Nintendo DSi (now with TWO cameras!)

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

Yeah, I'm not that into the 2 cameras thing.

Here's the lowdown from Engadget, Joystiq, and the DSi site itself (Japanese).

EDIT: The big change isn't the hardware, although the SD slot will be significant depending on how tightly they lock down what goes in.

They are integrating some of the key online and software features of the Wii. This is a direct response to Apple's online game shop for its iPod Touch and iPhone.
Last edited by Magus_Melchior on Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ailise
Site Admin

Post by Ailise »

I don't think it was a direct response to Apple... this was going to be implemented with or without Apple.
The first DS already had a wi-fi... and Wiiware was out and became a success... why won't they try to implement on the DS?

Also I think Nintendo don't care much for Apple... as they are more worried for the Sony PSP.

Edit: Btw, I have an iPod Touch and have bought quite a few games now. Monkey Ball, Spore, Bandicoot, Starwars Unleashed, Kroll and so on... and I must say that both PSP and DS don't have to worry a thing.
Games that can be great are so damn short you kinda finish them in less then one hour and you pay 10 dollars for it!
and the games that are long are the puzzle games... like monkey ball.. which don't seem to have that much variation of stuff... and sorta taken 100mb+ of space.

About the DSi... I like the cam idea and bigger screen but they should have made more changes outside... maybe thinner and better hardware...

anyway, enough talk for me >.< (i guess it is noticeable that i'm not in a good mood today :( )
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

Ailise wrote:The first DS already had a wi-fi... and Wiiware was out and became a success... why won't they try to implement on the DS?
Wiiware et al. can be run without inserting software into the Wii. I think they wanted to do the same for the portable version, but this wasn't built-into the DS. I'm hoping the DSi will be able to do WPA encryption, as I don't like wardrivers stealing my internet. WEP sucks big time in terms of security, but WPA requires higher power draw. Maybe they included heavier batteries but included the necessary firmware to do it?

And the Apple app/game store is still in its infancy, so the minigame explosion is kinda inevitable. We'll probably see more interesting titles unless the markets collapse. I think it'll be a good thing for all 3 handheld makers, but Sony's got some R&D to do with 2 big competitors. Nintendo, I think, is finding its groove with Wiiware, and Apple wrote the book on online media commerce.

Sorry to hear you're not in a good mood, Ailise. Hope you feel better tomorrow.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Magus_Melchior wrote:[T]he Apple app/game store is still in its infancy, so the minigame explosion is kinda inevitable. We'll probably see more interesting titles unless the markets collapse. I think it'll be a good thing for all 3 handheld makers, but Sony's got some R&D to do with 2 big competitors. Nintendo, I think, is finding its groove with Wiiware, and Apple wrote the book on online media commerce.
Very good,

I totally agree with you there. I, for one, am very excited by this announcement. Since it doesn't seem that long ago that I got my DS lite, I'm a little disappointed but it's nothing I can't get over. It doesn't sound like they are dropping production of games that will work on the lite. I just hope the DSi doesn't come out immediately here in the US. I would like to know that when the time comes, I may be able to get one! :)

Thanks for the updates, guys,

manaman
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Last I heard the DSi wasn't coming out in NAmerica and Europe until Spring 2009 or later because the Lite is still selling very well.
I'm a little disappointed with the new features too. Seems more like they added some gimmicks than actually updated the system. It's a wait-and-see-what-happens for me.
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

Well, Nintendo worked hard to maintain backward compatibility in its handhelds-- though it broke GBA compat with the DSi.

I'm sure they could pull off a "PS3" like spec increase, but that would probably double the price.
missyjean130
Eye Spy

Post by missyjean130 »

The DS lite doesn't fit well in my hands...and it sure doesn't feel durable. I rather they fix those things than put in a stupid camera.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

If they would fix the bad feel of the D-pad (or at least I prefer the D-pad from the old DS) on the DS-Lite, I'd be happy. Diagonals just aren't achievable somehow.

And looking at this again, I'm going to assume they plan to upgrade the wifi spec if they intend to enable video-chat.
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Worst idea ever. And that's saying a lot considering how much Nintendo has screwed up over the years.

Mark my words, casual gaming is going to be the death of video games as we know it.

*shakes fist at Pop Cap Games*
missyjean130
Eye Spy

Post by missyjean130 »

and those freaking touch screens get all scratched up...and I don't think you can replace them....and im sooo not gonna buy another one if my screen gets jacked up.
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Only reason I hold on to my DS is the ever fleeting hope that Tales of Innocence and Tales of Hearts ever make it stateside. I think I have a better chance of being the Queen of England.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

missyjean130 wrote:and those freaking touch screens get all scratched up...and I don't think you can replace them....and im sooo not gonna buy another one if my screen gets jacked up.
Afraid of getting scratched screens?
Get screen protectors. Especially HORI's screen protectors. Be warned, there are fake ones.
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Hey, don't knock Popcap. They brought the world Bejeweled Image
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Heh,

Yup for Hori screen protectors. Yup for Bejeweled. Yup for Kassidy's thoughts on the directional pad.

I would just add that I've heard the directional pad on the DSi is better than the lite. I haven't heard how it compares to the original DS.

We'll see,

manaman