[SoM] - What did you name your characters?

Mana not on your side? Ask here and we'll help out!

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

I got this idea to start a topic about this by rrfish. Blame him if you want to :P

To the topic, what did you name your characters first time you played this game? Was it just Boy for the hero and Girl for the girl? or did you have some creative names?
Mine arent that great. For the hero I named him Mike. The girl got Jane and sprite got.... Sprite
Yup thats my party: Mike, Jane and Sprite. That was 1993 or 1994. more than 10 years ago
rrfish
Kimono Bird

Post by rrfish »

The first time I played I named the Hero; Mike (and he has been named Mike every time I've played), the Girl; Andrea (and her name has been Purim ever since), and sprite; Sprite (and he has been Sprite everytime). So Mike, Andrea, and Sprite.
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

Sokka, Toph, and Momo, well this is most recent. You can thank the wonderful world of Avatar.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

I tend to use the original names, although I have one game where I think the names are Simon, Lina and Danfil.
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

For the boy, the names I've used over the years have almost always been different. Originally I just used Jeff, following what little I could actually see of the screenshots in the old paperback guidebook - being a little kid, I figured that had to be the character's real name, that they had opted to leave out of the game to let you choose your own. You can imagine I was quite surprised once I hopped online and discovered everyone was calling him Randi. Later on, I opted for Joe, Smith, and other pretty common names... the height of my originality.
Eventually I just gave up and started using the name of a character I used to play in D&D, which I had to shorten to Jynth so it would fit. The other two have had a more simplistic history of names...
I forget what I originally named the girl, but the sprite's original name was Joey, after one of my friends from back in the day, and that kind of stuck for awhile, until another one of my friends jumped into the game and replaced it with his name. The sprite's name has been Spazz at least once, and this was due to me having done the previous playthrough using magic only, in which I focused on spamming the menu so I could cast it repeatedly. The most recent name I've used for the girl was Rabbit, on the suggestion of some random girl I asked at my old job, when compiling a list of names I might be able to use in something else I was doing at the time.

For something slightly unrelated, I was surprised when I learned that the main character's name in Heroes of Mana is gonna be Roger. Having him share that name with my dad is just weird.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

The J Person wrote:For the boy, the names I've used over the years have almost always been different. Originally I just used Jeff, following what little I could actually see of the screenshots in the old paperback guidebook
Seriously? It had that name in the guidebook?

What a coincidence, I named the guy in SoM "Jeff" my first time I played it (Ok, so I named him Jeef on accident because I was six... my aunt got me to restart it and fix the name though.)
I always liked the name Jeff. For the girl I wanted to use "Allison," but it wouldn't fit or something, so I used "Ali." And for the sprite I used "Quin" again I mispelled the name, it should have had two 'n's but I was little and I didn't want to start over again.

I've always used those names for SoM since then.

In FFA I used "Jeff" and "Ali" as well, but as the games have been coming out lately I just use the defaults. I used "Jeff" in LoM until my sister deleted my file, and I've since moved on to "Sheexy" for that game.
Sene
Mushboom

Post by Sene »

I always name the hero Sene... it's my nickname. The two others vary, when I was younger I named them after friends of me, who played with me. The last time I played I called the girl Aldria and the sprite Norin.
Danny

Post by Danny »

I named the hero Trunks, the girl rancy and the sprite Yamcha. All from Dbz. ^_^ I also named the hero Kyuzo (after the seven samurai), the girl marle (from chrono triggers) and the sprite Klarth (from tales of phantasia) the second time that I played SoM. Pretty cool!
Noblewine
Iffish

Post by Noblewine »

When I started playing SoM I named the Hero Steven because that's my real name. I tend to do that a lot or use Kite from .Hack//. As for the the Heroine I named her Aria from Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Man,

It's hard to remember what my original names were. I wonder if I even kept one of the original files on my game or if I saved over them all. I think it was Brian, Lori and Lisa for the Boy, Sprite and Girl respectively. I had always thought of the Sprite as female until I got later in the game. The next run through was Brian, Gary and Aubrey, I think (perhaps Aubrey was different because of character limits--Erin, maybe?). I think the Sprite may have been called Joey at one point, as well. I forget if I ever used any different names until my more recent runs through where the names are Brian, Aidan and Emily.

Anyway, FFA is Brin and Emly; SD3 is Brian, Emily and Carlie; LoM is Brian and Emily; SwoM is Brian and Emily and the first game to not allow personalized names is DoM so poor little Keldric is not Brian. :)

Peace,

manaman

Edit: Corrected the spelling for Aidan (I accidentally spelled it Aiden).
Last edited by manaman on Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

Post by Danny »

The last time I played SoM which has pretty recent, I named the hero Recca (from Flames of Recca), the girl still Rancy and the spirte Kalsu. I found vaious names for the characters in SoM, SD3 and SwoM that I keep using now since I like them the most.
Anon
Kimono Bird

Post by Anon »

Changes from year to year.

First time I played SoM...

It was Luke for the Boy, because I was a huge starwars fan

Flik for the sprite, because...well...it sounded cool.

And I named the girl...Nl...because....I was tired.
Marini
Zombie

Post by Marini »

I've always named my SOM characters the same names --

The boy -- Jason (I can blame MMPR for that ^-^;)
The girl -- I can't remember at the moment -- it's been awhile but think I named her Diana
The Sprite -- Damian
Quemaqua
Silktail

Post by Quemaqua »

Trojan (boy), Diphba (girl), Domaco (sprite). My friend actually came up with those, but I liked them and kept using them for years before I knew the people actually had official names. My wife calls the sprite Nimbo. My originals I've since forgotten, but most likely the first two were Quem and Quessa.
Dusk Requiem
Mushboom

Post by Dusk Requiem »

Hehe- I can remember my dad naming the first characters when we first got it-
Boy- Tom, after myself.
Girl- Amy, after some girl I knew.
Sprite- Becky, after some other girl I knew.
Yeah, Sprite's gender is supposedly questionable, but other variations I used is Joe, and finally the most unoriginal and frequent- Sprite, which appears to be a popular name for him.