Experimental SD3 Fanfic

Expanding the Mana Universe. For fans, by fans.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Bozeia
Rabite

Post by Bozeia »

I'll sum things up nice and simple. I'm a retro-gamer. I have hardtype and english-patched ROMs out the kazoo on many a computer and flash drive. So, of course I've been playing Seiken Densetsu 3 lately. In addition to this, I'm also an artist and a writer.

About a week ago I wrote a short fic based on the beginning of the game, with an Anjera/Kevin/Charlotte team party setup. It just seemed to me that this would be the "misfit/rejects" team out of all the possible combinations, so I ran with it.

Problem is...I'm having a hard time finding anybody with knowledge of the game who could provide decent feedback. I'm having second thoughts about the writing style, character setup, and title, and I'm searching for second opinions. So far, this seems to be the only place where I could possibly find it.

I'm either going to run with the fic and write a few more pieces based off my playthrough of the game, or I'm going to go back and rewrite the beginning, and fine tune it a bit more.

Here's the link to my fic: http://bozeia.livejournal.com/4649.html

Please tell me what you think. And thank you. :love:
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Looked good to me. Afraid I'm not much for writing myself so I couldn't begin to offer up constructive criticism or anything of the sor, but I can say that I liked it. XD
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Her Japanese name actually is Angela. It may say Anjera on Wikipedia, but that is because the Japanese language treats R and L as the same sound, and writes them both as an R.
All the Japanese guides and stuff have her name Romanized as Angela: Her name on a Japanese playing card.

It's the same reason some people call Riesz Lise (in her case the R sound is correct, her name is written in English as Riesz in Japanese guides, etc.) Japanese letters making Enlgish words is a big mess, Sharurotto is as close as they can get to saying Charlotte, and my last name, Smith, is written as Sumisu.

Not saying you should change it in your story, just explaining why Wikipedia says it's "Anjera". Engrish is fun XD

Story seems fun, pitting Angela with those two is gonna be funny I'm sure. XD

As far as the language that Carlie and Kevin use, you might find this thread interesting to browse through: viewtopic.php?id=794
There are some well thought out ideas on why those two speak they way they do.

So far it sounds good, I think it's just me, but I have trouble reading first person accounts of things when dialouges get mixed in. Throws me off I dunno why.
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

I know it's probably bad form to quote an entire paragraph, but I can't resist:
Bozeia wrote:Neither of them, however, seems especially learned. Carlie looks and acts the part of a six-year-old, while what I could gather from Kevin’s garbled background would indicate that he basically spent as much time away from the castle as beastly possible. Not to mention the speech impediments all around, which would make any information impossible to interpret.
Priceless! And most likely how Angela in the original SD3 would've thought if she only had those two in her party.

My very first emulated SFC game was SD3, and it was played excruciatingly low-res and low-FPS on a Pentium 75 in Japanese (most of the kanji was rendered unreadable because I was stuck with 320x240 or frying the sucker). Will review more when I'm done reading.

Okay, done (my AoE playlist was perfect background)! I think you've captured the scenario and characters very nicely, but I think the Faerie and Wisp wouldn't be nonexistent in such a scene-- granted, it'd be very hard to write them in (too much for the reader to swallow at once), so I think this piece is a good compromise. All in all, it's a great scene in Maia prior to the bridge incident, and it shows me just how little I've actually done in my own SD3 screenplay idea brewing in my brain. Not to mention, the consistency with the original Japanese characterization is a testament to the job well done by the fanslation group.

Charlotte in Japan is often nicknamed Char (Sharu) in fanfiction. Since you hadn't played the game through six times (one for each character) yet, I'll spoil the backstories a bit, and tell you that all six are exiles in their own way: Duran feels he's failed his country and king after an attack by Altena humiliates him; Hawkeye (Hawk) is framed for murder and has to break out of prison; Riesz (Lise) is a lone survivor of an attack on her homeland; Angela's story you know; Charlotte has a unique backstory if she's the leader, so I'll omit those details; Kevin's story you pretty much have down, his best friend was slaughtered with the permission of his father.

The party you picked may have tactical weaknesses (you'll need a LOT of walnuts to keep Carlie and Angela fully charged, especially two-thirds into the game), but the most challenging party possible IMO is Duran/Angela/Carlie.

I like your storytelling style, so keep up the game and fanfic! In fact, I think I'll get started on the bridge scene, but with all 6 characters... somehow.
Last edited by Magus_Melchior on Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Magus_Melchior wrote:Riesz (Lise) is a lone survivor of an attack on her homeland;
My understanding was that there were more survivors, as we see a group of amazon warriors at the secret hideout planning to take Rolante/Laurent back. Also, the Navarre forces retreat victorious to get reinforcements for the next day. I'd centre her exile being more around the kidnapping of Eliott that she blames herself for.

That said, I only played through in the translation, so maybe there are details I'm missing.
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

Kassidy wrote:
Magus_Melchior wrote:Riesz (Lise) is a lone survivor of an attack on her homeland;
My understanding was that there were more survivors, as we see a group of amazon warriors at the secret hideout planning to take Rolante/Laurent back. Also, the Navarre forces retreat victorious to get reinforcements for the next day. I'd centre her exile being more around the kidnapping of Eliott that she blames herself for.

That said, I only played through in the translation, so maybe there are details I'm missing.
True, which is why I said she's a lone survivor, not the lone survivor. I didn't want to spoil her entire storyline...

She also lost her father and her home in the invasion, so the entire weight of Lorant, as well as her desire to find Elliot is a heavy burden on her. I only wanted to sum it up in a quickie phrase, but that didn't quite work the way I intended.
Last edited by Magus_Melchior on Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Ah, sorry, I misread you. My bad.

OT, your sig reminded me to say you now have me watching Sketchbook.