Hama/Perler Bead Creations

Expanding the Mana Universe. For fans, by fans.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

So I decided to give this a go and bought some mini-beads and a board, and I had some nice results. I've now invested a bit more money in a decent pallette of colours in midi-beads, so now they're a bit easier to handle for me, and gone ahead and pulled this together today:

I changed the colours slightly since I'm not limited to having just 16 on the go, so I subbed out blue dagger blades for pearl and grey with bronze handles, and made the boot and jacket highlights light orange instead of the generic banana yellow used for all highlights. I did have to reduce skin-tones to 3 rather than 4 though.

Just to give you an idea of the size, here's a photo of it next to my hand:

There will be more to come (trust me), but meanwhile here are the ones I did using mini-beads:

Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

That Hawkeye turned out awesome.

I like how the Megaman ones stand up, that's brilliant, didn't notice that last time you showed me them (cause I think the image gave up loading before it got there... stupid connection XD)

What're you gonna do with Hawkeye and the Mushboom?
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Unsure as of yet. I'll find something to do with them though. I'm planning on doing some more, smaller, sprites similar to the MM ones at some point in the near future.
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Nice work, especially the colors on Hawk Image

I wonder why they make them beads. I mean, if you're going to melt them together anyway, the hole in the middle isn't particularly important, is it?

Why are your nails so long? Seems they're much longer than practical.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Thank you. :)

So you can arrange them on the pegboards and keep then gridded.

Habit more than anything else. Only on my right hand. Useful as back-up guitar picks. Amazing how sensitive the tips of my right fingers become though compared to my left ones after so long not coming in contact with anything. To the point of being painful even.
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Ah, to keep them pegged while making the picture. Of course. Should've thought of that.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Finished another one last night.

Again, changed some of the colours. The spearhead doesn't show up very well, but has pearl as one of the tones of grey to try and give a bit of a reflective quality.
SK Sien Naita
Lullabud

Post by SK Sien Naita »

These are ausome. I used to try those, only on a less professional scale... I only made one from the Seiken Densetsu universe, and it was a failed attempt of a Beholder. x.x;
IrishLuiz
Wizard Eye

Post by IrishLuiz »

Oh My Gosh! that´s sick man!!!!!!!!! That´s some major talent you´ve got there!!! awesome! praise ya!
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

Where'd you get a pegboard big enough to do those?

I am half tempted to make myself a Kevin, I had considered doing these in the past, but never bothered due to lack of colors.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Thanks all for the feedback. :) Expect more to come. I'm working on another now (Kevin, funnily enough), after having finished a Megaman X sprite (I'll post that one when I take the photos of Kevin).

Lotus: The pegboards I use are 20x20 interlocking, so to make Riesz I used 6 pegboards, locking them in a 2x3. You can get quite a variety of colours now. I think at the moment I have about 48 colours (have to count them), and because there are two main makers, Perler and Hama, and each has a few colours the other doesn't, you can probably make up a palette of about 60 colours now (more if you include the translucent ones, but they're not terribly useful).
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

And so this afternoon I finished Kevin. I changed the orange tones so his hair is darker than his clothes, and also changed the turquoise highlights on the trousers and belt to blue to match the artwork, though I decided to leave the wristguards and hat as turquoise to give it some variety.

And scaled down so you can get a better feel for it.

And I'll also throw in Megaman X, completed the other day.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Angela took me longer than expected for two reasons.
Firstly, I haven't had time.
Secondly, I had loads of colour issues trying to get things properly graded and such, to the point where I had to order more colours from a separate supplier and wait for them to arrive before I could continue. Which was a bit of a pain, TBH, but the result was mostly satisfactory.

Also had some issues with the beads actually sticking together, but managed to fix that pretty quickly (after much cursing and swearing).

IrishLuiz
Wizard Eye

Post by IrishLuiz »

whoa, it´s so detailed!! amazing!
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Angela as sexy as ever. ;)