Okay, so do I just suck at CoM?

Mana not on your side? Ask here and we'll help out!

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

ManaNeko
Rabite

Post by ManaNeko »

I've often heard people list "TOO EASY Oh My Gosh!" as one of CoM's major flaws but... I have to admit I'm actually really struggling with it. T_T

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if I just plain suck at it, but I find it extremely frustrating. I'm playing as Ferrik, at the Path of Life at around Level 40, using the Bow and Flail primarily. I'm better with them because with the sword I have to get too close to the enemies and then they all gang up on me and pound me, and the Hammer is just too slow.

I'm having a hard time getting through each zone without ending up incredibly frustrated! The number of monsters and all their attacks just gets way too overwhelming at times, and they regenerate too quickly and too close to where I am for me to really get a chance to kill them without getting bombarded by a million other attacks. This is very annoying, and makes levelling up really hard.

Does anyone have any tricks/gem combinations/suggestions that might make this game easier...? I really want to beat it but I can barely survive in the Ruins, let alone the Path of Life. :[

Also, how do you get Wisp's spell to cure more than 30 HP? I have Wisp's Favour equipped and it hasn't changed.
Last edited by ManaNeko on Thu May 08, 2008 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Well,

Stating the obvious, but have you equipped lots of helpful items and made use of the frame?

Peace,

manaman

EDIT: You know what? Ignore what I just said. After reading your post in full, I realized what a loser I am! :D I'm tired and procrastinating. Blah.
Last edited by manaman on Thu May 08, 2008 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

I've had the same problem. Sometimes it feels more like a matter of luck and trying to keep yourself separated from a large group of enemies as to not get yourself surrounded, and of course take care of the simple stuff such as making sure you always have enough Round Drops and Pakkun Chocolates as well as keeping your equipment updated.

And as for Luna's spell I'm not really sure. I went through the game without ever really using spells. They weren't particularly useful or easy to use for that matter.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

I personally like Undine. . . .

I'm going now. I really am.
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Oh and if you aren't, make sure to save up enough money to buy the upgraded packs or whatever they call them (can't remember) so you can carry more of each item. Very nifty to have in the later dungeons to carry more healing items.
ManaNeko
Rabite

Post by ManaNeko »

I have the fully upgraded pack and the best equipment (I think) I can get for this level.

I hope I've made good use of the Gem Frame... I currenly have Soul of the Dragon (ATK+12), Triple Shot (Fire three arrows with bow), Multiple Rotations (3 Swings with Sickle), Heart of Progress (50% more EXP), and Lore of Healers (Doubles effects of Drops/Choclates).

I've never tried any other spirits, to be honest! I've always stuck with Wisp because of her healing.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Do a few more sidequests, make sure you're up to date on the Benevodon ones, and try getting to level 50 (55 is my rec, but that's with Tumble rather than Flick, so he should be able to manage happily with less). Makes things much easier.

I also would recommend switching to Sword, getting a Sword Expertise gem in there, and you'll see a huge difference in attacking power compared to your current set-up. Also if you follow this idea, do as many Topple sub-quests as you can so you stand a chance in getting Sigmund (though not being able to equip it until level 62 will be a slight hindrance).

If you prefer to stay with Bow and Chain though, get the Expertise gem for whichever is your favourite.

Oh, and when you're doing sub-quests, maybe consider switching to chucking a Berserker and an extra Heart of Progress in, since doing sub-quests shouldn't prove too tasking, and this will help you level quicker.
IrishLuiz
Wizard Eye

Post by IrishLuiz »

here's the problem: CoM is ENTIRELY made of frustrations hehe.

i'm still pissed with square for making such a crap mana game for ds -_-
ManaNeko
Rabite

Post by ManaNeko »

Kassidy wrote:Do a few more sidequests, make sure you're up to date on the Benevodon ones, and try getting to level 50 (55 is my rec, but that's with Tumble rather than Flick, so he should be able to manage happily with less). Makes things much easier.

I also would recommend switching to Sword, getting a Sword Expertise gem in there, and you'll see a huge difference in attacking power compared to your current set-up. Also if you follow this idea, do as many Topple sub-quests as you can so you stand a chance in getting Sigmund (though not being able to equip it until level 62 will be a slight hindrance).

If you prefer to stay with Bow and Chain though, get the Expertise gem for whichever is your favourite.

Oh, and when you're doing sub-quests, maybe consider switching to chucking a Berserker and an extra Heart of Progress in, since doing sub-quests shouldn't prove too tasking, and this will help you level quicker.
Ah... That's a big help. :D Thanks! A few questions though - where do you get the Exepertise gems? I'm fairly certain I've seen them around as rewards for Dudbear Quests but I haven't seen any as of late. And also, what do you get out of doing the Benevodon subquests?

Thanks again. :-D
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

ManaNeko wrote:Ah... That's a big help. :D Thanks! A few questions though - where do you get the Exepertise gems? I'm fairly certain I've seen them around as rewards for Dudbear Quests but I haven't seen any as of late.
21. Sword Expertise - Sword ATK + 8. Double damage. Third strike unleashes
shock waves. 2x1 - Fusion (12000L, Sonic Wave + Mighty Defense)
22. Flail Expertise - Flail ATK +8. Enables up to three flail swings. 2x1
Fusion (12000L, Multiple Swings + Steal Hook)
23. Bow Expertise - Bow ATK +8. Fire penetrating arrows in three directions.
2x1 - Fusion (12000L, Triple Shot + String Resonance)
24. Hammer Expertise - Hammer ATK +8. Quickens hammer recovery. Knock enemies
back. 2x1 - Fusion (12000L, Heavy Swing + Great Tremor)
ManaNeko wrote:And also, what do you get out of doing the Benevodon subquests?
To access the benevodons sidequests, you must equip one of the elemental spirits and then Chat to one of their instances in the town (ie. equip Salamando then talk to the Salamando spirit in Moti's house next to the fireplace). They will give you the sidequest and details. After completing all the sidequests, you will be able to access a final area, after you have completed the game, by touching the Mana Stone in the town. This mission takes
place in the Cosmic Rift. The reward at the end of this quest is Mystic Blessing - Restores 6 HP and 6 MP every 3 seconds.

Full details at: http://www.seikens.com/children-of-mana-subquests.html
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Just grind a few levels in side quest and take another crack at it.
ManaNeko
Rabite

Post by ManaNeko »

Thanks! I've switched up my Gem frame and it's made levelling a lot easier. I'm level 48 now, but I haven't tried to go through the Path of Life yet. Still gonna level up a bit more.

Thanks for all the help, again.