What action RPG game do you think is the best?

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Resha
Lullabud

Post by Resha »

Hi
I've just finished DoM and KH2.So I'm going to get a new action RPG game.
But I'm confused because there are many RPG game and I don't know which one is good.
So,I need your opinion.
Thanx be4.
:-)
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Star Ocean Til the End of Time is great action rpg. And also the Tales of series
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Deques wrote:Star Ocean Til the End of Time is great action rpg. And also the Tales of series
That pretty much took the words out of my mouth. Radiata Stories is also pretty fun too if you can find it, but if you do it is usually a very cheap game.
se37
Mushboom

Post by se37 »

I dunno, I still think the best Action RPG system was Secret of Mana

I would say the Tales of... series is very good. But it does have random battles in it. I at least think of it as a Action RPG. Folklore I liked for the PS3 is a action RPG.
Last edited by se37 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Tales of Symphonia doesnt have random battles. I dunno about the later Tales of games after Symphonia, but this one doesnt have any random encounters at all.
And why do you think it is at least an action rpg? it is an action rpg, you dont do any turnbased action in it. its all action
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Yeah, your more recent Tales games haven't been random encounters aside from Tales of Legendia.
se37
Mushboom

Post by se37 »

@Deques: I haven't played many of the Tales of... games so I wasn't sure if some of them are full Turn Based RPG's, however I do know some of them are Action RPG's.

Another one I just remembered is Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2 for the PS2. Also the .hack games are Action RPG's, but the camera is really weird in the .hack games.
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

There are no turn-based Tales games.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

se37 wrote:full Turn Based RPG's
can you give me an example or two of what game is "full" turn based rpgs? and as tsurayu said, there are no turn based Tales of games. all of them are action based.

you do know the difference between turn based and action based rpg? and also random encounters is not a part of either sub genre, it can be in both genres
se37
Mushboom

Post by se37 »

Turn based would be something like Final Fantasy (1-10)... I guess I screwed up in saying "full" because their are some parts I remember in some of the Final Fantasy that was like "action commands".

My fault, but I didn't know that random encounters can be part of both genre's because the only games I've played with random encounters that was action was the Tales of... series. All the other Action RPG's I've played had no random encounters, unless you count something like Kingdom Hearts, but I always thought of them as not being random encounters since you don't go into a different "area" for the fight, then again Chrono Trigger doesn't do that too.

And now that I've thought up some more... I'll just say that I didn't remember the action RPG's with random encounters. I was half asleep when I posted that too... so I just didn't remember the Turn Based RPG's... I'll just forget that post existed
Last edited by se37 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Rogue Galaxy is action based and has random encounters. i dont know much about the spinoff FF games, but I think crystal chronicles is action based. but thats a spinoff, not a part of main series.
chrono trigger doesnt have random encounters, you can skip the battles by not going into the monsters.
se37
Mushboom

Post by se37 »

I've always thought of Random Encounters as being something in which you go off screen to a different area, but Chrono Trigger even if doesn't have random enounters. You don't really have random enounters but some of the monsters are random and pop up out of no where. I remember alot of times I would get stuck in the forest in Chrono Trigger cause some of the monsters would I think "randomly" appear out of the tree's sometimes. Then again it's been so long since I've played it I may just be thinking that
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Well with the exception of like Rogue Galaxy most of your random encounter action RPGs are transition games where you are present with a transition into a battle mode like on a different field.

Rogue Galaxy is unique in that it is random encounter, but it isn't a transition either really. Well, it is, but it isn't a visible one so much. You just see Encounter on the screen and then you are in battle. It isn't like you are warped into a battle screen.

I'm not making much sense now am I? Wow. I'm just gonna shut up now. XD
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

うはwwwwww. random encounter means just random encounter. the enemies just randomly pops out in your face and want to kill your party. it has nothing to do with transitions to other screen
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Resha wrote:Hi
I've just finished DoM and KH2.So I'm going to get a new action RPG game.
But I'm confused because there are many RPG game and I don't know which one is good.
So,I need your opinion.
Thanx be4.
:-)
DoM is more of an Adventure/Platformer, so I wouldn't count it

Aside from the Seiken series, I would say the best one would be Illusion of Gaia.