A DVD Region Question.

Multimedia discussion fun for all!

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

ryoko126
Dark Knight

Post by ryoko126 »

Ok. I'm sure you've all heard about it, but the movie L: Change the World is out. The Hong Kong version of it has english and chinese subtitles, so we don't have to wait for fansubbers... Not that I could find them anyway, but here's a question. Can North American dvd players play chinese dvd's? If not, can they play on computers? I own a Windows XP Home Edition. But if you could tell me, I'd really like to know before I end up buying it.

Also the trailer to it looks so awsome!

Last edited by ryoko126 on Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Well China is region 6, US is region 1. If you have a standard old player, chances are you won't be able to play it. On the PC you can switch regions 3 times then it locks it, but there is software to allow you to play any region DVDs (such as http://www.dvd-x-player.com/).
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

On the other hand, if you buy from Hong Kong or China there is a high chance that its region 0, which region free.

VLC is region free player for all platforms. So you can still watch if its region 6 on your region 1 computer
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Ah, I forgot about VLC.

*writes mental note: "Don't reply to threads before cup of tea."*
ryoko126
Dark Knight

Post by ryoko126 »

Then I shall watch it with VLC!
Ailise
Site Admin

Post by Ailise »

also most DVD players are unlockable for regions.
it is usually easy to do it, like open the dvd tray, type 4 nr code on the remote and change to region free.
No software install or anything like that. (it's not illegal either, as it's a functions built-in to the dvd-players (but of course you need to know the secret code ;) ))

http://www.videohelp.com/
have a section with massive numbers of known dvd players and their codes. Sometimes they don't have your exact dvd player "name", but usually other similar "names" works well... as long as it is the same brand or so.

Also there is no way to break your player. If the code don't work, nothing will happen.