New to anime and need expert help

Multimedia discussion fun for all!

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

ManaChick
Mushboom

Post by ManaChick »

:heart:
Hey peeps

I am very new to anime and I want expert help from people like you. What should I watch? :) I don't like action and fighting. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Toodles xx
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Well what types do you like?

I'm guessing comedy since you have a Lucky Star avatar? If you haven't seen it yet you should watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Oh and Welcome to the N.H.K. is something everyone must see. *nods*

Otherwise just hang around the anime thread for a while. Everyone is talking about what anime they are watching and Kimiko is nice enough to give reviews for what she watches.
ManaChick
Mushboom

Post by ManaChick »

watched a few things like that and fruits basket and other really girly things. Just want a different flavour! x
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Hm, afraid I may not be much help there. I typically watch Harem/Comedies, which a lot of female audiences either like or won't tolerate. XD
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Hmm, two that spring to mind this morning:
- Kidou Tenshi Angelic Layer
- Witch Hunter Robin

I'll come up with more suggestions after tea, I'm sure. Too early still.
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Girly, but not too girly, eh? How about some kick-ass women? Noir, Madlax and El Cazador De La Bruja are good for that. Mai-Otome, Read Or Die (The TV), Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex (and S.A.C. Second Gig), Witch Hunter Robin, Ghost Hunter, The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya, Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star, .hack//SIGN, Banner Of The Stars, Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl, Mushishi, Elfen Lied, Full Metal Panic, CardCaptor Sakura are others I would recommend. Pfft. Just read the main anime thread.

Yes, tea is good :)
Last edited by Kimiko on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ryoko126
Dark Knight

Post by ryoko126 »

If you don't like action and fighting, well you would probably like Urusei Yatsura. It's kinda old school, but very hillarious. In a newer one, Death Note might be a good one. A good "In the middle" anime is Cowboy Bebop though.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

OK, a couple of additions to the list:
- Bokura no (low-action Mecha, more thriller)
- Claymore (might have more action than you'd want)
- Galaxy Angel (very random comedy)
- Saber Marionette J (comedy, non-ecchi semi-harem, cute story)
- Slayers (long running comedy, just released new series)

Just a few more to think about. That and I second several of the ones already mentioned (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, Noir/Madlax/ElCazador. There are several others that I would recommend, but it depends on action/violence tolerance and such, so I'll reserve those until I have a better idea what you're looking for.

Ah yes, and http://www.anidb.net is your friend. Very good for keeping a record of what you have in your collection.
ManaChick
Mushboom

Post by ManaChick »

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll be sure to look into some of them ^_^;
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

Kyoto Animation makes a lot of good stuff, but unfortunately their name doesn't show up very often. Lucky Star is one of their works, and Kanon, Air, and Clannad are others.

Almost forgot that Haruhi is animated by Kyoto. They also had a hand in Figure 17, but that might be a bit intense.

I tend to push art school anime around here, as they're generally hilarious and somewhat slice-of-life at the same time. Off the top of my head, Hidamari Sketch, Honey and Clover, Mahoraba, and Sketchbook full colors come to mind.

I don't know if they still run it, but there's an hour show in Japan called Noitamina* which showcases unique anime. One of the better anime shows to come out of that series is Nodame Cantabile.

Moving closer to current series, I think you'll enjoy Haruka Nogizaka's Secret and Allison and Lillia once they're released.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm pretty sure the titles in this thread will last you for at least 3 seasons.

* Read it backwards for the joke.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

I would recommend Genshiken, which is an anime about people who love anime. Also if you're into over-the-top anime stereotypes and vulgar humor, watch Excel Saga and Shin-Chan.

For a bit of old-school action/comedy, check out Ranma 1/2. Its a little ecchi at first but that slowly goes away. Another would be Scrapped Princess.

If you want to check out a harem anime, the best one for you would be Ouran High School Hosts Club, which is about a girl who ends up in a club filled with bishounen.
Last edited by Duran on Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryoko126
Dark Knight

Post by ryoko126 »

I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, but you'd love Tenchi Muyo, and Tenchi Universe. Just stay away from Tenchi in Tokyo. That sucks!
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

ryoko126 wrote:I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, but you'd love Tenchi Muyo, and Tenchi Universe. Just stay away from Tenchi in Tokyo. That sucks!
I'd recommend Universe over Muyo, mostly because Muyo is incredibly dirty... ^-^;
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Duran wrote:I would recommend Genshiken, which is an anime about people who love anime. Also if you're into over-the-top anime stereotypes and vulgar humor, watch Excel Saga and Shin-Chan.

For a bit of old-school action/comedy, check out Ranma 1/2. Its a little ecchi at first but that slowly goes away. Another would be Scrapped Princess.

If you want to check out a harem anime, the best one for you would be Ouran High School Hosts Club, which is about a girl who ends up in a club filled with bishounen.
I couldn't get through Genshiken. It got so bland after a while.
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Excel Saga is crazy weird, not really vulgar I think. Is Shin-Chan like a Japanese Southpark?