A Confession...

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

rrfish
Kimono Bird

Post by rrfish »

I have never played SD3 before. Yep, I'm an SD3 virgin. So...

I have the Rom and I finally decided to start it up...and...THIS GAME ROCKS! I've only been playing for 30 minutes and I am already drawn into the story. (I'm playing as Hawk at the moment.) And seeing some familar faces from FFA/SwoM is a plus. I can't for the life of me figure out why I waited so long. :P
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I couldn't play through the ROM, I can't stand doing console stuff on a computer.
One of my friends got me the cartridge for my birthday, and it was indeed awesome.
I played through all the way (Not knowing what I was doing or what was going on at all) and it was really fun.
The only things I didn't like about the game was the lack of three player support, and the weapon your character could use was limited. Using millions of different weapons is an integral part of the SD series in my opinion!

The graphics for the game are beautiful no? I mean, they're still using that stuff on the new stuff they release.

I love the way Hiroki Kikuta worked in some of the SoM music into the game, but remixed like. Awesome.
I really wish they'd get that guy back.

Anyways, now that I am in Japanese I plan to play it through again and be able to read it.

Also, a hearty hip-hip-hooray! to Magus_Melchoir for that awesome script he made, thanks to him I figured out what was going on. (He made the script with the characters I used! Thanks man!)
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

I played through it on the computer, but I plan to do so again on console, though not the SNES. Guy at the pub a hile back gave (for free) an Xbox, and I modded it just so I can play old console games on them. The latest SNES emu does a REALLY good job, so I can play SD3 on a console and it runs like a dream. The other good thing is I was able to transfer my old savegames on to it too.

And yeah, they DO need to bring back Kikuta-san. His music eally made the SD series what it is.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

While I didn't have a console, to play SD3, I did the next best thing: I took my laptop and hooked it up to my TV. Since, I had USB controllers, it was like playing on a console system, without the console.

As for Kikuta-san, he left Square-Enix for good to persue his own business, kinda like what Uematsu-san did.
Last edited by Duran on Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
rrfish
Kimono Bird

Post by rrfish »

I need to purchase a console-like controller for my computer. After a while my wrist begin to kill me utilizing keyboard controls.

What I do like about playing the older console games via my computer is the ability to take screenshots. It allows for many opportunities, like the SoM blog I am working on right now(btw update coming this weekend for the blog).

I would love to get a modded console, but they are so damn expensive. A modded gamecube would be ideal so that I could emulate older console system. However I have been so out of the loop on that scene that I don't know how I'd even begin to try and Mod my gamecube.

But back on track the graphics of SD3 are gorgeous and the music by Hiroki Kikuta is brilliant, but then again would you expect anything less?
Last edited by rrfish on Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

Xbox 360 controllers work like a dream. You can download the drivers from M$'s website.

I can also teach you how to soft mod a Gamecube if you really want to know. Just PM me and I'll get you the details. But you are better off modding an Xbox, Gamecubes just aren't good for modding.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Duran wrote:Since, I had USB controllers, it was like playing on a console system, without the console.
Yeah, I bought a USB controller for the sole purpose of playing SD3 on my computer, but it still didn't feel the same as the real thing to me. The sounds seem a bit off. I remember messing with SoM on a ROM and the sounds were terrible, nothing like the real thing, I dunno why though, maybe it's like that with all ROMs? I haven't tried enough to know.

Anyways, I've tried doing LoM through a PS emulator, but I can't get the framerate just right... so stuff goes weird, I dunno, I should keep messing with it.
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

I have played a lot of ROMs, so it's not a huge exaggeration to say that the emulators need to be tweaked a little before each game.

The sound being off is merely a matter of the horribly over-adjustable settings most emulators provide. If you're using a copy of Snes9x to run it, SD3 needs to be run at about 44KHz or so (in my estimation) and SoM should run at 22Khz. SoM should also have some kind of anti-resonance enabled, as well as the Sync-sound setting turned on, but SD3 doesn't seem to need either of them.

With SD3, I've only ever played it as a ROM, since I have no working copy of the game available to me in any other form. Zsnes doesn't seem to need any of those options fiddled with too badly, but for SoM specifically, I often find myself having to change it before I start it up, if I've been playing something else, or it will hurt my SoM-tuned ears.

I dunno where you got a PS1 emulator, but I wish I had one...
I've got my compy at home hooked up to my TV as a second screen, so mostly I just drag the window over onto it, if I have glare on this monitor. It's not so bad, but I have to keep switching out the video cable, since all my game systems use the same thing (okay, so I'm too cheap to buy a HD screen so I can plug in the cord without an adapter, but really, who can afford those things?).

Just on an aside, since we were talking about emulation, I really need to get a Saturn emulator... I was looking forward to playing NiGHTS without having to worry about a buggy memory slug... I mean, card.
Last edited by The J Person on Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

There are Saturn Emulators. And fully functional PS1 emulators (at least as far as LoM is concerned)
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Yep, got me a PS1 emulator too so I could play my old Final Fantasy VII again, and while I was at it I've got Legend of Mana, but I haven't given it much time of late due to other distractions.
rrfish
Kimono Bird

Post by rrfish »

Kassidy wrote:Yep, got me a PS1 emulator too so I could play my old Final Fantasy VII again, and while I was at it I've got Legend of Mana, but I haven't given it much time of late due to other distractions.
I kept my PS1 so I could play FFVII, now I have a PS2 so the PS1 is a bit obsolete. But I do have a PS1 emulator because I can't find LoM anymore. :-(