The Kusudama Origami

Show off your mad skills and exchange creative tips.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

IrishLuiz
Wizard Eye

Post by IrishLuiz »

Hey y all.

Well, does anyone here likes origami?? I'm crazy about it, and have always been since childhood.

Last week i decided to make a Kusudama as a gift to my mom. Kusudamas are like japanese amulets, very popular and with countless designs. I made one called "Bloom", that uses 24 pieces of paper. My next plan is a Tradicional one, that is made of 60 pieces of paper, put together in many Sakura flowers. I just love making these things o/

Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Very pretty Image

What kind of paper is that? It looks much thicker than the paper my sister used to use for origami.
ryoko126
Dark Knight

Post by ryoko126 »

*squeels* I want that!!!! It's so cute!
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Oh my goodness!

That is SO AWESOME! Thanks for sharing. You should totally sell your work. I bet you could have a booth at a local crafts fair and get lots of people interested.

Keep it up,

manaman
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Oh wow, that is really awesome. ^_^
IrishLuiz
Wizard Eye

Post by IrishLuiz »

oh thx guys!!!! if graphic designer career gets me fed up and i give up on yoga teching, i'll consider a new career ^_^

Actually it is a different paper than the ones normally used for origamis. I'm sorry but i have no idea on what's the name of the paper in english hehe, but it's a paper that is definitly not good for origamis... it's too thick and hard to fold, but i used it anyway since its easy to find and cheap (origami papers can be found in the japanese neighborhood, but they are really pricey).
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Maybe some ordinary folding paper from the non-Japanese craftshop would suffice then?

Is the paper you used from Japan by chance? I've heard they use some special kind of fiber there that makes really heavy and strong paper.
ryoko126
Dark Knight

Post by ryoko126 »

I remember in third grade I learned to make an origami rose, but I completely forgot how I did it. XD, but that's such beautiful work.
IrishLuiz
Wizard Eye

Post by IrishLuiz »

Kimiko wrote:Maybe some ordinary folding paper from the non-Japanese craftshop would suffice then?

Is the paper you used from Japan by chance? I've heard they use some special kind of fiber there that makes really heavy and strong paper.
Oh it definitly would suffice. This Kusudama has a very simple folding process actually, so the crapy paper doesnt ruin things a lot.

No japanese paper. It's a very cheap coloured paper that can be found everywhere in here. It's mostly used for children's home works and stuff.

I'd love to make one with cool, colorful japanese paper, but they are really expensive.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Hey IrishLuiz,

I believe you're referring to "construction paper." Perhaps?

Peace,

manaman