Insomnia and Other Sleep Problems

A place where you can chat about whatever.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Delvar
Crawler

Post by Delvar »

I know I haven't really been around for months, maybe even a year or more, but I'm trying to visit Seikens more often, as you may have noticed.

Anyway, as the subject suggests, I'm having severe sleep problems. During the day, I'm fatigued and barely functional. As soon as my head hits the pillow at night, I'm wide awake, and awake until about 5am, when I sleep until about 8am. Sometimes I sleep a bit more, sometimes I don't sleep at all. I don't usually get more than 6 hours of sleep and a lot of my "sleep" is being half asleep or still fairly conscious.

I've learned that you not only need sleep for physical reasons, but mental ones too. Sleep is your brain's opportunity to process things, and lack of sleep leads you to being mentally overloaded. Which leads to stress. I'm at my wits end!

I know most of the looping infomercials off by heart, and my eyes look like I've been bawwing for days, red, puffy, bags :(

So, have you ever had sleeping problems like this? What did you do to try and get to sleep? I'll try pretty much anything! :(
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

My favourite way of staving off insomnia is to burn off a little energy before I go to sleep, and maybe have a glass or two of milk, which will fill my stomach decently. Then after ten minutes or so I'll start to get really groggy, and I'll head off to bed.
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Hey Delvar. It's good to see you back again :)

I'm afraid I can't really help you with sleep problems though. I'm one of those people who nearly always sleeps a solid night.

Have you tried the usual sleeping advice?
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Nytol is my friend. Considering I switch sleep patterns almost on a daily basis, it's about the only thing that keeps me sleeping and sane.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

I end up taking a sleep aid to get me to sleep. That's the only solution I can give.
Delvar
Crawler

Post by Delvar »

Kimiko: Yup, tried all the usuals. I've got a book on 50 ways to get better sleep and I've tried most of them.

I guess I'm just going to have to settle for medications. I only really use them if I have something important going on.

Nytol, huh? Wiki tells me it's a sedative antihistamine. Those things used to work like a charm, but they don't seem to affect me as much anymore. Same with strong pain killers. Sleeping pills like stillnox still work, but they usually turn me into a hallucinating zombie.

Oh, and, Kassidy, what has you switching sleeping patterns all the time? Work? Caring for infant wildlife?

And all the drinking milk type remedies used to work, now they do nothing :(

Thanks for your suggestions though!
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Work. My normal schedule is:
Day 1: 0730-1930
Day 2: 0730-1930
Day 3: 1930-0730
Day 4: 1930-0730
Day 5-8: Off

This week days 5 and 6 were 1930-0730 too though.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I have bad insomnia and I take sleeping pills for it usually.

Back in highschool I would barely sleep 2-4 hours a night and still manage to run cross-country and do other stuff in athletics. Dunno how I was able to keep up with that but somehow I did.
That was back before I took sleeping medicine.

Even though I have the medicine I try to avoid taking it as much as possible, I only use it when I know I have to get up early.

I think the best way to take care of insomnia though is to force yourself to be active during the day. You've also got to force yourself to get up at normal times. College really helps me with this because I have to walk a couple of miles up and down stairs each day getting places. It wasn't until summer break started that my insomnia began giving me any problems again.

That's just how I look at it, even doing this and taking the pills though I still end up lying awake for 1-3 hours before I actually get any sleep. But I get enough sleep to not be tired during the day so it works out fine for me.
Anise
Metal Crawler

Post by Anise »

I cant help you. I have the same problem,,,,,,,,,,,
NightshadeTea
Tomato Man

Post by NightshadeTea »

I used to have that problem (though not as severe) about a year ago... now I sleep too much. >_O

I would honestly suggest exercise during the day. It makes what little sleep you get more efficient. However, if you've tried as many techniques (and honestly tried, not just pretend you did) as you say, you should probably see a doctor. From the sounds of it, you need some medical assistance. Make sure the sleeping pills you take are really right for you.
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

sorry i cannot share any stories.
I haven't got any sleepingproblems and don't take pills.

(hurray!)
Aurora_Borealis
BuzzBee

Post by Aurora_Borealis »

The only time I can't sleep is when I wake up in the middle of the night and I try to go back to sleep and my brother is snoring like an elephant giving birth to a whale in the next room... Other than that, I'm a deep sleeper. You should try some hot cocoa before going to bed, it eases your body and makes it more susceptible to calling it a day and getting some rest...
Delvar
Crawler

Post by Delvar »

I actually tried a memory foam pillow last night to see if my pillows were the problem, and I think it worked. I don't have a stiff neck this morning and I slept for 5 hours! problem... solvered? :D

Thanks for all your replies gaiz!