Star Wars MMO

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Hey all,

So, I realized that there's a new game on the horizon that I've been talking a lot about everywhere except . . . here. So, by show of hands, who here (besides Kassidy) is a Star Wars fan? I know I am. Chances are, if you are one, you've played (and likely enjoyed) Knights of the Old Republic. Well, there's a "third" game in the series coming out that is an MMO. It's called The Old Republic and it looks stunning.

If you check out the official website, there's a free online webcomic as well as some other fun things like concept art and demos.

I have never played a pay-to-play MMORPG and I really don't want to, but I have to admit that this one has piqued my interest--despite the likelihood that this will be a pay-to-play game.

So, I'm distracted watching the TV at the moment, so I'm going to sign off,

manaman
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Yeah, I've been hearing about it a lot on Game Trailers. Everyone is expecting big things from Bioware. I'm not too excited though. With the except of KOTORs (which I still didn't care that much for,) I find most Star Wars games suck so I'm not going to be hyped for this one.

Oh well, right now I'm going through one of my "Anime phases; anti-gaming phases." I can never seem to be interested in both at the same time. I'm probably going to stay away from video games for a while. XD
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

I've been signed up, and actively posting on the forum since the title launched for this MMO.

Also, It won't be a pay-to-play type of game. The game will rely on micro-transactions from customer's to gain capital.
Basically it'll be free to play, but for the bells and whistles, you must pay more.

KOTOR had an AWESOME story-line for the E.U. of Star Wars but a weaker straight-vertical path of quests and puzzles, while KOTOR2 had an AWESOME gaming experience (albeit customization, unlocks, etc) but IMO a very weakly built story.

I have been playing Star Wars Galaxies for well over 3 years now, and I'll play this game to the very end.
Here's a not-so-recent photo of part of my Bunker house (Yes, I said HOUSE... The only game that I know of that offers COMPLETE total customization of Player Housing).... Yes, I did do the decorating myself.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Faalstar,

I've posted a little bit on the forum there, as well. You can find me listed as treeofmana (manaman being already in use). PM or message me if you feel like it.

Also, where did you find out it would be free-to-play? I kind of want to confirm this as it would basically make my day if that were the case.

Peace,

manaman
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

I read it in an article waaaaaaay back... I'll try and to dig it up.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Thanks, man!

Hey, so . . . anyone else interested in this game? Is it just Faalstar and me?

Peace,

manaman
ytwars
Chess Knight

Post by ytwars »

It looks cool, but my computer isn't the best and it really sucks because I'm obsessed with Star Wars(read more than 2/3 of the books and my icon and the website in another tab.. I need a life), hopefully it will end up on 360!!!!!
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Being the Star Wars fan that I am (yes, I did catch my name mentioned up there manaman), and having played both other KotOR games, I'll most likely end up playing this also, though I'll probably have to update the wife's computer so she can too.

We'll see...
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Ten points for Gryffindor! . . . I thiefed it first.
Varius41
Eye Spy

Post by Varius41 »

Stoked. Absolutely stoked. I have been a long-time fan of Star Wars games, starting off with Tie Fighter and and X-wing, Dark Force, and the very frustrating Rebel Assault. Played a few of the SNES titles, but didn't really have more fun than I did with N64's Rogue Squadron... I spent sooooo much time working on achieving a gold for every mission. I had all but 1 mission and someone overwrote my save file... I'm used to it.
Shadows of the Empire was also addicting for quite a bit.
In the next era of console games, KoToR was amazing. Great story, and mechanics that were just a little slow but worked great. The dialogue options were very high quality, as you would expect from bioware. KoToR II would have been almost as good as I, had they actually finished the game. Hopefully, Project Gizka will come through sometime soon :O

This all leads up to saying (tl;dr, if you will) that I anticipate great things from this game. Bioware has been a great company since day 1, and they've always put forth quality games. Heck, they even single-handedly kept the PCRPG genre from dying off completely with the release of Baldur's Gate.

Super TL;DR version:
HECK YES.
ytwars
Chess Knight

Post by ytwars »

Is anyone reading the comic?
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Hey there,

Varius41, ah, you mention so many good games. I was a big fan of Rogue Squadron--though I was also a big fan of the Super Star Wars series. I remember how hard it was to get gold on every mission in Rogue Squadron and the day I finally did it was a wonderful day.

ytwars, I have been. I think it's pretty good--short, but good. I really appreciate all that BioWare and LucasArts is doing for the fans. It seems they are really trying to get a lot of content out there.

Peace,

manaman
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Jedi Power Battles(PSX) was awesome. It had multiplayer so you could hack and slash with a buddy. Put it on a large scale and add RPG elements to it.

I smell a hit!
Last edited by DeadWolf on Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Ha ha!

I hadn't made that connection; but, yes, that was a fun game. Thanks for making me think about it. I think I want to go play it now!

Peace,

manaman
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

Teaser-Trailer for SW:TOR released at E3

:hof: Clicky