I need an enemy name that's not in the Beastiary.

Mana not on your side? Ask here and we'll help out!

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Joe123
Rabite

Post by Joe123 »

First of all, hello!

I'm from the Zelda Classic community (don't know if you know it, it's basically a Zelda fan-game program, allowing you to build your own Zelda-eque games), and I've been making a Final Fantasy Adventure tileset for our program for quite a while now.
It started off in black and white, and then progressed to colour, and now I'm revamping it with some scripting and such.

I've been re-naming and editing the Zelda enemies to be more like the FFA ones, which is going quite well thanks to your Beastiary!
It's been a great help.

I've hit a little snag though; I can't seem to find the name of
this enemy in the beastiary anywhere.

I also can't remember what it actually does either, seeing as I haven't played FFA in quite some time.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Glad the bestiary is helping you out. It's my pride and joy. :-D
And a real pain in my side to update. XD

Anyways, the reason that baddie isn't in the Bestiary is because he doesn't actually appear in the game. He doesn't have an entry in the official guidebook either, so you won't find his drawing here: http://www.seikens.com/gallery/final-fa ... /monsters/

Well, ok, he is IN the game, but only in data, he never actually makes an appearance. There are a few enemies in FFA that have sprites on the cartridge but that don't actually appear in the game: that little worm guy, a weird chicken looking thing, big spikey fish, crawler and unicorn head... there may be more, I haven't looked at that sprite sheet in a while.

There aren't any enemies like him in the other games in the series, so your guess to his name is as good as any of ours. Looks like he would pop up and then go back under the ground and try to bite at where you were or something.

He kind of reminds me of the boss Ankheg, so maybe he'd have a name similar to his.

If you're really searching to get the correct name for him I'd check out lists of D&D or Final Fantasy baddies, there is probably something just like him somewhere.

EDIT:
These are the unused bad guy sprites.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

My first reaction was to think it was Marcie, but I checked the sprite again and realised my mistake. He's kinda like a cyclops golem of sorts... Also reminds me a BIT of the soldiers in SwoM.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Looks like a cyclops worm with big fangs and armored skin to me.
He's like, poking out of the ground.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Erk, you're right. I was picturing the mandibles as if they were arms.
Joe123
Rabite

Post by Joe123 »

Ah ok, thanks!

I didn't realise it wasn't in the game.
I knew the Crawler, Chess Knight and Spikey Fish thingy weren't, but I wasn't aware that the little chicken thing and the urm....

...well, whatever-it-is weren't in it.

I just ripped all of the enemy sprites from a sprite-sheet somewhere you see; and it was a year or more ago now.

That boss, Ankheg, isn't that called 'Superpede' in-game?
It's the one you fight with Watts, right?

I'm sure it was called Superpede =S

Anyway, Ankheg is a good enough name for it in my opinion.
And it can warp around the screen, shooting out the claws to grab onto the player and send him back to the beginning of the dungeon...

...because that's what I had it doing before I was able to edit the enemies' behaviours =P

EDIT:
Oh, do you have a suggestion for the name for the little chicken-thingy that's not actually in the game aswell?
I'm not good with names, and the only other game from the series I've played is Secret of Mana I think.
I didn't get all that far with it either >_<
Last edited by Joe123 on Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Yeah, that baddie is Superpede in the English version, but I always thought that sounded so stupid XD
The Japanese name for him is Ankheg, and he's named and styled after a Dungeons and Dragons' monster.

That's a cool function you've got for the guy, reminds me of wallmasters but meaner.

As for the chicken guy, you could pretend he's a Cocatrice:
ImageImage
The little sprite never turns around, so who knows, maybe there was a snake tail behind him. XD
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Maybe the little chicken is an Eggatrice?

And the mandibles poking out of the ground reminds me of the sand spiders in SoM (is that what they were called?).
Joe123
Rabite

Post by Joe123 »

Ahhh, gotcha.
Superpede does sound a bit lame.

I think it was meant to be like a wallmaster yeah.
Fits quite well with that sprite.
It's a type of wizzrobe though; warps around the room.

Ah, Cocatrice.
Thanks.

Heh, quite a few of the sprites don't turn round.
The Bulette looks awful >_<
gamekrazzy
Iffish

Post by gamekrazzy »

Cocatrice?
I have another idea, maybe it's one of those blue owls...?

And those pincers make me think of the sand spiders too.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Necropost. Closing this thread.