Finding all the Impure Gems in CoM

Mana not on your side? Ask here and we'll help out!

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Dutch Samurai
Mushboom

Post by Dutch Samurai »

Does anyone know exactly how to get all the impure gems? I know that they are either found in chests, dropped by monsters and/or are rewards for Dud-bear quests. But I'm having trouble finding all 35. I have two characters, Ferrik and Tamber. Tamber has all but two. Ferrik needs a few more.

But if anyone knows approximate locations of them, it would help me, immensely.

All Tamber needs is Uneasy Blessing and Soul of Progress.

Ferrik still needs Clouded Vivicite, Clouded Magicite, Budding Warlock, Budding Alchemist, Budding Artificer, Courage to Learn, Soul of Progress, Uneasy Blessing, and Witch's Cantrip. I know I'll find most of these through the Dud-Bear quests. So really it's Uneasy Blessing and Soul of Progress I need help with.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

From my experience there is no real way of systematically obtaining Impure Gems, I'm afraid. Either they are Dud Rewards, or you find them in random drops. I suspect in the case of those two you need to be rather advanced in the game (I honestly can't remember off the top of my head).
Dutch Samurai
Mushboom

Post by Dutch Samurai »

Cheers Kassidy. You guys run an awesome site, by the way. The beastiary, esspecially, has been most helpful with the names of the various monsters. My fiance and I both have the game and it's nice to not have to refer to things as "Those weird skull thingies with the antlers and chicken feet" or the "yellow chickies with the snake tails." ;*
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Thank you for the feedback. Sheexy is the guru in charge of the Bestiary, so I have no doubt that he'll be dropping in to this thread soon enough.

Let us know if those gems still give you trouble and we'll see what we can investigate for you. Which reminds me that I must work on the CoM section for gems soon. Need more hours in the day!
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

*drops in like Kassidy thought I would*

Glad you like the bestiary! :D I need to get all the newer game monsters up and listed and sort out images though still x_x...
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Weren't some of those gems created by combining two others? It's been a while since I played Children (my first DS game)..
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Not in the case of impure gems, no. These are only found.
Dutch Samurai
Mushboom

Post by Dutch Samurai »

Sheexy wrote:Glad you like the bestiary! :D I need to get all the newer game monsters up and listed and sort out images though still x_x...
It must be a daunting task. Thank you for the effort! I'd ask what all the magic-laser-beam-one-eyed behemoths in the last Elemental Quest are, but that would be off-topic. ;) Cousins of Cyclops no doubt.

Oh and Kassidy... Your section on gems proved invaluable! It really came in handy. It was tough getting those Gold rankings in the Path of Life and the Cosmic Rift... At least with Tamber. With Ferrik I got the Gold no problem. I even somehow got the x3 bonus when I fought the Doppelgangers in the Rift. Couldn't do it with Tamber though. *huh
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I've got the names of them on this page:
http://www.seikens.com/bestiary-divine.html

If you look at the SD3 bosses on that page I'm sure you'll see some similarities to the CoM bosses.

In the order of the fights:
Xangar- Phoenix - Xan Bie (fire) mixed with Dangaard (air)
Galem - Leafy Beholder - Lightgazer (light) mixed with Mispolm (wood)
Thaydol - Two-headed Beast - Dolan (moon) mixed with Zable Fahr (shade)
Landmund - Icy Lizard Beast - Land Umber (earth) mixed with Fiegmund (water)

The SD3 ones are in the little bubbles that pop up after you win those boss fights. And you can visit them later in a few special quests, Kassidy would know more.

The call back to those bosses from SD3 made me happy, it's pretty neat.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

You don't fight them in the later quests, but you do encounter them. Benevodon sidequests in the CoM section.

*runs off to make sure they're actually there*
Dutch Samurai
Mushboom

Post by Dutch Samurai »

うはwwwwww! No I know about the benevodons. The creatures I was talking about were minor enemies. I remember they gave about 10 experience points (as opposed to the normal 2 of the other monsters). They basically looked like one-eyed ogres or possibly trolls that shoot lasers from their eye. But thank you for the link. I love the artwork. I'll probably do some CoM fanart at some point.

*starts procrastination process... Now!*

**EDIT** Ah I found it, Sheexy! You reference them here. They are elemental cyclops.

*continues procrastinating*
Last edited by Dutch Samurai on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Y'know, reading back over your post I have no idea how I got on the topic of the benevodons.

:o
Dutch Samurai
Mushboom

Post by Dutch Samurai »

:) Quite alright, Sheexy... I've done that with other people's post's too, so no worries!
Dutch Samurai
Mushboom

Post by Dutch Samurai »

Grr... I had unlocked all the impure gems for Tamber then I accidentally saved over her slot with my Ferrik save. (Word to the wise, don't play DS and try to watch TV at the same time. D'oh!)

Anyway the only impure gem I don't have for my Ferrik character is Witch's Cantrip and I honestly can't remember where I picked it up for Tamber, though I think it was somewhere in either the Ruins, the Path of Life, or the Cosmic Rift. I'm not certain, though. At any rate I've been doing countless Dudbear quests in these 3 areas, with no success at getting this gem. So any help would be appreciated.

Also I've figured out that the three types of chests contain certain items.

The bronze chests contain small amounts of lucre or recovery items.

The silver chests contain medium amounts of lucre, weapons, armor, or ring items.

The gold chests contain large amounts of lucre or gems.

So, mainly i've just been slashing at every gold chest I see in those 3 areas, but still no luck. :(
Dutch Samurai
Mushboom

Post by Dutch Samurai »

FOUND IT FINALLY!! Witch's Cantrip can be found in the Ruins.