonesome is rather boring.
Depending on the final outcome of the game, I might use it or not...Im still not exactly sure. I know in D&D Standard, enchantments last 1"hour"+(Level), so I don't plan on axactly using that.

So far, with the Campaign I have planned, I might just have players roll a d6 or d4 for enchantments and such.

Did you mean drawings when you said astists welcome Duran? I've got three of my manga character that I want to post, but I'm having some problems doing that so Sheexy agreed to post them for me after I send it to him though email. I don't know what it will look like sice my scanner isn't that good. I'll also write about them after Sheexy posts them. Will it be my topic or his, I don't know yet, but I'll keep you posted if you want me to on that topic.
There will be a new topic most likely.
Well I posted up the "Artists Welcome" part, because, while its not a requirement of mine, it would be nice to get as much of the community involved as possible, since I know Seikens has a rather large share of artists.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I'm game for the artist part.
I won't be able to do too incredibly much due to the fact that I'm over-exerting myself all over Seikens, but I'd love to be a part of this!

Mostly I can do cartoony stuff like I did on the 404 page http://www.seikens.com/thisisfake, but I think that cartoony style might kinda fit some of the older (FFA through SD3) Seiken Densetsu art styles.

Just gimme some requests and I'll take a swing at it!