Lock's Quest

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Quemaqua
Silktail

Post by Quemaqua »

Why didn't anyone ever tell me about this game and how awesome it is? It's like Tower Defense: The Action/Adventure/RPG or something. Found a cheap copy at a game store yesterday and stayed up rather way too late playing it. Totally wicked fun.

Check it out.
Last edited by Quemaqua on Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Ah so it is good?

I was thinking of buying it but then I guess I forgot it existed. Got anymore to say about it that could persuade me to stop being lazy and try it?
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

I don't like tower defense games...

good luck!
Quemaqua
Silktail

Post by Quemaqua »

It isn't really like Tower Defense exactly, but that's the basic concept it stems from. I won't bother with details on the story as I'm not far enough in to know how good it does or doesn't end up being, but the basic premise has Lock going from settlement to settlement as these robotic minions known as Clockworks run around the countryside trying to kill everybody off. There's a basic energy source they just call "source" which these things use to animate themselves, and (of course) they give it you when you destroy them and you use it as the general currency for constructing and repairing walls/turrets/traps/helpers. So you'll head to a town, you get a few minutes to set up defenses around it as you see fit, then you basically get to run around as the actual character while your turrets and traps go to work on the enemies that come. They spawn in waves, and you have to survive and keep whatever objective from being taken until a timer expires. During this time you can move freely, fighting enemies when it seems prudent to do so, and repairing the various defenses you've set up. Your health regenerates when you leave combat for a while, so you'll often fight a bit until you can take much more, then run off and try to fix up things that have broken down. At the end of this, you go back into build mode, where you can spend more of the source you've earned to construct more defenses, replace stuff that got destroyed, or add a few new things since you may have some more source to work with. This build->battle->build process goes on several times, with the enemy waves getting more difficult and more varied as far as enemy types as things progress.

It's really pretty cool. Again, it isn't exactly a Tower Defense game, so don't take that initial comparison too much too heart, but there are similarities in that you're constructing defenses and trying to kill off waves of enemies as best you can; but they usually come from several directions, and they don't just follow a single path where you place towers on either side. It seems you generally construct barricades thus far, but I'm still early in the game, as I said.

But yes, very cool. Give it a try. Apparently these are the same guys responsible for the much-lauded E3 showing of Scribblenauts.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

And Drawn to Life, right? I can't remember. . . .
Quemaqua
Silktail

Post by Quemaqua »

Yeah. I haven't actually played that one, but I hear it isn't terribly great. Good concept, but didn't quite make a compelling game. Nonetheless, they seem to be full of cool ideas.