Why I hate certain anime.

Multimedia discussion fun for all!

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

missyjean130
Eye Spy

Post by missyjean130 »

I have a rule of thumb when it comes to certain things...and one of those rules is," If a large,younger population obsesses over a certain anime...it probably sucks."

This rule has served me well.

First of,Let's talk about Naruto. A ninja who wears...orange. Yes...Orange. While most ninjas wear colors that are supposed to help them sneak around unnoticed, HE wears " Hey! Look at me!" Orange.

There's also ninja school...for younger kids. riiight. That's believable and makes TOTAL sense. Everyone training to become a ninja is pubically labled as a ninja when their identity AS a ninja is supposed to be secret. So everyone knows what they are.

It's not just the show that fills me with rage either,it's the fans. You ever see those kids walking around at the mall with naruto headbands? Yeah, It looks so rediculous that I have to look away before I tackle them and start punching them into a pulp.

So if you want to watch a ninja anime that lowers your IQ...try Ninja Scroll or Wrath of the Ninja

Another rule of thumb for anime is," If it's a bazzilion episodes long...it probabaly sucks."

Dragon Ball Z was once a favorite of mine...until the "freeza" incident.

*spoiler alert* Do not read past this point unless you're willing to read my spoiler. You have been warned. And this part better not be deleted.

Goku fought Freeza for about...20 episodes. A long,hard,exciting battle that I LOVED. But then something happened...He was brought to life...stronger and better before! But then TRunks comes along and kills him with one slash of his sword. Wow...I just wasted 3 weeks of my life watching those 20 fighting episodes.

*end of spoiler*

If the anime is more than 200 eps long..it loses sight of the main plot often. It gets drawn out and boring...and milked for it's popularity until people are just sick of it (inuyasha,pokemon,etc)

So whats the longest anime ill watch? 52 eps. And i prefer 24.hell, even 13 (hellsing ftw)

Okay Kass,this has been my rant.

/rant
Ailise
Site Admin

Post by Ailise »

I agree... I never liked Dragonball... ever!!
Now I have some "counter?" talk about Naruto. Not that I'm any fan or anything.

1. About the orange colour. If you have watch Naruto you see almost all ninjas wear dark green, blue and grey. But Naruto don't, because he wants to be seen. That's basically the whole point of that show. He does not only wear orange, he also breaks all the rules. Doesn't sneak around and is very noisy.

2. If you want to be a professional you have to start of from a very young age. Same goes for everything else. Soccer, Tennis or what ever. You can't decide at age 25 that you will be a professional soccer player all of the sudden. You will kinda never make it.

3. Ninjas are train to act in the shadows and the villages are hidden, yes. But the ninjas are not. They have to work for the community. In the series they have to take travellers from point A to B and so on. This are the assignment the young/newbies get. While the grow they get better/harder ones. But bottom line is that the ninjas are not a secret.

----

But you are right. Series that goes of forever do suck and lose the sight of it's main plot.
The same goes for TV-Series... they sorta loop around everything.
missyjean130
Eye Spy

Post by missyjean130 »

1. Then he's not a ninja, that's rediculous
2. bwuh...?
3. ninjas ARE supposed to be secretive. It's just...what a ninja is....
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

There is a point with orange clothes. It is not only to make Naruto stand out, it also creates the character. If all characters were wearing same clothes, same colors and do same attacks, then the series would be boring as hell.
There wouldn't be any personality at all. Sakura would wear black ninja clothes instead of her red dress like clothes, Sasuke wouldn't have a ping pong racket like clan emblem on the back of his blue outfit.

I don't see anything wrong with long running series. They are good, but as soon as they close up to the manga, the series kind get boring. They have to drag the fights longer. Do recaps and all that crap. I believe Dragon Ball Z suffered this problem too during the Freeza arc.
Now most current long running anime series suffer this, not only Naruto, but Bleach and One Piece as well.
For Bleach I totally skipped the latest filler arc because I don't stand fillers at all.

Seing that you replied before me.
Ninjas in Naruto world is different from the Ninja in our world. You can't do fire flames in reality, no I mean it
Ailise
Site Admin

Post by Ailise »

1. Well... He is not a ninja really... he never passed the test in a normal way, rather got to pass because he stole a secret scroll and learned the shadow clone thingy. If you watch the series you will see that Naruto is seen as the worse ninja ever. Doesn't know anything, can't do anything...
What makes him powerful and special is the Nine Tail Demon Fox inside him.

2. ?

