Star Trek! the 'Coming Very Soon' frontier

Multimedia discussion fun for all!

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

I was surprised I actually really enjoyed it.

It helped when I forced myself to think of it as a separate entity. I mean it's not canon, it happened in an alternate reality. When I kept that in the back of my mind and just watched it as any sci-fi flick with Star Trek in mind, I really enjoyed it.

It didn't feel very "Trek" at all like I predicted. It's heavily action packed and heavily comedy oriented, neither of which fits the movies particularly and especially not the series. I have to say though I don't think I've ever seen a bigger action movie. It was insane all the action scenes, but I really did enjoy them.

The only things that I really hated was Simon Pegg and the SpockxUhura relationship. Funny really, I love Simon Pegg, but he was the absolute worse Scotty imaginable. I'm convinced I could play the role better than he did. Spock and Uhura? Where in the Hell did that come form? Not only did it not fit, it didn't make sense. I mean what, did the meet while Spock was teaching at the Academy and happen to fall in love? It felt like it was their for just some fanservice or shits and giggles.

The comments on the internet about the actor who played McCoy and how bad his use of "McCoyism" were I totally missed. I think there were what... three McCoyisms in the movie and none of them were delivered awkwardly.

All in all it was a great movie as it was, and might even be a decent Star Trek movie, but considering all of the series and the movies it was mediocre. Just depends on how I want to define it.
Tekka wrote:You didn't think McCoy went into overkill on the "Damn it man!" "I'm a doctor not a blah blah blah.", etc? Every time he was on screen it seemed like he had to say one, it was awful.
DeForrest Kelley did that in every movie and it was very abundant in ToS. You could argue it was out of place there to begin with, but as far as emulating Kelley, emulating McCoy, is was pretty spot on.
Last edited by Tsurayu on Sun May 10, 2009 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

Maybe I'm crazy then, but that level of acting simply isn't acceptable to me. It's bad, like first season of Babylon 5 bad.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

OK, lessie.

McCoy: Personally, I think he had the part down to a T. It didn't feel awkward to me, and that's how I remember McCoy in TOS. HOWEVER, I think the impression that it was overkill is more down to the fact that so much screen time is spent with "ooooh, shiny!" instead of actors having screentime, that the writers/directors then felt that they had to cram in as many nod-to-original-cast tidbits to ensure that there was identifiable character continuity.

Spock-Uhura: Typical modern-day Holywood crud. Every film has to have a love story now, doesn't it. HHGTTG had it, in spite every other version distinctly depicting Trillian not liking Arthur at all, just to name one (though at least they MOSTLY pulled it off in that one... kinda... not much...). Did they pull it off in Star Trek? Er, no. Mixed with the fact that Uhura blagged herself on to the Enterprise, it just made her look like a manipulative [TOASTY].

Storyline: Not much of one. It worked, as an action film, as Tekka said. Doesn't necessarily have any deep, meaningful exploration of humanity characteristic of the Star Trek series, but overall it was alright. Kirk being admited into StarFleet with a criminal record? Hm, not quite as believable. Becoming first officer after stowing onto a ship, in spite saving it? VERY unlikely, TBH. My theory on this is time-repair. As in so many cases where Quantum is involved, where a change in the past has altered future events, Time will still try to pull things back to where they were supposed to be as much as it can. Ergo, in spite not having been inspired by his father to join StarFleet, he's convinced (while drunk) to join anyway. He makes it to captain instead of Spock because that's where he's supposed to be in the other time line, boom de yadda boom de yadda.

The fact is, all things considered, I wouldn't mind seeing it again. I enjoyed it, in spite its failings, and it'll give me a chance to pick at it further.
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

I forgot I also wanted to mention Kirk's promotion...

Cadet -> Captain.

Probably the fastest promotion ever.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

(without bedsheets)
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Hmm,

I guess I have to admit my bias. I am a devoted Star Wars fan and so if you guys are saying this was more Star-Wars-ian than Trekkish, then I guess that makes a lot of sense. As for the lines, I've lived with a deep love and fascination with camp for a number of years now. If I didn't, how could I survive enjoying the prequels (Star Wars, the remakes (World of Mana) and the bizarre (The Spirit)?

I guess this movie just came at a good time. I've even enjoyed the iPod Touch game which I purchased last night despite critics reviews.

Peace,

manaman
Koeia
BuzzBee

Post by Koeia »

..no time to write lots..

The movie was AWESOME!
i liked it, and im gonna watch it again.

1st fav scene: "we'll be arriving at vulcan in 5 seconds"

Voom* Tons of debris everywhere :D

Sound&music was goood. CG was nice on the eyes.
Characters were charasmatic enough, (for startrek newbies like me)

Chekov's accent pwned.

>Cadet -> Captain.
>
>Probably the fastest promotion ever.

Yup.
(You can make officer in 4 years)
I'll make it in 3.
3 days that is..
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Hey all,

SPOILER ALERT! You should check out this :hof: video. It's GREAT! And I have to say, I think it's a big reason I enjoyed this movie.

Peace,

manaman
Koeia
BuzzBee

Post by Koeia »

manaman wrote:Hey all,

SPOILER ALERT! You should check out this :hof: video. It's GREAT! And I have to say, I think it's a big reason I enjoyed this movie.

Peace,

manaman
うはwwwwww
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Not a big fan of Star Trek, but it was okay.

As for the alternate reality bit, I can buy that.
Anise
Metal Crawler

Post by Anise »

I WATCHED IT :D finally................
NightshadeTea
Tomato Man

Post by NightshadeTea »

I just saw it two days ago and was pleasantly surprised! I thought that by the previews it was just going to be an over glorified big-budgeted buffet of suck, boy was I wrong! I loved the storytelling, accuracy to the characters (though the pairing was interesting. Not sure what to say on that. Hot couple, so I can forgive it being non-canon. XD ), graphics. A few points I though the plot was a touch weak, but that was largely overruled by the massive amounts of win.

Koeia wrote:Yup.
(You can make officer in 4 years)
I'll make it in 3.
3 days that is..
Hey, if it take no more than two weeks for a teenager and a sparkly vampire to decide that they should be together for eternity based on nothing but good looks and angst, then surely Kirk can do better!

*runs and hides from Twilight fans*
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

And what did you think, Anise?
Anise
Metal Crawler

Post by Anise »

I loved it. Absolutely epic :DDDDDD
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Yes,

I would definitely call it epic. Good times.

Peace,

manaman