With the Remakes and the new World of Mana Project...

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Danny

Post by Danny »

It would be hard to make a remix of these great games with all the editing that would be done. And hey, how would not want to be locked in with Angela in Jad, heh, heh, heh...
Major Tom
Mushboom

Post by Major Tom »

From the looks of it, Heroes of Mana has SOMETHING to do with SD3...if Heroes kicks off well in America, we may yet see some sort of X-Box live or Wii downloadable SD3 come here. Technically speaking, Neil Corlett and SoM2 Freak's translation could be 'stolen' by Square and then they just have that put onto a rom downloadable for the Wii or X-Box Live...or even a GBA cartridge. Since the game is Square's to begin with, they can easily confiscate the fan-translation, and maybe touch up a few things SoM2 Freak, Lina'chan and Nuku-Nuku got wrong (if they did get anything wrong).

The official translation as I recall was about...70% complete all ready? So they would just keep that on file more than likely...they can pull it out, go over it, finish it up, place the English translation into one of the previous mentioned methods to get an American SD3 and voila.

Another possibility could be them including SD3 along with Heroes of Mana. I doubt it will happen, but it'd make a way better pre-order gift than a Rabite plushie...

In regards to Secret of Mana coming here...I'm not too sure about this information, but rumor has it that Square said depending on the fans will determine if they will remake Secret or port it. After all, that poll they used before to determine which game their fans wanted remade the most is how we got FIII DS. Secret of Mana, remade and placed into the format it was intended to be in on DS...that would be something. If you believe the Mana games are connected (which I personally do), then a remake of Secret of Mana would be nice to help tie in the games.

Edit: My apologises guys, Square's official translation of SD3 was at 60% before they decided to not bring it here. My bad.
Last edited by Major Tom on Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Major Tom wrote:The official translation as I recall was about...70% complete all ready? So they would just keep that on file more than likely...they can pull it out, go over it, finish it up, place the English translation into one of the previous mentioned methods to get an American SD3 and voila.
maybe you missed it, but SD3 translation is complete, not 70%. or else they wouldnt put 1 before the dot (1.01)

and they wont release sd3 on the virtual console, not to the american and european version of virtual console. Nintendo has stated before that VC will only have games that are released in that region, meaning that Chrono Trigger wont be in VC in Europe but in America and Japan
Major Tom
Mushboom

Post by Major Tom »

I was reffering to Square translating SD3 back before they decided not to release it stateside, not the fan-translation. Sorry for the confusion.

I didn't know that about the VC though. Well thats too bad that Nintendo is doing that. Regardless, a release on GBA or X-Box Live is still plausible (unless I missed something else?)
Last edited by Major Tom on Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

Post by Danny »

The fan-translation of SD3 is still pretty good. None the less, it would still be good to see a remake of all the mana games for wii or xbox. I'm not sure if a lot of know about the mana games though... With all these new games coming out, I don't really think that a lot of people will go after the classic mana games. It still looks good on the super nitendo, right?
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

If Square were to do a re-release of Seiken Densetsu 2 and 3, trust me, fans would definitely go for it, hands down. I feel that part of the reason people still buy in to the Mana series is in the hope of the new games living up to those predecessors' standards. I say this based on what we talk about here, and also what is said on the GameFAQs boards (I have seen countless threads with people asking if this game is anything like SD2 or 3).

Admittedly, it does indeed still look good on the SNES, however both games were limited by the hardware of the console (hence 40% content removal from SoM to adapt it to SNES, and the limitation to 3 enemies on screen at one time because the hardware couldn't handle more using that engine), so if adapted to a new age console I would hold on to the hope that some of that original content, the original vision of how far the engine could be stretched, and how good the game could really be under that development team and the addition of new-age technology and people who are up to speed with what we have on offer nowadays, would be realised and lift the bar of gaming to a whole new level in the same way that the games did when they were originally released. Maybe not on the graphical front, but on the way the game acts as a whole they would still accomplish a considerable push when it comes to raising the bar.