3. When a ninja is on a mission they act in secret. They hide well and acts in the shadows. But they are assign to jobs, because ninjas in narutos world are not criminals. They work for the people. (Skipping the facts now that all the ninjas here have some sort of super power as well)
missyjean130
Eye Spy

Post by missyjean130 »

Okay. I still think it's stupid,not funny...and not worth obsessing over.
IrishLuiz
Wizard Eye

Post by IrishLuiz »

Missy, i used to attend to anime/manga events when i was young. I´ll never forget the last year I attended to an event: it was the year Naruto exploded in Brazil..... I saw like 50 kids in a mile wearing naruto headbands, perfoming hand mudrás and begging for money to buy mangas and action figures......... I felt so sick that i promised i would never lay a foot again in such events.

I also have a problem with popular animes... and it´s not because i want to be different, but i think my taste is just different. Example: I HATE one the most beloved animes ever: Evangelion (agh just the name makes me sick), thinking again i hate giant robots themed stuff うはwwwwww....

although i liked DB, Yuyu Hakusho, Saint Seyia and other popular stuff... i guess i got too old for these stuff, truth be told...
Destiny
Steamed Crab

Post by Destiny »

I'm not really in the know about what's popular and what's not, cos I only watch anime that I really want to watch, and I'm not the type to watch anime just because.. it's anime. Definitely not the type to watch a series because it's popular. I'm not into any particular genre of anime, I'm just into storylines and characters that I can relate to and find interesting, so I like a whole variety of stuff but I don't think many of them are super-popular.

I don't really care what other people like. It's their business. Some people do take their obsessions a little far, this is true. ;)

I think for a lot of people following a particular trend (popular anime included) gives them a sense of identity and belonging and I can sympathise with that much. I think it's a phase a lot of people go through especially when they're teenagers. Being a part of a fandom can be a really satisfying thing. They will probably calm down eventually and relax about their obsessions.
Last edited by Destiny on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

90% of Anime sucks in the first place. Obsessing over anything just shows that you want your life to be controlled.
Lucemia
Fierce Head

Post by Lucemia »

I think that if people want to obsess over something, that's their deal. If I don't really care what it is they're obsessing over I don't waste my time and get mad about it. Actually it's not really about time being wasted as much as I'm more of a believer of "To Each Their Own". I don't presume to be in any sort of place to tell anyone what they should like and how much they should like it, no matter how much I disagree with it. The only thing I do dislike though is when people hate something just because alot of other people like it.

The only time it really bugs me is when the obsessed people start acting like what it is that they're obsessing over blows everything else in the world away. Like for....Final Fantasy for example(I can't think of any anime that people act like it blows away everything else). I have alot of disagreements about how there's people out there who think the series blows away any other RPG, especially like FF7(supposedly by far the most best RPG ever). But I don't let that stop it from being one of my favorite series and FF7 probably one of my favorite FFs.

But that's just me though. I listen to no one and if I think that something's good than I like it. And I'm like the farthest thing from a critic that you'll ever see. Come to think of it, how many posts do I have of me talking bad about something? I think the worst I've ever said about anything is that I don't agree with it or it's not my style.
Last edited by Lucemia on Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Etsura
Kid Goblin

Post by Etsura »

Hmm... I've been thinking about this a lot recently. When I was about 11 years I loved Dragonball and especially Naruto. I lived my life always waiting for the next episodes and talking about them constantly. It felt kind of nice, to have something to be really obsessed with. :*

Then, when I slowly grew up, I heard others talking about how ridiculous Naruto is and stuff. I began thinking about it myself too and began kind of hating Naruto.

Nowadays I'm watching short, usually 13 episodes long animes that have a complicated plot. Still, I don't hate any animes anymore. Stuff like Naruto is for younger people and there's nothing bad in them liking it. I'm not obsessed anymore but it's always nice to have such memories from childhood.

Hating something deeply is just as childish as being overly obsessed with it. Let kids be kids. ;)
Ailise
Site Admin

Post by Ailise »

Naruto in a nutshell!

Lucemia
Fierce Head

Post by Lucemia »

うはwwwwww! I think that was funny enough that I think I'll actually start to watch Naruto.
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

If that is the nutshell, I'm definitely not the sort of nut who would watch it.
Ailise
Site Admin

Post by Ailise »

Well... it is. At least that is the basic formula for Naruto fights. Now imagen this fight over a spawn of 10 episodes or more.

Each episode will consist of:
2 min recap from last episode.
1,5 min intro.
more recap.
now some childhood memories (which they have already shown before).
now some memories from what was said to them like 1-8 episodes back (yeah... like more recap)
now some actionless scenes... were actually they just look at each other... like thinking what to do next.
now commercial break/middle of the episode.
back to thinking.
more memories.
now some fighting (like 3-5 min of new material)
back to thinking.
memories for what happened during the fight that took place 3 min ago.
flashback of the thinking
end credit.