In summary, believe me, if they re-released the games, they would sell like hot-cakes!
Major Tom
Mushboom

Post by Major Tom »

I agree. Practically everyone, second gen, third gen, and fourth gen gamers alike all know of the Mana titles. They've at least HEARD of them in some form or another. And wth the internet's massive sharing of information, its only a matter of time before newer gamers find out about Mana. If not through ads or google or something, through fans like us ranting about the titles (guilty here).

Although here's a question: If SoM was originally being designed for the Satella-view...would it REALLY have been all that much better? Its not like games like Radical Dreamers were anything as breath-taking as the Sega-CD, or the Saturn. Or even the Playstation. But it perhaps the game would have been able to handle more enemies on screen, had more side-quests etc. I dunno though, I still wonder...
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Cartridge capacity was a great hinderance, so a lot of the graphical detail and the content had to be compromised. Which is suprirsing when you consider that the graphical detail was quite something for the time, however you just have to look at how much the scenary repeats itself, and how small some of the towns are. Kippo Village never struck me as being terribly useful, so maybe it had a part to play in the previous incarnation. Also, the length of the time between finding elemental spirits once one got past Shade was far too short, so I think quite a lot of material was cut out from there because of storage capacity.
rrfish
Kimono Bird

Post by rrfish »

Kassidy wrote:...I feel that part of the reason people still buy in to the Mana series is in the hope of the new games living up to those predecessors' standards...
I can't speak for everyone, but that is the reason I still buy into the Mana series. I keep waiting for something that will live up to SoM. So far...not even close. Don't get me wrong I have enjoyed LoM, CoM, and SwoM, but they are no where near as epic as SoM. The story of SoM was full of life and vibrancy. It left me (as well as others I have met) captivated and involved in the lives of the characters. There is an essence of timelessness. I don't feel that with the other games (though as I progress through SD3 it is getting close).

I would purchase a remake OR a direct port of the game in hand held form, be it GBA or DS. To be honest with you the biggest reason I am going to purchase a Wii system is in hopes that SoM will be available for the Virtual Console. (Though Chrono Trigger would be freakin' sweet as well!)

But the real reason I am still sticking around with the Seiken Densetsu series is that I am waiting for another epic involving tale that will captivate me; that will make me care about the characters; one that will live up to its predecessors.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Hmm, I guess that I would also have to agree with you guys. I hope that the mana games will be released and also remade for the new systems. I just hope that they won't mess it up!
Major Tom
Mushboom

Post by Major Tom »

rrfish wrote:I am going to purchase a Wii system is in hopes that SoM will be available for the Virtual Console. (Though Chrono Trigger would be freakin' sweet as well!)
I'm sure it will be. I mean, it was a very popular title during the nineties and it did come here. I don't see why it wouldn't be availible, espicially with Square doing this whole big WoM project.
Danny

Post by Danny »

I guess you're right. Well then, I guess we'll just have to wait for the day when they are re-released.
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

I can see a very justifiable reason for them to not put SD3 on the VC - they don't stand to make money off of it if they do things that way. But that means it's also very justifiable for them to officially release it stateside.

I would like to hope that Square moves back to Nintendo, at least for the Mana series. That's where it started, and it's the most affordable system for their target audience(s) anyway.

I still think using Kevin in a game like Smash Bros would be awesome.

Sandwiches beckon.
Major Tom
Mushboom

Post by Major Tom »

The J Person wrote:I can see a very justifiable reason for them to not put SD3 on the VC - they don't stand to make money off of it if they do things that way. But that means it's also very justifiable for them to officially release it stateside.

I would like to hope that Square moves back to Nintendo, at least for the Mana series. That's where it started, and it's the most affordable system for their target audience(s) anyway.

I still think using Kevin in a game like Smash Bros would be awesome.

Sandwiches beckon.
If you notice Square's recent patterns with the Next Gen consoles, it would appear they are supporting all three. So I'd expect to see some interesting stuff for WoM appear on the Wii, and maybe even the PS3 or 360.